Author Topic: “Buzz”: Hayward considering “Al Horford” plan, could leave Celts  (Read 12722 times)

Re: “Buzz”: Hayward considering “Al Horford” plan, could leave Celts
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 09:23:44 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I call this BS. Horford left a dysfunctional team for a championship contender. What championship contending team has the cap space to offer Hayward a deal that we wouldn’t be willing to match?

No one.

Carry on (as Perk likes to say).
Danny didn't match the Sixers offer for Horford.  Hayward just may want to leave even if we offer the same deal as another team offers.   As for a contending team, it looks like Miami could make a good offer.  They might be able to keep Dragic too if Olynyk is not on their books.   

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 10:11:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hayward will have a larger market next season, as teams that miss out on Giannis are going to need a consolation prize.  Unless he’s really worried about his health, taking any deal less than Horford’s 4 years, $109 million makes little sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 10:22:19 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Hayward not picking up his option would be silly to me. He’s not going to make 34 mil this year anywhere else. Regardless of how well or poorly he plays this season, I don’t see him signing less than a 4yr/80 anywhere. A team will give him that even if he’s below average this year.

Hayward looking around isn’t surprising. He may be in the mind set of I just need to move on from Boston. I can’t imagine the pressure he is feeling after his unfortunate string of injuries have derailed his Boston tenure.

However, Hayward opting out and signing elsewhere is the absolute worst case scenario for Boston. We lose a player with max talent potential (key word potential), we get no assets in return, and it doesn’t help our cap situation in any way.

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 10:29:03 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I call this BS. Horford left a dysfunctional team for a championship contender. What championship contending team has the cap space to offer Hayward a deal that we wouldn’t be willing to match?

No one.

Danny didn't match the Sixers offer for Horford.  Hayward just may want to leave even if we offer the same deal as another team offers.   As for a contending team, it looks like Miami could make a good offer.  They might be able to keep Dragic too if Olynyk is not on their books.

Miami is going to keep their books clean for Giannis next offseason.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 10:54:52 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

No one.

Miami is going to keep their books clean for Giannis next offseason.
I assume the Bucks will offer Giannis supermax this offseason and I would think he'd take it.   

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 11:00:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Depending on the actual cap number, New Orleans could have a decent amount of cap space.  That seems like a fairly intriguing place to play.

Phoenix is a rising team that could also have cap space.

He already signed an offer sheet with Charlotte once, and they too could have cap space.

And then there is Miami.  Who knows what Miami is going to do?  I think they may hold out for Giannis, but he could also sign the Supermax and just end that on the spot, opening the door for the Heat, who Hayward met with last time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 11:04:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think he could be a goner

I won't have any ill will towards him.  He has had really bad luck as a Celtic. 

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 11:05:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hayward not picking up his option would be silly to me. He’s not going to make 34 mil this year anywhere else. Regardless of how well or poorly he plays this season, I don’t see him signing less than a 4yr/80 anywhere. A team will give him that even if he’s below average this year.

Hayward looking around isn’t surprising. He may be in the mind set of I just need to move on from Boston. I can’t imagine the pressure he is feeling after his unfortunate string of injuries have derailed his Boston tenure.

However, Hayward opting out and signing elsewhere is the absolute worst case scenario for Boston. We lose a player with max talent potential (key word potential), we get no assets in return, and it doesn’t help our cap situation in any way.

Its not about not capitalizing on an easy 34 million but what the outlook is after

What if he nets 34 million but only 10 million per season after that?? vs 20 million x 4 somewhere else

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 12:40:28 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Is a Sign and Trade possible?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 01:39:32 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I'm not making any deal for Hayward if I have a chance at max cap space for the potential Giannis sweepstakes.

For some teams makes more sense to trade for Hayward on his one year than sign him beyond this year.

Walker, Brown, and Smart bring us to over $75M in 2021-22. Add in Tatum’s extension, and we aren’t close to a max contract slot even if we had no other players signed.

The only way we have a shot a Giannis - in free agency - is to move one (or two) of Walker/Brown/Tatum/Smart. I don’t see that happening, regardless of what happens with Hayward.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 06:30:35 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

If Boston's looking at the Kemba/Jaylen/Tatum contracts and a declining cap and coming to the conclusion "there's only X amount we can realistically offer Gordon beyond this season" then there's some utility in Gordon looking for a new home even if he's going to opt in. An extend-and-trade, negotiating an extension after a trade, or even just getting his Bird Rights to the right team could all make a big difference for him.

No hard feelings toward Hayward, guy did what you could have reasonably asked of him but just had miserable injury luck. I'd like to see him stay, but a declining cap complicates things for everyone. If, say, Dallas wants to give him more money for a bigger role it's hard to blame him for looking that way.

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 08:22:37 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I do believe this is a huge moment for Ainge and the franchise.

He has the building blocks for a multi-title run. But he also has two underperforming max contracts, cap issues, and he needs to consolidate his draft assets. He needs to configure a proper bench. Stevens needs to make something out out of the William's and Langford. We need another big that can contribute in a tough playoff series, or at least turn Robert Williams into a quality starter.

Most fans want to keep Hayward at a reasonable price, and want Kemba to provide us with the play and leadership he gave us pre-covid. Neither of those two things might still be possible. It's fine to pay for trips to the finals. It's not fine to pay huge penalties for underperforming ex-all-stars who drag us down.

He has two months to deal with all of this. It will be very disappointing if we just draft in place and do nothing else, but who knows? If we got lucky, that could work too.

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 08:54:25 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Depending on the actual cap number, New Orleans could have a decent amount of cap space.  That seems like a fairly intriguing place to play.

Phoenix is a rising team that could also have cap space.

He already signed an offer sheet with Charlotte once, and they too could have cap space.

And then there is Miami.  Who knows what Miami is going to do?  I think they may hold out for Giannis, but he could also sign the Supermax and just end that on the spot, opening the door for the Heat, who Hayward met with last time.

I don't think the wholesome Haywards of India would do well in New Orleans, that's no place to raise a young family.

To me I think the only option at this point is to trade him for something. I think he is definitely gone, he'll be overpaid to play elsewhere and I don't think he's worth another absurd contract.

I also don't think Robyn has had a great time dealing with the Boston fan base - to say we've been less then compassionate to their situation during Gordon's tenure would be an understatement. She is probably pushing him to move on, I'd also have to assume she'd love the idea of him playing for the Pacers since that's where she decided to enroll their daughters for school.

Trade him to India, get what you can.. I'm sure the Pacers org knows they have the upper hand to trader Danny here.

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2020, 09:00:32 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I think he could be a goner

I won't have any ill will towards him.  He has had really bad luck as a Celtic.
I agree with his bad luck here..it was still a great signing at the time, no one could had predicted bout that leg injury
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2020, 09:10:20 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I don't think the wholesome Haywards of India would do well in New Orleans, that's no place to raise a young family.

When you're closing in on $200 million in career earnings, any place can be made to be a nice place to raise a young family.