Author Topic: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love  (Read 19384 times)

Re: Woj on ESPN: Cavs listening to offers for Kevin Love
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2019, 03:47:53 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
marcus, kanter, langford porier works, great deal

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2019, 04:42:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
marcus, kanter, langford porier works, great deal
Not for the Celtics
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2019, 06:02:13 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Hayward for Love is interesting but makes no sense for Cleveland. A 3rd team needs to get involved imo.

FWIW, I think Love fits better on this team better than Hayward. Sure, Hayward is a better defender but you’re probably starting Smart anyway. Acquiring Love means your best lineup consists of:

Kemba-Smart-Tatum-Brown-Love

That’s really good as you have shooting and playmaking everywhere. You also don’t get bullied for rebounds because K Love is a terrific defensive rebounder.

Hayward definitely brings other things to the table that K Love can’t, which I feel like is why so many here are balking at the thought of it.
- LilRip

Re: Woj: Cavs ready to listen to offers for Kevin Love
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2019, 09:10:01 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
It hurts, but Smart, Kanter, Langford, and Poirier is enough (edit: salary wise). Add in the Memphis pick?

Gives us a starting five of Walker-Brown-Tatum-Hayward-Love with Theis, Williams, Williams, Wanamaker, Edwards, Waters, Ojeleye, and Green off the bench.

Plus I think we are right there with any veteran buyouts.
Love playing the 5?  Defending Embiid?  Defending the paint against Giannis?  We'll get slaughtered.  Also losing Smart's defense.  Really odd proposal from one called DefenseWinsChamps. 

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2019, 09:22:50 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Anyone advocating for Love clearly isn’t caring about winning games. He plays 0 defense!!

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
It hurts, but Smart, Kanter, Langford, and Poirier is enough (edit: salary wise). Add in the Memphis pick?

Gives us a starting five of Walker-Brown-Tatum-Hayward-Love with Theis, Williams, Williams, Wanamaker, Edwards, Waters, Ojeleye, and Green off the bench.

Love playing the 5?  Defending Embiid?  Defending the paint against Giannis?  We'll get slaughtered.  Also losing Smart's defense.  Really odd proposal from one called DefenseWinsChamps.

To be fair, who defends Embiid now? And defends Giannis?
- LilRip

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Kanter and Theis for Embiid, and a combination of Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Semi/Grant/Theis/Robert for Giannis. I'd be much more confident with our current slew of options than Love lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2019, 09:57:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Kanter and Theis for Embiid, and a combination of Smart/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Semi/Grant/Theis/Robert for Giannis. I'd be much more confident with our current slew of options than Love lol.
All of those guys, except for Hayward, would still be on the team in the hypothetical Love for Hayward swap.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford

Smart and Kanter... but Kanter will not be able to slowdown either one of them anymore THIS SEASON.

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

All of those guys, except for Hayward, would still be on the team in the hypothetical Love for Hayward swap.
Read the proposed trade that was quoted in the post.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford

Love for Hayward swap is a disaster trade. Love is seriously a marginal upgrade over what we already have if he’s even that. I think people advocating for love need to rewatch the Cs vs Cavs game and see what he does on D. Plus have y’all seen his stats? He’s shooting like 44% from the field and you want him to play Center??? He don’t even play Center now lol. Lastly all everyone is going to do is complain how often he’s OUT THE DANG LINE UP!!!! The best ability is availability Especially at center!! We can afford Hawyward to be gone because of the other players we have on our team.

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2019, 10:45:41 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Love for Hayward swap is a disaster trade. Love is seriously a marginal upgrade over what we already have if he’s even that. I think people advocating for love need to rewatch the Cs vs Cavs game and see what he does on D. Plus have y’all seen his stats? He’s shooting like 44% from the field and you want him to play Center??? He don’t even play Center now lol. Lastly all everyone is going to do is complain how often he’s OUT THE DANG LINE UP!!!! The best ability is availability Especially at center!! We can afford Hayward to be gone because of the other players we have on our team.

I'm not advocating for the deal, but your reasoning isn't sound here. If we did a straight-up trade of Hayward for Love, we would also be able to withstand Love missing time since we would literally have the same exact players to cover for him as if we had Hayward.

« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Anyone advocating for Love clearly isn’t caring about winning games. He plays 0 defense!!
He's checked out of Cavs games, he's a better defender than he's shown. And to be fair, Marc Gasol had too for Memphis before Toronto gave him a reason to play hard again.

But just in general, from a basketball standpoint, I don't really care to have Kevin Love on my team.

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Love for Hayward swap is a disaster trade. Love is seriously a marginal upgrade over what we already have if he’s even that. I think people advocating for love need to rewatch the Cs vs Cavs game and see what he does on D. Plus have y’all seen his stats? He’s shooting like 44% from the field and you want him to play Center??? He don’t even play Center now lol. Lastly all everyone is going to do is complain how often he’s OUT THE DANG LINE UP!!!! The best ability is availability Especially at center!! We can afford Hawyward to be gone because of the other players we have on our team.

Not to mention Love is soft as wet kleenex.  Just say "no" to bad trades!

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2019, 08:09:52 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Not to mention Love is soft as wet kleenex.  Just say "no" to bad trades!

Few things about that. I don't want the trade, but we don't need to exaggerate to prove our point.

1. Love's defense against us in the recent game wasn't terrible. In fact, I thought he did a good job isolating pick-and-roll ball-handlers in the no-mans land. He made them uncomfortable enough to not challenge him at the rim, but he got them off the three point line, forcing a lot of mid-range misses.
2. Love's low shooting percentage is only low because half his attempts are 3s, which is really fine. That's the modern NBA big. He's a stretch player that would open the court for our other creators-that's a valuable thing.
3. He does play center.

There's no need to bash a player--it actually undermines the point you are trying to make.

Hayward is the team's best facilitator (although Walker is pretty good). Trading him for Love has never really made sense. It's not even value, and Cleveland wouldn't even want him. Plus, he really hasn't been good long enough to completely rehab his value, meaning you don't really get fair value back for a player of his talent and impact.

I think the Smart-Kanter-Poirier-Langford trade makes more sense, but I still value continuity over the value that Love would give. I love Smart, but I don't think he is a reliable offensive player. His defense is stellar and really special, but I'm not sure we can't make up for most of his defense through Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Grant Williams. We have really, really good two-way wings. Maybe they aren't all-NBA defensive wings, but they are really high level, which means what Smart brings isn't as necessary.

Still, like I said, I don't think I'd do the trade.