Author Topic: Tatum is now listed as 6'10"  (Read 11251 times)

Re: Tatum is now listed as 6'10"
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 10:30:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Tatum claimed to be 6'9 a few days ago on instagram.

For whoever mentioned him above, IIRC someone leaked Philly's actual measurments last offseason, and Embiid was 6'11.5.

Re: Tatum, the big # to me is that he's supposedly added 10 lbs+. I guess we'll  see in the next few days.
He still looks like he could add 10-20 more tbh.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 10:43:29 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
https://youtu.be/jQK7RkZ1ha0?t=315

This is from last summer. Check out the picture when Tatum chest bumps Bamba.

I liked this game a lot more before the official measurements came out. It's more fun to go frame by frame on youtube videos to compare Tatum with guys who had official measurements in the draft.

Honestly doesn't matter much. Tatum has really good practical length. He can score against just about anyone in the NBA. He plays defense on point guards like in the playoffs against Lowry and FVV. He also plays against forwards like Gallinari or Leonard. Right now, Jaylen Brown normally takes bigger guys like Siakim or Bam, but I think Tatum will eventually do some of that too.

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 11:12:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Honestly doesn't matter much.

This sums it up.  I think people are trying to squeeze another inch or two out of Tatum so that they it can somehow be justified that we play him out of position as a big.

Tatum is a wing.  A wing with nice length, but a wing.  He is not a big.  The Celtics play a lot with 1 big.  That seems to work fine in today's NBA but if the other team plays with 2 bigs, it creates mismatches (going both ways).  This is all still true whether Tatum is 6' 8-3/8" and listed as 6'-8" or if he is 6' 8-7/8" and listed as 6'-9".

I never understood why many seem to want to take one of the best young wings in the NBA and turn him into a PF.  The solution to the Celtics lack of a decent PF is not to try and make Tatum a PF.  The solution is to get a decent PF on the roster (because yes, sometimes you need 2 bigs on the floor).  I just don't get this.

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 11:27:37 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

For whoever mentioned him above, IIRC someone leaked Philly's actual measurments last offseason, and Embiid was 6'11.5.

Re: Tatum, the big # to me is that he's supposedly added 10 lbs+. I guess we'll  see in the next few days.

I'm not sure of that. He looks pretty big now.

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 12:01:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

This sums it up.  I think people are trying to squeeze another inch or two out of Tatum so that they it can somehow be justified that we play him out of position as a big.

Tatum is a wing.  A wing with nice length, but a wing.  He is not a big.  The Celtics play a lot with 1 big.  That seems to work fine in today's NBA but if the other team plays with 2 bigs, it creates mismatches (going both ways).  This is all still true whether Tatum is 6' 8-3/8" and listed as 6'-8" or if he is 6' 8-7/8" and listed as 6'-9".

I never understood why many seem to want to take one of the best young wings in the NBA and turn him into a PF.  The solution to the Celtics lack of a decent PF is not to try and make Tatum a PF.  The solution is to get a decent PF on the roster (because yes, sometimes you need 2 bigs on the floor).  I just don't get this.

QUESTION: Do you consider Giannis a wing or a big?

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 12:06:43 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I'm not sure of that. He looks pretty big now.

His upper body looks bigger, but still has skinny legs and maybe could add some core strength.

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2020, 12:11:54 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Tatum is a forward who can play either position. He's not out of position playing power forward. Looking at positions past that is outdated.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 12:20:46 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I believe it!  Look at the starting five from a couple years ago, Tatum towers over some of the guys listed taller than he.  I know picture angles has a a lot to do with it, but not that much.

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 12:26:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I believe it!  Look at the starting five from a couple years ago, Tatum towers over some of the guys listed taller than he.  I know picture angles has a a lot to do with it, but not that much.

He is about the same height as Horford. Which is 6'8.5

with shoes close to 6'10. Same with Bam

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

For reference.

Jaylen at the combine was 6' 5.25" shoes off. With a seven foot wingapan.

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

For reference.

Jaylen at the combine was 6' 5.25" shoes off. With a seven foot wingspan.

crazy ratio

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 01:06:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
We don't seriously think Tatum grew an inch or more in the last 90 days, do we?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2020, 01:17:01 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

For reference.

Jaylen at the combine was 6' 5.25" shoes off. With a seven foot wingapan.

And officially changed to 6'6" last year when the NBA cleaned up the measurements.  Tatum is easily 3-4 inches taller than JB7.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2020, 01:18:43 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Have Tatum start at center  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

god, what that line-up was expected to accomplish, until that first game    :'(