Author Topic: Time to call out Pierce, Garnett, et al  (Read 9007 times)

Re: Time to call out Pierce, Garnett, et al
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
We just don't play the young aggressive hungry teams well. New Orleans the same way. Doc needs to play TA and House to put more zip into the offense and defense. Stick a fork in Cassell, he's cooked.

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »

Offline Badfish35

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
geeeeeez everybody - THIS is OUR Celtics team - for better of for worse.  Lets show a little more support.  Are we really calling ourselves fans here??? 

KG = no heart
PP = chokejob

what is going on here?  Did it really just take 2 games to get everyone to turn on this team?  There's VENOM spitting out of my monitor as I type this!

I guess you know it's gotten bad, as fans, when idiots like Mike Bibby who know crap about Boston or its sports scene are starting to call us out as fairweather....

maybe we should show more support- just one week ago everyone here was vouching for KG as MVP - now we are flushing him down the toilet saying "another chokejob by KG"

Maybe we as fans should look ourselves in the mirror too.  Maybe we should make some real noise at the Garden tomorrow night and not the type that is prompted by "Garden Level" graphics and stupid dancing by some idiot we don't know on a jumbotron.

These guys overacheived all season - most of us diehards thought 50+ wins would be a stretch in their first season together.

How about lets enjoy this series for what it is.  Competitive playoff basketball.  Lets try not to throw this team under the bus and enjoy the fact that they were good enough to land home court and do everything we can to help these guys beat this punk Hawks team on Wednesday.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 01:35:06 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I knew that my original post might start a bit of a fire, but that is exactly what all of us need right now.  We're all extremely disappointed in the effort we'ved seen our beloved C's.  Honestly, I think they are disappointed in themselves as well.

However, regardless of what the NBA Joke of a League Office does to Garnett, Perk or others, we have to get our heads up and win game 5 and carry it over into game 6.  

It's sad how flat we've been after cruising in the first two games.  Makes me wonder about that killer instinct we need (and the Lakers have).  Come on guys, let's get back to what we do and not take the bait the Hawks are dishing out.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 01:38:45 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
geeeeeez everybody - THIS is OUR Celtics team - for better of for worse.  Lets show a little more support.  Are we really calling ourselves fans here??? 

KG = no heart
PP = chokejob

what is going on here?  Did it really just take 2 games to get everyone to turn on this team?  There's VENOM spitting out of my monitor as I type this!

I guess you know it's gotten bad, as fans, when idiots like Mike Bibby who know crap about Boston or its sports scene are starting to call us out as fairweather....

maybe we should show more support- just one week ago everyone here was vouching for KG as MVP - now we are flushing him down the toilet saying "another chokejob by KG"

Maybe we as fans should look ourselves in the mirror too.  Maybe we should make some real noise at the Garden tomorrow night and not the type that is prompted by "Garden Level" graphics and stupid dancing by some idiot we don't know on a jumbotron.

These guys overacheived all season - most of us diehards thought 50+ wins would be a stretch in their first season together.

How about lets enjoy this series for what it is.  Competitive playoff basketball.  Lets try not to throw this team under the bus and enjoy the fact that they were good enough to land home court and do everything we can to help these guys beat this punk Hawks team on Wednesday.

Respectfully disagree.  It is precisely REAL fans that get on their guys when they feel that maximum effort is not being given. 

KG is great.  Paul is great.  Ray is great. Etc.  Of course they are allowed off nights now and again.  However, this is not what is happening in the eyes of most die hard fans that have seen all 82 games this year.  The reality is they are getting out hustled and out played.  There is NO EXCUSE for that.  Effort is always expected by me and that will never change.

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 01:49:27 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
The team is just getting torched on the defensive end.  The Hawks, especially Horford, Smith and Childress, are out hustling the team for offensive rebounds, etc. 

As for offense, Pierce must be more aggressive.  For some reason (maybe his back), he is playing passively.  He may be shooting his 3's well, but he's also just settling for them.  He's hardly penetrating and seems to be floating around too much while he watches KG, Allen and Rondo operate on the offensive end.  For the majority of the season, Pierce was the focul point of the offense.  However, throughout the playoffs KG has been the focul point.  I'm not sure why Doc has changed the strategy, but the team should revert back to what worked throughout the regular season.  Additionally, by having Pierce play more aggressively on the offensive end, he'll make the Hawks' wing players exert more energy on their defensive end.

C'mon DOC and PIERCE.  Get with the program!

Edit:  I just checked and saw that KG has taken 77 shots throughout the series so far, Rondo has taken 46 shots and Pierce has taken 47 shots.  I know that shooting more doesn't mean the Celtics will win more, but it does show that Pierce is being too passive.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 02:00:43 PM by Newguy »

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 02:23:36 PM »

Offline Badfish35

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6

KG = no heart
PP = chokejob

Respectfully disagree.  It is precisely REAL fans that get on their guys when they feel that maximum effort is not being given. 

KG is great.  Paul is great.  Ray is great. Etc.  Of course they are allowed off nights now and again.  However, this is not what is happening in the eyes of most die hard fans that have seen all 82 games this year.  The reality is they are getting out hustled and out played.  There is NO EXCUSE for that.  Effort is always expected by me and that will never change.

I DO actually agree with you about effort, and the original post about this team basically needing to "man-up" and play like men is exactly how I felt watching games 3 and 4.

I agree with you.

There is a difference between challenging someone to look themselves in the mirror and doing what so many others are doing to this Celtics team:  The I-told-you-so's and the I-saw-this-coming and the I-knew-all-along-he-was-a-choke-artist posts and threads seem not only premature, but look to me like these fans in Boston have no problem cheering for a group of guys all season, and then in the midst of adversity, throwing them under the bus.

After they win this series everyone will be back claiming this is one of the top Celtics teams of all time.

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!

KG = no heart
PP = chokejob

I DO actually agree with you about effort, and the original post about this team basically needing to "man-up" and play like men is exactly how I felt watching games 3 and 4.

I agree with you.

There is a difference between challenging someone to look themselves in the mirror and doing what so many others are doing to this Celtics team:  The I-told-you-so's and the I-saw-this-coming and the I-knew-all-along-he-was-a-choke-artist posts and threads seem not only premature, but look to me like these fans in Boston have no problem cheering for a group of guys all season, and then in the midst of adversity, throwing them under the bus.

After they win this series everyone will be back claiming this is one of the top Celtics teams of all time.

I think I speak for myself, you and everyone else on here that right now we should just hope to get out of this series period.

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 03:13:40 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
joe johnson carried that team on his back last night...NO ONE from the celtics said let me do the same for us.

they're playing like they're not trying to offend each other at the offensive end.  SOMEONE has to take control and be a LEADER out there!!
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
joe johnson carried that team on his back last night...NO ONE from the celtics said let me do the same for us.

they're playing like they're not trying to offend each other at the offensive end.  SOMEONE has to take control and be a LEADER out there!!

Amen!

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I don't think effort has been much of a problem. I saw a lot of effort out there by the Celtics, what I didn't see was composure and intelligence and that's been the problem. That's why their execution has been so poor.

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 03:24:15 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Amen!

I agree! There are a couple too many junk passes... where a player should have just created contact going to the basket themselves.

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 03:31:38 PM »

Offline Fitzy1522

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
The C's need to realize that Atlanta is a more athletic team, and they're playing like a 37-45 team should, like they have nothing to loose. The only athletic match-up that favors the Celtics is the Rondo-Bibby match-up. Tony Allen needs to get more minutes (or minutes period would be a good start, he should not have a DNP next to his name), he's our best athlete, and has the ability to drive to the basket, which the C's need desperately when Rondo and Pierce aren't in the game. And also, Rondo should be playing, at the very least, 10 minutes in the fourth quarter, there's no need to have House or Sam "I like to shoot jumpers with 20 seconds left on the shot clock and no one underneath for the board" Cassell in there in the 4th, it makes our offense look purposeless.

To be successful, the Celtics need to control the pace of the game (with Rondo), when we control our offensive pace, we're more prone to take good shots, and by forcing Atlanta to play 20 seconds of solid defense on each possession, we also force them to take poor shots and play lazy offense, which makes it easier to force turnovers (look at the last 6 minutes of the 3rd last night).
Also, we can't have Ray Allen covering Joe Johnson for 10 minutes in the 4th quarter, it's just stupid, especially when Johnson goes 5 for 5 on five straight possessions in the 4th, give TA 20 minutes a game, let him tire out JJ.

The Celtics were successful all season because they played smart basketball, we made teams play our style of ball, we exploited match-ups that were presented to us, and we created good match-ups on defense to shut down other teams, all things that we haven't done for even a full quarter in ATL, nevermind a full game. We need to be the veteran team that we are and play our style of hoop, and not let the youthful Hawks attack us.