Author Topic: The thing about Chemistry  (Read 3361 times)

The thing about Chemistry
« on: December 14, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

...it makes your team better or worse of what’s on paper.

LAL had it and won the championship
Heat had it and made the finals.

From what I have seen so far (preseason)

Brooklyn has it
LAC doesn’t
Denver still has it
Milwaukee lost it
Dallas has it

Philly?
Boston should still have it
Houston?

Re: The thing about Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 06:55:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

...it makes your team better or worse of what’s on paper.

LAL had it and won the championship
Heat had it and made the finals.

From what I have seen so far (preseason)

Brooklyn has it
LAC doesn’t
Denver still has it
Milwaukee lost it
Dallas has it

Philly?
Boston should still have it
Houston?
You are making definitive opinions on the chemistry of teams after one whole preseason game that means nothing?

Not so sure you have enough info to go by just yet.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 07:43:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think it takes 15 or 20 games to sort things out.  At that point, it’s fair to talk about bad chemistry.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 08:00:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it takes 15 or 20 games to sort things out.  At that point, it’s fair to talk about bad chemistry.
As a rule, you are correct but sometimes you can see the chemistry will be great right away. The 2007-08 Celtics come to mind, but this is generally the great exception.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 08:33:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thing is though - I think we've had great chemistry from the time that GH, Al and Kyrie were first brought together...

The trajectory of "THAT" Big Three could've been changed drastically if GH hadn't got hurt....

Folks blame Kyrie - and that is your right....and he DOES deserve some of the blame and even admitted to it.

But let's be real - INJURIES have been huge against BOS the last few years.

But I think the components for good chemistry WERE there....it's just that things had to fall in place (ie - no injuries to key personnel) for it all to come together.

Can anyone here imagine if KG had went down in that FIRST GAME against WAS? Our first game in 2007-08? With the same injury he experienced in Utah?

Oftentimes one KEY player going down can affect the trajectory of a team's success.....and when that happens we oftentimes find a scapegoat or two.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 08:53:24 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
It will be interesting to see. In some cases it is about the group dynamic. One leader-one "next leader"- one malcontent--you can get the rest from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

Depending on how it shakes out, there is one guy who "will die for the ball". He fights the hardest and the rest take their cue from him.

"Us against the world" is a strong play for a team that is not listed as a consensus favorite. The underdog doesn't have to carry the weight of being the team that is the favorite.

The Titans were good examples of this last year. How about the 1967 Red Sox. They took the heavily favored Cardinals and their roster that included seven hall of famers, to seven games.

Doesn't happen like this in the NBA...that often.

The Celtics don't have "any press to read" this year, so the pressure is off. If one bench guy steps up this year? They will be right there at the end as they have a defensive tradition and that is what wins playoff games.

They are one of the youngest teams in the league and they essentially, don't have "real" veteran leadership...their top players are young.

It helps if there is a common enemy and there is too much work to do before facing the Lakers.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 10:13:48 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Thing is though - I think we've had great chemistry from the time that GH, Al and Kyrie were first brought together...

The trajectory of "THAT" Big Three could've been changed drastically if GH hadn't got hurt....

Folks blame Kyrie - and that is your right....and he DOES deserve some of the blame and even admitted to it.

But I think the components for good chemistry WERE there....it's just that things had to fall in place (ie - no injuries to key personnel) for it all to come together.

Can anyone here imagine if KG had went down in that FIRST GAME against WAS? Our first game in 2007-08? With the same injury he experienced in Utah?

Oftentimes one KEY player going down can affect the trajectory of a team's success.....and when that happens we find a scapegoat or two.

Have you been listening to Irving's delusional rants lately ? I'm afraid he has real mental health issues.

No team with Kyrie Irving is going to maintain good chemistry. He is too disruptive and self-centered.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 10:23:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Oftentimes one KEY player going down can affect the trajectory of a team's success.....and when that happens we find a scapegoat or two.

Have you been listening to Irving's delusional rants lately ? I'm afraid he has real mental health issues.

No team with Kyrie Irving is going to maintain good chemistry. He is too disruptive and self-centered.

Can I call you---------------

"Dr. Tenn_Smoothie"?

I mean this in JEST, of course, but the point is is that has anyone "diagnosed" Kyrie as having mental issues?

I mean - if he is as bad as folks here say then perhaps there should be some intervention with him.

Heck - sign ME up for that intervention--------------I lived through the last 4 years.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 10:35:34 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
Yep, cant wait to see who Marcus throws a chair at this year.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 10:39:44 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Unless your teammate is LeBron James and with his squad from 2016

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 11:06:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
The cool thing is that - regardless of the past - our "Current" squad is ready to make the next step....

The Jays and Smart are - I think - the ONLY ones left over that can claim the last 3 years or so of success....that is HUGE and those three are STILL so young......

Our chemistry will be GOLDEN....and adding Tristan will only help.

Losing GH will lessen the mouths to feed BUT give us LESS wiggle room for mistakes...GH - when healthy - covered a MULTITUDE of mistakes with his versatility.

Now it's TIME for The Jays to take that next step....keep that chemistry going and take the keys to this car.

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 12:09:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
As a rule, you are correct but sometimes you can see the chemistry will be great right away. The 2007-08 Celtics come to mind, but this is generally the great exception.

Conversely you could see in the first preseason game vs Charlotte in 2018-19 that the Celtics didn’t have it.

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 12:16:15 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
It will be interesting to see. In some cases it is about the group dynamic. One leader-one "next leader"- one malcontent--you can get the rest from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

Depending on how it shakes out, there is one guy who "will die for the ball". He fights the hardest and the rest take their cue from him.

"Us against the world" is a strong play for a team that is not listed as a consensus favorite. The underdog doesn't have to carry the weight of being the team that is the favorite.

The Titans were good examples of this last year. How about the 1967 Red Sox. They took the heavily favored Cardinals and their roster that included seven hall of famers, to seven games.

Doesn't happen like this in the NBA...that often.

The Celtics don't have "any press to read" this year, so the pressure is off. If one bench guy steps up this year? They will be right there at the end as they have a defensive tradition and that is what wins playoff games.

They are one of the youngest teams in the league and they essentially, don't have "real" veteran leadership...their top players are young.

It helps if there is a common enemy and there is too much work to do before facing the Lakers.

All very well said.

I myself am very optimistic. Looks like there’s good leadership on this team.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 04:27:38 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Conversely you could see in the first preseason game vs Charlotte in 2018-19 that the Celtics didn’t have it.

There wasn't natural chemistry during the preseason games in 2017/2018 either.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 08:09:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

There wasn't natural chemistry during the preseason games in 2017/2018 either.

They were 4-1 though.