Author Topic: Absolutely Crazy  (Read 2221 times)

Absolutely Crazy
« on: December 12, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
So there was a crazy storm in the area overnight last night. Freezing rain up the butt, trees falling, houses wrecked, cars wrecked, power outages everywhere you turn, businesses closing for the day due to no power. State of emergency called in both Mass and NH.

My brother's house got mauled by a tree. He's technically my step-brother, but I've known him for like 10-11 years and we are best friends, so I consider him my brother. Anyway, he lives with his grandparents. A tree decked his roof at like 1:15 AM and he had to climb up there and take it off. Turns out it left a hole in the roof. They are out of power with a hole in their roof, so they are staying in a motel for now.

A woman I work with his roofless.

A guy I work with says his neighbor moved his cars out to the street late last night, thinking it'd be safer. Turns out a tree close to the road fell and totaled both of his families cars.

We had no power at the grocery store I work at today, and I work in the deli so that is a huge problem. We had to take everything in the wells, put it into carriages, and wheel them out back. Then we had to take every single refrigerated item in the store and put them into crates - stack them up, haul them out back, and put them into big trucks.

Then we had to clean literally everything.

Lots of lifting, lots of pushing, lots of cleaning... but hey, I got out early. I'm also very fortunate that I have power, and that nothing damaged my house or our vehicles. Eight to 10 feet behind my house is woods; tons of trees. I'm shocked nothing happened last night or this morning. My power went out temporarily in the middle of the night and our lights are flickering sporadically, but that's it.

EDIT: Also, right near my work, there is a highway. Right off the highway, there are a bunch of street lights.... all out. So people are going in different directions to, from, and around the highway. That's death waiting to happen.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

Re: Absolutely Crazy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 02:02:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yeah, my parents live right outside of Worcester and they had an extremely rough night.  Bunch of trees went down, wires got knocked out of the house when a tree took them down.  Lots of damage.

They have the stay at a hotel for the next few days.  No idea when they'll get electricity back.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 02:18:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
Wow...Good luck with all that.  Was there much warning? 

My wife and daughter are off today this annual ladies party a friend of my mother-in-law has been having for a bazillion years.

2 or 3 years ago on their way to that same party it went from sunny to complete blizzard the likes of which I've never experienced.  Trees were falling all over the place and my wife was in a car with my two children.  I was flipping out.  I made it home, barely making it around a bunch of fallen trees, and wondering whether one might choose to fall on me.  My wife [dang] near got trapped between two fallen trees.  She ended up making it home 20 minutes after I did.

The whole storm lasted no more than 45 minutes.  Thousands of trees were felled and it was at least a week until the whole area had power restored.  Just bizarre.

I remember that night the sky was crystal clear.  As beautiful a winter night as you could imagine.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 05:27:25 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Wow...Good luck with all that.  Was there much warning? 

My wife and daughter are off today this annual ladies party a friend of my mother-in-law has been having for a bazillion years.

2 or 3 years ago on their way to that same party it went from sunny to complete blizzard the likes of which I've never experienced.  Trees were falling all over the place and my wife was in a car with my two children.  I was flipping out.  I made it home, barely making it around a bunch of fallen trees, and wondering whether one might choose to fall on me.  My wife [dang] near got trapped between two fallen trees.  She ended up making it home 20 minutes after I did.

The whole storm lasted no more than 45 minutes.  Thousands of trees were felled and it was at least a week until the whole area had power restored.  Just bizarre.

I remember that night the sky was crystal clear.  As beautiful a winter night as you could imagine.

I have seen similar snow storms like that Redz.  When I lived in New York the lake effect snow would come in quick and hard. I'd be driving to work and everything was clear, barely a cloud in the sky.  Then out of no where, it was a complete white out.  I mean you couldn't see a thing.  You couldn't even see the side of the road, visibility was down to like nothing.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
We keep getting a few inches of snow here in Maine, and then two hours later it starts raining and then freezes up. It's been fairly awful, especially more me just dying for some powder after I got myself a snowboard sponsor out of Portland.

Ugh this NE weather... so bipolar.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 05:44:34 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
CB32, I hope everyone is ok and your family/friends' cleaning up goes smoothly. It's incredible to think how much damage a storm can do; flooding, hailstorms, Heavy wind damage.  

My city (Brisbane, Aus) just got through the worst storms in a loong time. The city was declared a natural disaster zone and everything. So just as everyone starts cleaning up and putting tarps on their roofless houses, we get lashed by storms of almost the same ferocity for most of the week. Luckily my suburb didnt recieve the full grunt of the storms.