Author Topic: NFL Playoffs thread  (Read 23895 times)

Re: NFL Playoffs thread
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2020, 12:12:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Niners D picked the worst time to start sucking—the last six minutes of the game was some of the worst crunch-time defense I've ever seen.

but you need to give PM credit as well

that semi hail mary pass was god mode

that pass doesn't connect and not sure if Chiefs gain momentum and pull it off

Eh. That pass (and another previously) hung up there forever, begging to be picked off, but Niners defenders were nowhere near the play. It wasn't like Mahomes threaded the needle there.

yes he did

if that is not threading the needle pass than what is??

down the middle in traffic are not the only variety

Jimmy G tried the same heil mary but it was too long

Its not as easy as you think

« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2020, 12:26:21 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yet another choke by Shanahan.

how is this another choke? when did he choke prior to?

28-3

come again?

You do realize who Shanahan was before he was HC of the Niners, right?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2020, 02:33:02 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
President Trump was quick to congratulate the Chiefs on their win. A little too quick perhaps. Maybe he should have checked Google Earth first.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/481130-trump-shares-then-deletes-tweet-praising-chiefs-for-representing

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2020, 02:41:28 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
President Trump was quick to congratulate the Chiefs on their win. A little too quick perhaps. Maybe he should have checked Google Earth first.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/481130-trump-shares-then-deletes-tweet-praising-chiefs-for-representing

LOL what a silly idiot

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2020, 06:41:21 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

LOL what a silly idiot

Come on now, children all over the US thought the same thing.

« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2020, 07:43:05 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I really thought when Sanders broke free on that last Niners drive, that they were gonna win. Jimmy G really blew it on that pass.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2020, 08:01:18 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

This is really something else. I like how we've come to just accept that Trump casually makes these kinds of mistakes even though it is just basic U.S. geography...and he is the president of the U.S. Before I lay into him too much more, I will give it a chance to be disproven as fake. Was this by the Onion, or something?

Anyway, rough ending for the Niners. Wasn't rooting for Mahomes necessarily, but it's much less likely that he gets 6 rings than the Niners get their 6th (tying Pats and Steelers).

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2020, 08:09:46 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

LOL what a silly idiot

Come on now, children all over the US thought the same thing.

Haha.

That said, Kansas City is weird geographically.  There are really two Kansas City’s which abut each other, one on the Missouri side and one on the Kansas side.  Arrowhead is only seven miles from the Kansas border.

My random guess is that Kansas City has a higher percentage of fans in Kansas than Missouri, where there may be divided loyalties with the Rams and Bears.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2020, 08:38:30 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I only was able to watch the 4th quarter, but that was a heck of an ending. KC really poured it on at the end. That Mahomes kid is something special, you're not holding him down forever.

Happy for KC fans, it's been a long wait since their last SB. Also happy for Andy Reid, he finally got that monkey off of his back.

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2020, 09:06:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Josh Dubow
@JoshDubowAP
Kyle Shanahan's 7 career drives as play caller in 4th quarter of Super Bowl:
3 plays, fumble
6 plays, punt
4 plays, punt
5 plays, punt
3 plays, punt
7 plays, turnover on downs
2 plays, INT

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2020, 09:57:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yet another choke by Shanahan.

how is this another choke? when did he choke prior to?

28-3

come again?

You do realize who Shanahan was before he was HC of the Niners, right?

I do

and??

The defense led Atlanta down + Brady heroics

Yesterday I'm not sure he should be the one blamed.  Jimmy G/receiver miscue resulting in a interception for example .... is not the coaches fault 

Also that was a heck of a semi hail mary throw by PM.  Like I pointed out already, that one doesn't hit and Chiefs may have not won

« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
Could be worse, he could've promised to campaign in all of our 57 states.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2020, 10:18:17 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I really thought when Sanders broke free on that last Niners drive, that they were gonna win. Jimmy G really blew it on that pass.

Chiefs still had 3 timeouts with probably a minute or less left so that's still enough time for Mahomes to throw a quick, 3-play TD pass lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2020, 10:19:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Still don't know what heck the Niners were doing at the end of the first half. 

« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2020, 10:32:41 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Shanahan absolutely choked in both the Falcons game and yesterday.  His play calling is atrocious.  The Falcons win the Superbowl if on 2nd and 11 up 8 with under 5 minutes left in FG range if the Falcons just take knees, but instead of running the ball, he calls a pass on 2nd and 11, Ryan gets sacked for -12 yards.  So now it is 3rd and 23 from the 35 (still FG range), but there is holding on yet another pass play, so now it is 3rd and 33 from the 45 and no longer in FG range.  Incomplete pass and a punt back to NE with 3:40 left and a 1 score game.  NE of course drives down the field gets the TD, gets the 2 point, and ties the game. 

That is the perhaps the worst coaching sequence in Superbowl history.  The Falcons win the game if they just run the ball 2 more times, even if they lose yards (like they did on 1st down) they are still in FG range and a FG there wins the game (the runs also eat up a ton of clock or force NE to take timeouts). 

Yesterday, Shanahan did the same thing in the 4th quarter.  Niners are up by 3 with 6:13 left and have a 1st and 10 on their own 20.  On 1st down they hand the ball off and get 5 yards.  So what do they do on 2nd and 5, hey lets drop back into shotgun and throw the ball.  yeah that seems like the right strategy.  Incomplete pass.  Another pass on 3rd and 5, again incomplete pass.  Punt back to the Chiefs with over 5 minutes left and 0 timeouts taken.  Horrible play calling sequence.  I mean you don't trust your QB to throw the ball at the end of the 1st half (the no timeout was a poor decision as well), but you trust him to throw the ball with the game hanging in the balance when you still have the lead as time is winding down.  Even if runs on 2nd and 3rd down don't get a 1st down, you've taken well over a minute off the clock (instead of less than 10 seconds), but what do you think the odds of the Chiefs actually stopping the Niners 2 plays only needing 5 yards was.  I'd say very small.  The Niners might not have won the game getting a 1st down there, but their odds of doing so would have dramatically increased.  And the game is riddled with this weird play calling.  I mean even the first FG scoring drive, the Niners are running the ball down the Chiefs throats getting to the KC 25, they then throw the ball 3 straight times for 0 yards net (they had a 5 yard offside to move a bit closer) and settle for a FG. 

Shanahan got horribly outclassed as a coach in that game.  A better offensive game plan and the Niners win that game easily (as it played out, maybe not if they played the game again).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip