Author Topic: IT's comeback in Denver comes to halt  (Read 5674 times)

Re: IT's comeback in Denver comes to halt
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 09:55:34 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The fact that IT can finally play again is a great sign. He just needs to accept the fact that a max deal isn’t coming and hit the reset button, like he already has in going to Denver. There will be plenty of job openings next season for a scoring threat off the bench. If he can fully embrace that role, then he should be fine. Maybe he can turn himself into the next Jamal Crawford or Lou Williams.

“Reset” is a great way to think of it.  Apologies in advance for the melodrama, but I’ve recently had to reset or recalibrate my life based on a med issue, and put in perspective, if IT has to reset from what he hoped would be a $100+ million deal to a $30M deal I get that it’s disappointing, but I bet (and hope) he adjusts without too much difficulty.   

He gave great effort here and I hope he continues to be an inspiration to all us guys  5’9” and under.
No one is giving IT a 30M deal.  He'll be lucky to get more than the vet minimum.
If not here, then in Europe -- ?? - you don't think he gets a $6M/ year contract.  I believe you as I have no idea, but I would have thought differently.
He's currently on a 1 year/2M contract.  He's only played 9 games this season and has not looked good so he hasn't proven himself.  No one is going to commit 30M to him whether its over 1 year or 5 years.  It is hard to see which team would really want him and there are plenty of decent PGs available.  Overseas I'd think China would probably be his best bet for making money but I don't think anyone makes 6M per year overseas.

Dwayne Wade was reportedly offered 3yr/25m from a team in China

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24183612/free-agent-dwyane-wade-offered-three-year-25-million-deal-play-china

Free-agent guard Dwyane Wade has been offered a three-year, $25 million contract by the Zhejiang Golden Bulls, according to Chinese media reports.

The deal, which is before taxes, would make Wade the highest-paid player in China, slightly ahead of Andray Blatche, who plays for Xinjiang in the Chinese Basketball Association.

It also would be one of the largest overseas deals ever. Josh Childress received $6 million after taxes from Greek club Olympiacos in 2008.
Wade is a much bigger name than IT.  Also that Wade's offer may have only been partially guaranteed.  This article has details on CBA contracts, incentives, perks, etc for foreign players. 
https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/10/chinese-basketball-free-agents-negotiations-pierre-aaron-jackson/

Yes Wade is a much bigger name and far more accomplished

In your link, Norris Cole made 5M on a one year contract in 2016.

It might be more $ to go to Europe if offers don’t improve..Like Wanamaker and Larkin turning down more $ overseas

Was Denver the only team to offer IT? Don’t remember

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 09:59:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
You can't expect IT to come back to the team and be ready to contribute right off the bat. The coach is thinking more about putting the best product he can out there, in preparation for the upcoming playoffs. At this point that may not include IT.

He'll need this summer to work on his game, better his stamina and timing, besides getting healthier. He'll have definite value next year. He's only 29.

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 10:28:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You can't expect IT to come back to the team and be ready to contribute right off the bat. The coach is thinking more about putting the best product he can out there, in preparation for the upcoming playoffs. At this point that may not include IT.

He'll need this summer to work on his game, better his stamina and timing, besides getting healthier. He'll have definite value next year. He's only 29.
His value next year will still be as vet minimum player. No one in the NBA is going to give him more than that next year, not after missing 123 out of his last 164 games(assuming he doesn't play anymore this year).

No team is rolling out even a tiny sized Brink's truck for a guy who hasn't played much over the last two years and has been an inefficient checker while also being the worst defensive player in the league, when he has played.

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 02:56:16 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I'm gonna quote Doc Rivers when asked about Nate The Great: "he is going to win us a playoff game"

same thing with Isaiah, no doubt
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 03:33:08 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I'm gonna quote Doc Rivers when asked about Nate The Great: "he is going to win us a playoff game"

same thing with Isaiah, no doubt

That Game 5 with Glen Davis, oh man Shrek and Donkey combo. The championship could've been had in that game if the team took care of business in Game 3.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 07:58:22 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If Kyrie bolt, wouldnt mind seeing Thomas return to Beantown but on a cheap contract..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 08:39:04 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The fact that IT can finally play again is a great sign. He just needs to accept the fact that a max deal isn’t coming and hit the reset button, like he already has in going to Denver. There will be plenty of job openings next season for a scoring threat off the bench. If he can fully embrace that role, then he should be fine. Maybe he can turn himself into the next Jamal Crawford or Lou Williams.

“Reset” is a great way to think of it.  Apologies in advance for the melodrama, but I’ve recently had to reset or recalibrate my life based on a med issue, and put in perspective, if IT has to reset from what he hoped would be a $100+ million deal to a $30M deal I get that it’s disappointing, but I bet (and hope) he adjusts without too much difficulty.   

He gave great effort here and I hope he continues to be an inspiration to all us guys  5’9” and under.
No one is giving IT a 30M deal.  He'll be lucky to get more than the vet minimum.
If not here, then in Europe -- ?? - you don't think he gets a $6M/ year contract.  I believe you as I have no idea, but I would have thought differently.
He's currently on a 1 year/2M contract.  He's only played 9 games this season and has not looked good so he hasn't proven himself.  No one is going to commit 30M to him whether its over 1 year or 5 years.  It is hard to see which team would really want him and there are plenty of decent PGs available.  Overseas I'd think China would probably be his best bet for making money but I don't think anyone makes 6M per year overseas.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24183612/free-agent-dwyane-wade-offered-three-year-25-million-deal-play-china

Free-agent guard Dwyane Wade has been offered a three-year, $25 million contract by the Zhejiang Golden Bulls, according to Chinese media reports.

The deal, which is before taxes, would make Wade the highest-paid player in China, slightly ahead of Andray Blatche, who plays for Xinjiang in the Chinese Basketball Association.

It also would be one of the largest overseas deals ever. Josh Childress received $6 million after taxes from Greek club Olympiacos in 2008.
Wade is a much bigger name than IT.  Also that Wade's offer may have only been partially guaranteed.  This article has details on CBA contracts, incentives, perks, etc for foreign players. 
https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/10/chinese-basketball-free-agents-negotiations-pierre-aaron-jackson/

It might be more $ to go to Europe if offers don’t improve..Like Wanamaker and Larkin turning down more $ overseas

The article stated Cole reported got a $5M contract in 2016.  It also stated that he was released after 9 games.  The contract was most likely non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed so he almost certainly made a lot less than 5M. 

I don't know if Denver was the only team but he certainly didn't garner much interest.  What he's done so far this season doesn't help his case. 

The article mentions the Chinese league is the most desirable overseas due to pay, perks and a significantly shorter season than in Euro.   Sounds like the Chinese league is a 3pt chucking, defense optional league.  I think IT in China would be a hit if he's able to perform well and stay healthy.

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 11:17:22 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

The article stated Cole reported got a $5M contract in 2016.  It also stated that he was released after 9 games.  The contract was most likely non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed so he almost certainly made a lot less than 5M. 

I don't know if Denver was the only team but he certainly didn't garner much interest.  What he's done so far this season doesn't help his case. 

The article mentions the Chinese league is the most desirable overseas due to pay, perks and a significantly shorter season than in Euro.   Sounds like the Chinese league is a 3pt chucking, defense optional league.  I think IT in China would be a hit if he's able to perform well and stay healthy.

Oops didn’t notice he got cut. Either way Sounds Great he can follow in Marbury and Jimmer’s footsteps lol with even worse defense

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

His value next year will still be as vet minimum player. No one in the NBA is going to give him more than that next year, not after missing 123 out of his last 164 games(assuming he doesn't play anymore this year).

No team is rolling out even a tiny sized Brink's truck for a guy who hasn't played much over the last two years and has been an inefficient checker while also being the worst defensive player in the league, when he has played.

I'm not sure it's all about the Brinks Truck any longer. I feel it's more about continuing to play the game that he loves and finding a new home where his family can settle and be content. IT will never have to worry about money ever again as it stands.

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 12:30:26 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
IT will never have to worry about money ever again as it stands.
Tell that to Antoine  :o

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Such a shame for the lil fella :( I really think he needs to be the centerpiece of a team to shine. I don't think he's cut out to be a bench or even a 1A guy. Maybe some tanking team will take him for vet min so he can resurrect his career.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 05:01:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I'm predicting that the Mavs will try to get Kemba Walker as a FA, miss out and settle for IT on a cheap deal, and IT will excell playing with Luka and for Carlisle. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2019, 05:09:09 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I'm not sure it's all about the Brinks Truck any longer. I feel it's more about continuing to play the game that he loves and finding a new home where his family can settle and be content. IT will never have to worry about money ever again as it stands.
Not just that he won't have to worry about money; I'm sure his main concern is just establishing himself as a player who can be healthy enough to play the game of basketball and to be good enough to actually have a steady role on an NBA team.  I'm not sure why his old brinks truck bravado is a current topic.  That was just Isaiah acting as confidently as possible.

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 07:03:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
NEVER give up, IT4.

Your story is STILL being written.

Book ain't even close to being finished.

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 08:39:37 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It is truly a real life cinderella story but without the happy ending

From 5th in mvp conversation to hanging by a thread to stay on a nba roster

That has happened to a lot of players.