Author Topic: The thing about Chemistry  (Read 3349 times)

Re: The thing about Chemistry
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 10:23:45 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Many us have been on sports teams and part of other types of teams.  "Chemistry" is real but it is also a very general idea.  For example, relative to basketball, there is on court chemistry and off court chemistry.  It has been proven enough times that you don't need to be best buds off the court in order to be good together on the court.  To me, the on court results have more to do with buy in or acceptance.

There was an example above of Kyrie and his time with LeBron/Cleveland.  On that team, Kyrie understood and accepted a certain role.  LeBron set the tone and players toed the line.  The team was successful so no one complained about chemistry.

Kyrie on the Celtics was a different story.  Kyrie never really figured out his role in terms of on court and off court leadership.  The result was what appeared to be bad chemistry but I don't think the players liked or disliked each other any more or less than the players on the Cavs.

I think the chemistry will be fine, sufficient, for the Nets.  Durant will help with that.  We'll see what happens if/when the team struggles and how the relationship between the coach and players holds up.  To me, that is the risk but normal for an inexperienced coach.

I think the chemistry on the Celtics will fine, even good.  There may be dust ups along the way but to me, that doesn't matter.  I  think players will buy in, accept the leadership of the coach and the top players just fine.  By and large, I think the players are happy to be here and happy with their roles on the team.  That is a good start to good chemistry.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 11:09:32 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 10:43:59 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Many us have been on sports teams and part of other types of teams.  "Chemistry" is real but it is also a very general idea.  For example, relative to basketball, there is on court chemistry and off court chemistry.  It think it has been proven enough times that don't you need to be best buds off the court in order to be good together on the court.  To me, the on court results have more to do with buy in or acceptance.

There was an example above of Kyrie and his time with LeBron/Cleveland.  On that team, Kyrie understood and accepted a certain role.  LeBron set the tone and players toed the line.  The team was successful so no one complained about chemistry.

Kyrie on the Celtics was a different story.  Kyrie never really figured out his role in terms of on court and off court leadership.  The result was what appeared to be bad chemistry but I don't think the players liked or disliked each other any more or less than the players on the Cavs.

I think the chemistry will be fine, sufficient, for the Nets.  Durant will help with that.  We'll see what happens if/when the team struggles and how the relationship between the coach and players holds up.  To me, that is the risk but normal for an inexperienced coach.

I think the chemistry on the Celtics will fine, even good.  There may be dust ups along the way but to me, that doesn't matter.  I  think players will buy in, accept the leadership of the coach and the top players just fine.  By and large, I think the players are happy to be hear and happy with their roles on the team.  That is a good start to good chemistry.

I expect the chemistry to be finally settled on the C's for the first time in Brad Steven's tenure. There is finally a clear hierarchy from front to back, and strong, stable personalities leading at the top. Not one player on this team should be unhappy with their opportunities.

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 02:51:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm hopeful that the on-court chemistry is going to be really good this year. It feels like these pieces should fit really well.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 03:01:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is kind of early to talk about chemistry with these teams considering the additions.  Sometimes, it takes time for the chemical reactions to take place when you combine things.  Sometimes, it works.   Sometimes it explodes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xONoVZ-mW4