Author Topic: Jemele Hill's apology  (Read 19250 times)

Re: Jemele Hill's apology
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Somebody called in yesterday and talked about one of them making a comment about if "red stripe beer would help a black guy swim instead of helping a white guy dance."  I mean its not necessarily outrageous, but you would think that with their gorilla troubles, they may be more careful with what they say. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2008, 11:34:05 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
She's an average writer

??  Compared to what?  Or whom?  How hard is it to write bigoted, baseless, unresearched bilge?  Wow.

However, I can understand her frustration with people that are rushing to burn her without even hitting spell check first.  If we're going to skewer her, we need a valid reason and the ability to articulate our points or else we fall into the place category she's in.

Valid reasons?  Okay.

-Unfounded, hypocritical, and false accusations of racism.

-As Mr Hobbs said, the use of polarizing terms. Which IMHO would get any non-beneficiary of an EEOC hire fired.

-Typing whatever air comes out of her head with no basis in fact.  No research.  It wouldn't matter to me if it's my team she's trashing or anyone else's.  If she's going to say the things she says, she should at least be well read (I think based on her speech that it's a real stretch assuming that she can read in the first place) so what goes to press doesn't look so foolish.

Hard to compare Hill or steven i smith to Imus.  For reasons I can't explain, Imus actually has a captive audience to spout his foolishness.  steven and Jamele don't.  They, IMHO, are employed strictly because of their demographic.  They bring nothing to a discussion.

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 11:34:22 AM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Maybe we should just have computer programs write editorials and do sports reporting. All a person would have to do is select from a drop down menu.

Here is the thing. Jemele said something offensive just like Imus just like Rush.. Imus has had a history (a true history personal accounts) or calling black women the n-word and the b-word. There is testimony to Imus making racist remarks. I am getting sick and tired of seeing this ping pong match being played where we try to deflect one persons remarks onto another. SHE SAID THIS: SO WHY CAN'T HE SAY THAT? Stop it!

Fairly or Unfairly Boston carries a reputation as a Racist city. It was less then 30 years ago that Boston public schools went through a bussing crisis. In the 80's a time when Jemele was coming of age the Celtics were the team with the White marquee player and at any point in time could have 5 white players on the floor all at once. Jemele was drawing from her childhood and the perception/reality of the time.

I think the majority of the bitterness stems from people of this blog being Celtics fans. From that perspective you have every right to be upset but it is also a built in bias. A white Lakers fan could read the same article and snicker and not find it offensive. Perhaps if one was Jewish and read this article they would be incredibly offended.

One more thing about Imus.. He was fired but still got the money he was promised contractually and was back on the air six months later. Was that really punishment for him? He basically got paid for saying something offensive. Truth be told I really just don't like Imus, it is completely personal. What Imus and Jemele said are offensive but is it truly dangerous.

Should speech ever be suppressed? It's hard to say when you have a large corporation with money and influence promote a product to a mass audience in country with a racial majority. The first full length feature film was "Birth of a Nation". It is impossible for me to respect this film or it's "auteur" because it is a 2 hour advertisement for the KKK. It propelled membership into the organization and insight race riots. Can something so blatantly offensive and hateful hide under the veil of free speech? If there is a product that mobilizes people to be violent against another race or group of people or insights hate should it be allowed on the public airwaves? When a massive audience already has a seed of ignorance or hate within them, all they need is affirmation. Is there any counter-acting peoples preconceived ideals?

My overall point is Jemele and Imus may have said things that were hateful and ignorant but they were not threatening or dangerous. I don't think a kid is going to read or hear those things and think that it is right.

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 11:36:12 AM »

Offline jhog3411

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I don't see the problem with the Red Stripe discussion.  The commercial depicts a racial stereotype (white people can't dance,) so D&C turned it around by comparing it to saying black people can't swim.  It shows the absurdity and double standard that the commercial perpetuates.

As for Jemele, I felt the apology was legitimate and heartfelt, but she should at least be suspended.  Comparing Celtics fans in Detroit to Nazis is incredibly obnoxious and disgraceful.  Her editor should also be suspended for allowing this garbage to go to print.  Also, she's had a couple good pieces but most of it falls flat.

Just because something can be said because of free speech doesn't make it right.  We have every right to criticize and object to despicable content.  The Jemele column did not live up to ESPN's and most reasonable people's standards.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:41:19 AM by jhog3411 »

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 11:42:09 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Maybe we should just have computer programs write editorials and do sports reporting. All a person would have to do is select from a drop down menu.

Here is the thing. Jemele said something offensive just like Imus just like Rush.. Imus has had a history (a true history personal accounts) or calling black women the n-word and the b-word. There is testimony to Imus making racist remarks. I am getting sick and tired of seeing this ping pong match being played where we try to deflect one persons remarks onto another. SHE SAID THIS: SO WHY CAN'T HE SAY THAT? Stop it!

Fairly or Unfairly Boston carries a reputation as a Racist city. It was less then 30 years ago that Boston public schools went through a bussing crisis. In the 80's a time when Jemele was coming of age the Celtics were the team with the White marquee player and at any point in time could have 5 white players on the floor all at once. Jemele was drawing from her childhood and the perception/reality of the time.

I think the majority of the bitterness stems from people of this blog being Celtics fans. From that perspective you have every right to be upset but it is also a built in bias. A white Lakers fan could read the same article and snicker and not find it offensive. Perhaps if one was Jewish and read this article they would be incredibly offended.

One more thing about Imus.. He was fired but still got the money he was promised contractually and was back on the air six months later. Was that really punishment for him? He basically got paid for saying something offensive. Truth be told I really just don't like Imus, it is completely personal. What Imus and Jemele said are offensive but is it truly dangerous.

Should speech ever be suppressed? It's hard to say when you have a large corporation with money and influence promote a product to a mass audience in country with a racial majority. The first full length feature film was "Birth of a Nation". It is impossible for me to respect this film or it's "auteur" because it is a 2 hour advertisement for the KKK. It propelled membership into the organization and insight race riots. Can something so blatantly offensive and hateful hide under the veil of free speech? If there is a product that mobilizes people to be violent against another race or group of people or insights hate should it be allowed on the public airwaves? When a massive audience already has a seed of ignorance or hate within them, all they need is affirmation. Is there any counter-acting peoples preconceived ideals?

My overall point is Jemele and Imus may have said things that were hateful and ignorant but they were not threatening or dangerous. I don't think a kid is going to read or hear those things and think that it is right.

right, well done argument, but the point is, this si a women who, in at least 4 columons, has called for people to be punished "regardless of meaning" for thier poor "judgment" in offending people.

Then, she compares a group of people to hitler supporters and wants a pass because, among other things;

She's on a diversity panel- Who cares? what does that have to do with you being a gaint, hypicrtical race baiter?

boston fans are mean to her in emails- awwwwww.

she didn't think hitler had a bad histroy to it, after all, its not like she said anythign about the holocoust- this was incredible to me, are you kidding me hill?

its not the same because she's diffrent- This was said in the aol interview, where the interviewer was pushing her with questions abotu the multiple people she wanted fired, regardless of thier justifications.

remeber, she has gone on recored numerous times that "no matter what your justification (read: the massive rationalzing she does in her apology piece.) you have to be held accountable."

yet, she clearly thinks she shouldn't be held accountable.

it's not about suppressing free speech, its about holding yourself accountable. Shes made it perfectly clear, espically in her personal blog entry and the aol interview, that her standereds don't apply to her, only to those she writes about.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
Here is the thing. Jemele said something offensive just like Imus just like Rush..

I love the analogy from Hill to Rush Limbaugh.  From somebody who has probably never listened or seen Rush.  Because, newdusk, if you have, you'd know that comparing Limbaugh to Hill, or Imus is patently foolish.  As an unashamed fan and listener, and being keenly aware of the blog restrictions on political discourse, I'll leave it at that. 

Congratulations, Newdusk. You've just graduated from the Jamele Hill School of Literary Research.  Newdusk, you should probably listen to Rush before you bring him into this kind of discussion.

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think the majority of the bitterness stems from people of this blog being Celtics fans. From that perspective you have every right to be upset but it is also a built in bias.

Maybe.  However, people have been complaining about Jemele Hill long before this article came out.

My issues with Jemele:

1) She's pretty clearly a hypocrite.  She very publicly called out others for their remarks (Imus, Steve Lyons, Kelly Tilghman) and called for their suspension or firing.  Now, she makes an equally troubling remark about Hitler (Imus may have had a history, but the other two didn't);

2) In her article, she seemed to justify racism.  The reasoning was "My peers and I hated Boston because they were a white team from a racist city".  There was no qualifier that this view was inappropriate.  She did concede that Boston may have evolved, but she *didn't* chastise people who picked a team to root against based solely upon the color of its players.  I can't imagine Jemele would have much sympathy for a white fan from Boston who said he rooted against Detroit because it was a "black team from a black city".

3) She needlessly brought the Charles Stuart thing up, again to inflame racial tensions.

4) Hitler?  Seriously?  You thought that was okay?  But because it was just a Hitler joke, and not about the Holocaust, you thought that was acceptable?

5) She's a poor writer who takes controversial positions that have no merit (ie, Kobe vs. Jordan).  She falls back on race in at least 60% of her articles, and has nothing new or interesting to say on that or any other topic. 

As I've said elsewhere, I think our culture has become too politically correct.  However, there can't be a double standard, where only certain classes are allowed to make remarks, while members of other classes can't.   

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1620
  • What a Pub Should Be
Here is the thing. Jemele said something offensive just like Imus just like Rush..

I love the analogy from Hill to Rush Limbaugh.  From somebody who has probably never listened or seen Rush.  Because, newdusk, if you have, you'd know that comparing Limbaugh to Hill, or Imus is patently foolish.  As an unashamed fan and listener, and being keenly aware of the blog restrictions on political discourse, I'll leave it at that. 

Congratulations, Newdusk. You've just graduated from the Jamele Hill School of Literary Research.  Newdusk, you should probably listen to Rush before you bring him into this kind of discussion.

I think the Rush comparisons go to what he said when he was a commentator on ESPN's NFL pregame show which ultimately led to his dismissal.  I don't it has anything to do with what he says or advocates on his radio program.  It's not a politically fueled comparison.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think the majority of the bitterness stems from people of this blog being Celtics fans. From that perspective you have every right to be upset but it is also a built in bias.

Maybe.  However, people have been complaining about Jemele Hill long before this article came out.

My issues with Jemele:

1) She's pretty clearly a hypocrite.  She very publicly called out others for their remarks (Imus, Steve Lyons, Kelly Tilghman) and called for their suspension or firing.  Now, she makes an equally troubling remark about Hitler (Imus may have had a history, but the other two didn't);

2) In her article, she seemed to justify racism.  The reasoning was "My peers and I hated Boston because they were a white team from a racist city".  There was no qualifier that this view was inappropriate.  She did concede that Boston may have evolved, but she *didn't* chastise people who picked a team to root against based solely upon the color of its players.  I can't imagine Jemele would have much sympathy for a white fan from Boston who said he rooted against Detroit because it was a "black team from a black city".

3) She needlessly brought the Charles Stuart thing up, again to inflame racial tensions.

4) Hitler?  Seriously?  You thought that was okay?  But because it was just a Hitler joke, and not about the Holocaust, you thought that was acceptable?

5) She's a poor writer who takes controversial positions that have no merit (ie, Kobe vs. Jordan).  She falls back on race in at least 60% of her articles, and has nothing new or interesting to say on that or any other topic. 

As I've said elsewhere, I think our culture has become too politically correct.  However, there can't be a double standard, where only certain classes are allowed to make remarks, while members of other classes can't.   

just to co-sign onto this excelent summary, and add my posistion.

My problem isn't that she made a mistake, we all do.

my problem isn't that it was about the celtics.

my problem isn't that she uses race in a majority of her articles as shock value, thats been around forever as a writing style.

my problem is, she calls for people to get fired/ held to the fire for making offensive comments (throw out imus, he's an idiot, the other two roy mentioned clearly just made a mistake)

and then, she not only writes an apology which starts with "im not going to rationalize" and then proceeds to be nothing BUT "woe is me" rationalization, but if you read that AOL interview or hr personal blog, she clearly doesn't feel she did anything wrong.

I'm sorry, but if your going to call for peoples heads, and then call a city racist and compare a fan base to hitler supporters, your up for open season.

Anyway, roy stated what i wanted to state better than i could, so +1 to him and here's hoping hill stays of the race baiting for a bit, or at the very least never calls for someone to be fired over using a poor choice of words again.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2008, 02:29:02 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
I think the Rush comparisons go to what he said when he was a commentator on ESPN's NFL pregame show which ultimately led to his dismissal.  I don't it has anything to do with what he says or advocates on his radio program.  It's not a politically fueled comparison.

......And what Rush said about McNabb epitomizes the ESPN, and the media's double-standard concerning race.  Based on McNabb's performance up to the time that Rush offered the opinion, the opinion was far from fringe....And far from racist.  ESPN, CNNSI, and the NFL tried to promote McNabb as in the class of Brady, Farve, and Manning when the performance didn't come close to meriting the praise.  Rush offered an opinion on why they were promoting McNabb in that way. ESPN only responded on cue when the various poverty pimps and race baiters moved forward with their standard victimology crusades.  But in watching the exchange when it happenned, the disagreements on the panel were mild, at best.  

What Hill bases her drivel on is anybody's guess.  Because generally, it's baseless and ignorant.  It's also filled with baseless hate.  Imus' hatred is more measured than Hill's.  Because unlike Hill, Imus actually has an IQ somewhere around his body temperature to fall back on.  Hill just exhales stupidity.  She has an excuse.  She's an idiot.  There is no excuse for ESPN to continue to allow her to spout her ignorance beyond the obvious.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:51:48 PM by iowa plowboy »

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2008, 03:07:03 PM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Firstly I am drawing from a specific incident in which Rush was fired from ESPN... Guess what that didn't mean he was not allowed to work, the ESPN gig was a side job.

Imus got a six month vacation! Still got pain and he is right back on the air again.

Roy she brought up all your points in her apology and how fundamentally she contradicted herself. To me she was speaking purely from the context of the past. Boston was/is percieved as a white racist city. Detroit is a city where the pre-dominant demographic is African American. I don't think it was all out racial hate or hatred for white people it was a sense of pride.

I went to a bar near Fenway back in '05 and we talked to a bar tender who was in his 60's about the Celtics. He did not really like or follow the current team but gushed about Larry Bird then wispered to me "he was white too" and gave a little snicker. I made the mistake of laughing it off but I was also offended. Was it racism or pride or both?

People like that are the reason Boston gets painted as a racist city. When Bill Russel can't live in Reading and writes in his book that he did not play basketball for the city of Boston but for the Celtics, then you can understand where this notion has come from.

The polarization of race and racial pride is bread into sport. When Jemele calls for suspensions and is outraged it is because of her pride. She should not lose her job and as Celtics fans I think we have to look at what she is saying in the context that she is a DIE HARD Pistons fan. I know when I am amongst fans of my team we will collectively say horribly offensive things about the opposing team weather it be Kobe bla bla bla's or calling Jason Kidd "wife beater".

I understand the argument of the "double-standard" especially when it comes to comedy, satire or sarcasm. The thing is someone is going to say something offensive it could be anybody black or white and they will be scrutinized. That does not mean you yourself or I myself will never say something offensive as careful as I may be. Jemele wants a break after condemning so many other people asking for them to get fired if you the public feel it is necessary for her release because you agree with her standards then petition ESPN.com. Say you will never visit their site, watch their channel or listen to them on the radio.

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2008, 03:08:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think the Rush comparisons go to what he said when he was a commentator on ESPN's NFL pregame show which ultimately led to his dismissal.  I don't it has anything to do with what he says or advocates on his radio program.  It's not a politically fueled comparison.

......And what Rush said about McNabb epitomizes the ESPN, and the media's double-standard concerning race.  Based on McNabb's performance up to the time that Rush offered the opinion, the opinion was far from fringe....And far from racist.  ESPN, CNNSI, and the NFL tried to promote McNabb as in the class of Brady, Farve, and Manning when the performance didn't come close to meriting the praise.  Rush offered an opinion on why they were promoting McNabb in that way. ESPN only responded on cue when the various poverty pimps and race baiters moved forward with their standard victimology crusades.  But in watching the exchange when it happenned, the disagreements on the panel were mild, at best.  

What Hill bases her drivel on is anybody's guess.  Because generally, it's baseless and ignorant.  It's also filled with baseless hate.  Imus' hatred is more measured than Hill's.  Because unlike Hill, Imus actually has an IQ somewhere around his body temperature to fall back on.  Hill just exhales stupidity.  She has an excuse.  She's an idiot.  There is no excuse for ESPN to continue to allow her to spout her ignorance beyond the obvious.
iowa brings up a good point of what I see as a bit of a double standard at ESPN.

Here's Rush's statement:

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL,'' Limbaugh said. "The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well ... McNabb got a lot of the credit for the performance of the team that he really didn't deserve."

Here's what Jemele wrote in her article:

“Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.”

Truly, I think both comments are rather innocuous and that both statements were blown completely out of proportion. Rush was trying to make a point about the media not a statement about McNabb's ability as a black quarterback. Hill was trying to make an outrageously ironic, humorous statement about Piston fans cheering for the Celtics that was just not well thought out.

I don't think either were meant maliciously or that either person has malicious racial feelings, although, I guess that the latter is definitely debateable. A statement offended African-Americans, those that feel we should grow beyond race and those that are polically correct. Another offended Jewish people, Celtic fans, those that feel we should grow beyond race and again those that are politically correct.

But Rush lost his job and Hill had a brief suspension. Why? I really hope it's not because of the color of Jemele Hill's skin. Because if it is then ESPN needs to fire itself.

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183

Im sorry, but the two issues are nowhere near being the same. First of all, Rush resigned. Second of all, Hill's article was inflammatory hyperbole, but hyperbole nonetheless, unlike Rush, who stated as a fact that McNabb was overrated because he was black. Insensitive rhetoric is nowhere near the same as clear cut statements.
Third of all, Rush was wrong at the time, plain and simple. Nowadays McNabb is washed up, but in 2003, when these statements were made, he clearly was an elite quarterback. He was runner up for mvp a couple of seasons earlier, had a number of franchise records, and was the best running QB in the league. He was responsible for over 70% of the offense in a club that went to the conference championship game where the WRs were torrance smalls and charlie smith, and later james thrash and pinkston. With these receivers the eagles offense was ranked 12, 9th and 4th in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Which means that Rush's claims that the defense carried the team were bogus, and his claims about mcnabb were equally bogus.

Hills comments are much more like the ones by the golf channel anchorperson.

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney

Im sorry, but the two issues are nowhere near being the same. First of all, Rush resigned. Second of all, Hill's article was inflammatory hyperbole, but hyperbole nonetheless, unlike Rush, who stated as a fact that McNabb was overrated because he was black. Insensitive rhetoric is nowhere near the same as clear cut statements.
Third of all, Rush was wrong at the time, plain and simple. Nowadays McNabb is washed up, but in 2003, when these statements were made, he clearly was an elite quarterback. He was runner up for mvp a couple of seasons earlier, had a number of franchise records, and was the best running QB in the league. He was responsible for over 70% of the offense in a club that went to the conference championship game where the WRs were torrance smalls and charlie smith, and later james thrash and pinkston. With these receivers the eagles offense was ranked 12, 9th and 4th in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Which means that Rush's claims that the defense carried the team were bogus, and his claims about mcnabb were equally bogus.

Hills comments are much more like the ones by the golf channel anchorperson.

Transcript:
"Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go," Limbaugh said. "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Sounds like Rush's expressing his opinion.  Bogus?  Maybe.  But debatable.  To compare what he said to what the airhead and the pothead said is absurd.

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183

Transcript:
"Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go," Limbaugh said. "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Sounds like Rush's expressing his opinion.  Bogus?  Maybe.  But debatable.  To compare what he said to what the airhead and the pothead said is absurd.

As I said, every fact Rush said in this little sentence is patently false, making his claim that he got credit he didnt deserve absurd. This was september 2003. McNabb had had similar QB ratings to Brady and Manning in 2001 and 2002, with much better rushing yards and subpar receivers. He also had had much more success up to that point than Manning. To say that "the defense carried this team" when the offense was ranked 4th in the league is just false. And "not been that good from the get go?" His 2nd season in the league McNabb was runner up for MVP because he submitted what had been to that point the 4th best rushing total by a QB ever, being involved in 75% of the teams offense (which was ranked 12th that year).

Hill is a fool, but her comments were much more inline with the golf channel and the rest than Rush, who, again, resigned.