Author Topic: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love  (Read 19215 times)

Re: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 10:47:01 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Due to long-term salaries, the only option that would make sense cap/tax-wise for the Celtics is Hayward.  Which I guess could be okay depending how the rest of the deal were structured, but I really like how this team is playing, and Love would require a key player heading on the move.

Also, the Celtics are a team mentioned as having had interest in the recent past, but not necessarily the present.

I thought of this too, but with the new transient NBA, a trade could be made in the future if necessary. They get two more years of Tatum on a rookie deal to see if they can win a championship. If they can, then the tax becomes more palatable. Plus, we don't know what Hayward will want to do with his next contract.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Due to long-term salaries, the only option that would make sense cap/tax-wise for the Celtics is Hayward.  Which I guess could be okay depending how the rest of the deal were structured, but I really like how this team is playing, and Love would require a key player heading on the move.

Also, the Celtics are a team mentioned as having had interest in the recent past, but not necessarily the present.

True.

This is not the right time to make a blockbuster trade when the Celts are on pace to win 60 games.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 10:48:08 PM »

• Paul Silas
I'm not looking to get rid of anyone, but as an excercise, something like this works and would seem to be in the interest of everyone:

Boston receives: Love
Cleveland receives: Dieng, Langford, Poirier, Bates-Diop, 2020 Minny 1st
Minny receives: Smart, Kanter

Boston gets a legit starting big. He can shoot and pass--two great qualities for CBS offense. He can also rebound--something that helps us a ton. I also noticed that his defensive positioning (at least in the game against us) was pretty good. We don't overpay. We don't use the Memphis pick. Plus, we get Smart out of our conference, which, if we have to trade him, is what I anyone would prefer.

Cleveland gets two good young prospects and a 1st. Boston could probably include a protected first or some seconds too.

Minny receives a solid defensive guard to orchestrate the defense for Wiggins and Towns, and a 20 minute a game front court mate for Towns. On top of that, if the Warriors do try to trade Russell eventually, that Covington/Teague trade is still sitting there. Giving them a core of Towns-Wiggins-Smart-Russell.

I think Smart is more valuable than Love.

Love is not the answer if we're trying to stop Embiid or Giannis.

I'm not sure Jakob Poeltl is the answer for either, especially not Giannis. Love gives more size and skill at that position. Plus, he gives shooting at the 5 while also being able to bang down low. That is something this team doesn't currently have.

I'm not sure I would do the deal either. I like Smart. It's pretty close in value though.

Poeltl is a legit 7-footer.

Kevin Love is 6-9 at best.

I'm not sure why you came to the conclusion that Love is bigger than Poeltl.

Sorry for the confusion. Didn't mean he was bigger than Poeltl. I meant his total size+skill was more than Poeltl's size+skill.

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 10:48:25 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'm not looking to get rid of anyone, but as an excercise, something like this works and would seem to be in the interest of everyone:

Boston gets a legit starting big. He can shoot and pass--two great qualities for CBS offense. He can also rebound--something that helps us a ton. I also noticed that his defensive positioning (at least in the game against us) was pretty good. We don't overpay. We don't use the Memphis pick. Plus, we get Smart out of our conference, which, if we have to trade him, is what I anyone would prefer.

Cleveland gets two good young prospects and a 1st. Boston could probably include a protected first or some seconds too.

Minny receives a solid defensive guard to orchestrate the defense for Wiggins and Towns, and a 20 minute a game front court mate for Towns. On top of that, if the Warriors do try to trade Russell eventually, that Covington/Teague trade is still sitting there. Giving them a core of Towns-Wiggins-Smart-Russell.

defensively, no, but offensively he will make them both work (if they are actually guarding him).

I dont want a guy who is gonna take shots from Jaylen/Jayson and make the C's defense worse. He's like a stretch Kanter.

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 10:50:41 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

defensively, no, but offensively he will make them both work (if they are actually guarding him).

I dont want a guy who is gonna take shots from Jaylen/Jayson and make the C's defense worse. He's like a stretch Kanter.
Yes, brings the same things as Kanter. — scoring and rebounding — at a much higher price.

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 10:50:44 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Totally agree with you on this one.

Kevin Love is not a good defender.

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 10:52:37 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I might consider something like this

Love, Thompson

for

Hayward, Kanter, Langford
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2019, 10:52:45 PM »

• Paul Silas
Just to be clear: Love is a much better shooter, passer, and defender than Kanter.

He's no Steph Curry, Magic Johnson, or Ben Wallace, but he'd be a significant upgrade over Kanter in those three areas.

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 10:53:47 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Love, Thompson

for

Just consider it, don't do it!

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 10:56:53 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
There is positively no way I'd trade Hayward for Love (or anyone who isn't an elite player) unless you know he's opting out and leaving. 

Ainge should in no way mess with the core of this team.

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 10:58:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Love, Thompson

for

agreed.  not in 'love' with that deal.

C's do get better bigs but we've waited over 2 years to have Utah Hayward playing for us and he was a major factor in our great start to the season.  no desire to disrupt the team chemistry for a couple of players that may not make us better on the court even if it looks like they should on paper.

call that the Kyrie factor

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 10:59:29 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
There is positively no way I'd trade Hayward for Love (or anyone who isn't an elite player) unless you know he's opting out and leaving. 

Ainge should in no way mess with the core of this team.

I agree.

If Celts are going to make drastic changes, it might as well be for Drummond.

Drummond will be the answer to Embiid and Giannis.

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2019, 11:00:38 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Love, Thompson

for

agreed.  not in 'love' with that deal.

C's do get better bigs but we've waited over 2 years to have Utah Hayward playing for us and he was a major factor in our great start to the season.  no desire to disrupt the team chemistry for a couple of players that may not make us better on the court even if it looks like they should on paper.

call that the Kyrie factor

Agree on the Kyrie factor.

I think it's very clear that Celtic players were just not comfortable with Kyrie as the alpha.

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Just to be clear: Love is a much better shooter, passer, and defender than Kanter.

He's no Steph Curry, Magic Johnson, or Ben Wallace, but he'd be a significant upgrade over Kanter in those three areas.

Ya, but the trade wouldn't be Kanter  for Love. Literally any package that works financially makes us worse

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2019, 11:02:59 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Michael Corleone said it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmIoF_2Q4Y