Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 118306 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2020, 09:23:19 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
There's probably zero chance Memphis would bite but if we could flip 14 for Valanciunas that would be awesome.  Matching salary would be difficult, though.

As for actually using the pick, it's really hard to say.  There's so many ways the draft could go.  There are some players in that range I would stay away from (Maxey, Anthony, Hampton) but otherwise I'm not sure I have a preference.  If Hayes somehow falls that far I'd definitely take him, I just don't think he'll fall that far.

« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2020, 10:34:10 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
I haven't looked at draft stuff at all.

All I will say is I hope Danny drafts somebody who was highly productive in college and who projects as an impact player right away.

Tired of raw prospects who might do something a few years down the line.  This team needs productive supporting players to bolster Jay and Jay now, not a few years from now. 

You never know how long we will have Jay and Jay playing together like this.  Have to take advantage of it.

I don't mind trading the 14th pick. The time to win is now, not to develop rookies who might become the next Terry Rozier or Kelly Olynyk.

100%

This pick and another, maybe, for a quality vet big.
Do you reckon Jarrett Allen could be pried away from Brooklyn for cheap? He’s not a vet, but he’s clearly out of favour there, as KD and Kyrie want their buddy DJ to start, and Jacques Vaughn seems to be on board. Allen also showed some really improved passing in the bubble.

We could also try and pry away John Collins, but I’m unsure of his fit and defence.

If we do go through the draft, I’d like Kira Lewis Jr. Guard who can score from all over, shoots the 3, plays passing lanes pretty well and is a solid passer. He’s lightning going to the rim - would make a great replacement for Wanamaker & could learn off Kemba

Please no to Jared Allen.  Low iq.

John Collins I would be on board for.

Dont think atl will trade him though

I’ve seen a lot of Jared Allen and low IQ is just not a title I’d give him, I just don’t see that.  Javale, whiteside, Capela are who I believe have low IQ, but not Allen. Allen seems like a smart guy to me and would mix well with Brown for sure.

« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2020, 10:47:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If I was taking a boom or bust pick at 14 I'd take Jaden McDaniels. He has serious upside but wasn't very efficient. It would be interesting see him developed.

I doubt he will be available at 14.  Just too much upside to pass up.  Someone like Cole Anthony will drop instead.

The top 12 I have (in no order)

Edwards
Wiseman
Toppin
Vassell
Haliburton
Hayes
Okongwu
Avdija
Ball
Okoro
Patrick Williams
Jaden Mcdaniels
Jaden McDaniels is projected to go 25-30 because he's not very good at the moment. He's a very inefficient scorer (eFG of 47%, TS% of 51.5), he's physically weak, turns it over a lot (over 20% turnover rate), doesn't have a great wingspan (6'11.5" for a 6'10" guy) and didn't contribute to wins by any real advanced metric. Bad offensive and defensive box +/- and weak win shares on both ends.

There is no way he's worth a lottery pick given there are at least 5 SF's better than him in Avdija, Okoro, Nesmith, Saddiq Bey & Tyler Bey, and 5 PF's better than him in Okongwu, Toppin, Williams, Poku and Jalen Smith.

Didnt you just describe Fultz or Langford(school situation) in a nutshell?

Going to a bad school doesnt mean you are a bad player

And having a 6'10 wingspan but is also close to 6'10... you left that part out

He was a rookie. He has things to iron out. But he has innate skills, that some guys could never develop/execute even with hours of work

I'm looking at his upside more than ground work

This is how he slips out of top 10. Celts can then try to refine his body, efficiency etc. Like they have done and will continue to do with Langford

Regarding Triboy binkie Jaden McDaniels: 

He averaged an inefficient 0.82 points per possession on offense, which ranked in the 41st percentile in the nation. Meanwhile, his turnover rate (23.4%) was among the bottom 25 among all high-major freshmen. He also committed 4.3 fouls per 40 minutes on defense, which ranked in the bottom 20 among all high-major freshmen.

Please, no thank you.

« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2020, 10:58:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Post lottery mocks have us taking 14 as follows:

ESPN: Killian Hayes (unlikely to be there IMO)
SBNation: Cole Anthony (yuck)
Sports Illustrated: Maledon (meh)
NBC Sports and Tankathon: Pat Williams (raw)
CBS Sports: Aaron Nesmith (solid choice if available)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:30:12 AM by footey »

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
If I was taking a boom or bust pick at 14 I'd take Jaden McDaniels. He has serious upside but wasn't very efficient. It would be interesting see him developed.

I doubt he will be available at 14.  Just too much upside to pass up.  Someone like Cole Anthony will drop instead.

Edwards
Wiseman
Toppin
Vassell
Haliburton
Hayes
Okongwu
Avdija
Ball
Okoro
Patrick Williams
Jaden Mcdaniels
Jaden McDaniels is projected to go 25-30 because he's not very good at the moment. He's a very inefficient scorer (eFG of 47%, TS% of 51.5), he's physically weak, turns it over a lot (over 20% turnover rate), doesn't have a great wingspan (6'11.5" for a 6'10" guy) and didn't contribute to wins by any real advanced metric. Bad offensive and defensive box +/- and weak win shares on both ends.

There is no way he's worth a lottery pick given there are at least 5 SF's better than him in Avdija, Okoro, Nesmith, Saddiq Bey & Tyler Bey, and 5 PF's better than him in Okongwu, Toppin, Williams, Poku and Jalen Smith.

He was a rookie. He has things to iron out. But he has innate skills, that some guys could never develop/execute even with hours of work

This is how he slips out of top 10. Celts can then try to refine his body, efficiency etc. Like they have done and will continue to do with Langford

He averaged an inefficient 0.82 points per possession on offense, which ranked in the 41st percentile in the nation. Meanwhile, his turnover rate (23.4%) was among the bottom 25 among all high-major freshmen. He also committed 4.3 fouls per 40 minutes on defense, which ranked in the bottom 20 among all high-major freshmen.

Please, no thank you.

Agree. No thanks on McDaniels. He's one of those guys with perpetual potential without a lot of actual improvement.

« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2020, 11:29:56 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Latest ESPN Mock shows the C's sitting at 14 with Killian Hayes, Cole Anthony, Tyrese Maxey, Theo Maledon, and RJ Hampton sitting there still (to name a few.

My preference coming in this year is PG because of Walkers age and health.

I think if Hayes is there, he's the guy.  The wild card to me is Hampton.  Top five recruit, decided to play pro ball in Australia.  Some say he'll be a SG, I don't know, maybe he becomes another Avery Bradley type except bigger.

I might even deal 14 and 26 to move up around 9/10 (based on draft position points) just to get my guard I want.

I'd happily throw in #30, as well, if it helped us move up, but I don't think that #14, 28 and 30 get us there. Hard to believe that anyone wants three guaranteed contracts in this draft.

Mike

« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2020, 11:33:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Edwards
Wiseman
Toppin
Vassell
Haliburton
Hayes
Okongwu
Avdija
Ball
Okoro
Patrick Williams
Jaden Mcdaniels

Please, no thank you.

Not binkie lol

I also like Patrick Williams, Nesmith

The nitpicking on McDaniels is a little strong imo.  He was just a freshman.  There are plenty who perform worst in their 1st season just to bounce back in their 2nd season. 

McDaniels needs a better coach and needs to add pounds.  Some of the problems he had was difficulty finishing near the basket due to inability to finish through contact. 

We saw this same problem with Tatum in his first year.  And since he has added some weight, this aspect has improved. 

Again I like McDaniels height,  shooting stroke and handles for a player his size. But he is not a finished product by any means/doesn't mean is a safe pick
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:48:29 AM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2020, 11:38:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Edwards
Wiseman
Toppin
Vassell
Haliburton
Hayes
Okongwu
Avdija
Ball
Okoro
Patrick Williams
Jaden Mcdaniels

Please, no thank you.

Agree. No thanks on McDaniels. He's one of those guys with perpetual potential without a lot of actual improvement.

so you expect a freshman from college to be a finished product? 

If he was a finished product. Added 20 pounds of mass (Would take work for sure)  and didn't try to do too much  (shore up inefficiency) ... would that change your mind?

Outside of these two matters,  his rebounding numbers and blocks per game were pretty decent.   At times he did have hard times finishing near the net/through contact, but at least he doesn't shy away from contact
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:47:21 AM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2020, 11:44:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I could see Danny liking the potential of Patrick Williams or Aaron Nesmith

Nesmith is about 6'5 or 6'6 but has a 6'9 or 6'10 wingspan.   Has sneaky explosiveness and can come out with rebounds when least expected

Obviously his 3 point shooting was marvelous last season.  And he understands his limitations/doesn't try to do too much

Could be a nice complimentary piece for Tatum, Brown, Walker.    Open up the floor and provide versatile defense

Just not too sure if he will still be there at 14

Patrick Williams is another guy that I like. But lots of folks have him taken by the Spurs.   

« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2020, 12:08:22 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Edwards
Wiseman
Toppin
Vassell
Haliburton
Hayes
Okongwu
Avdija
Ball
Okoro
Patrick Williams
Jaden Mcdaniels

Please, no thank you.

If he was a finished product. Added 20 pounds of mass (Would take work for sure)  and didn't try to do too much  (shore up inefficiency) ... would that change your mind?

Outside of these two matters,  his rebounding numbers and blocks per game were pretty decent.   At times he did have hard times finishing near the net/through contact, but at least he doesn't shy away from contact

I expect to see improvement in two years instead of hearing about the same struggles despite the same potential for that whole time.

« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Edwards
Wiseman
Toppin
Vassell
Haliburton
Hayes
Okongwu
Avdija
Ball
Okoro
Patrick Williams
Jaden Mcdaniels

Please, no thank you.

I expect to see improvement in two years instead of hearing about the same struggles despite the same potential for that whole time.

He was just a freshman last season.   He is only still 19 years old

not sure where you get two years from

« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2020, 01:15:47 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
This might go against the grain a little bit, but wouldn't mind rolling this pick forward. Washington's supposedly looking real strongly into trading up in the draft, and turning 14 (maybe throw in one of the three later picks as well) into a protected 2022 first from the Wizards could be a nice way to preserve a trade chip.

« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2020, 01:27:06 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Edwards
Wiseman
Toppin
Vassell
Haliburton
Hayes
Okongwu
Avdija
Ball
Okoro
Patrick Williams
Jaden Mcdaniels

Please, no thank you.

He was just a freshman last season.   He is only still 19 years old

not sure where you get two years from

I've been aware of him since looking at his brother, Jalen, as a prospect. He made a leap at around 16 or 17 years old but hasn't done a whole lot of improving since then.

« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2020, 02:02:55 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
So on my very modest wish list :

14th :
_ first choice : Nesmith because he could bring scoring from the bench and we need one 3 point specialist from there (who probably won't be Carsen Edwards). Just hope we won't miss him by one place, like last year T Herro...
_ Second choice : P Williams. One of the prospects, whom, even being quiet raw, is one of the more probable to progress. Negative : it would maybe later put Grant out of the team, as I think he is too small to play center.
_ Third choice : Maledon. Maybe a little high but he begun the year higher than that in the rankings and felt too much in my opinion. He is probably, as I said, the guy who played in the biggest adersity (euroleague), and if he was a little inconsistant, he played very correctly for a men of 18 years old (now 19). I really think he will have a long career in NBA if his body stays OK, as he is smart, work ethic, determined and has already a good knowledge of the game.
PS : of course if Killian Hayes is still available or even Avidja (if we trade Gordy) it's a no brainer... But it won't happen.

26 :
_ First choice : Maybe try a trade with Kanter (if opt in) or Theis and fillers, if a good big is available for cheap (Allen, Robinson, Valanciunas). If nead give also the 30th with it or a future first.
_ Second choice : combine with 30 to take Maledon at 20-24
_ Third choice : stash Pokusevski or take a correct big like P Reed

30 :
_ Tillman if we want another blue collar in the paint or trade it ...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:36:18 PM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2020, 01:47:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Sam Vecenie and John Hollinger on Game Theory Podcast speculating on Boston's 14th pick, thought that CLE (5), Detroit (7) or even NY (8) may be interested in trading their 1st round pick for Boston's 14, 26 and 30th. Since they need to develop their roster depth.

I would do that to get Killian Hayes or Deven Vassell, one of whom should be available there.   Point is there may be interest in teams wanting to trade down due to their need to fill roster space and lock in longer cheap contracts. Boston is in better position, draft pick wise, to trade up than any other team. Also motivated given our roster situation.