Poll

Who needs to be replaced/upgraded ?

Jayson Tatum as the best player (11th ESPN ranking)
1 (2.7%)
Jaylen Brown as the second best player (32nd ESPN ranking)
3 (8.1%)
Marcus Smart as the third best player (37th ESPN ranking)
14 (37.8%)
No one, this trio can be good enough to lead the Celtics to a title eventually
19 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: October 05, 2021, 07:39:53 PM

Author Topic: Is Tatum/Brown/Smart a potential championship core?  (Read 3238 times)

Re: Is Tatum/Brown/Smart a potential championship core?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 05:46:30 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wow, until now not a single person has voted against Tatum as the nr 1 option on a championship team.
Great confidence in Tatum apparently. He has been great I acknowledge that, but the best players on the teams that won a championship the last few years have been LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis.
For me it's projecting growth in each player. Can Tatum grow into a #1, most feel yes.

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 06:52:42 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Close but the Cs need a 2nd option to Tatum who can create in the half court in the playoffs. I hope Kemba can get healthy and be that player but I am growing skeptical.

Ideally a team building around those three looks like this

PG. 2nd option who can score in the half court (specifically in the playoffs) and not be a liability on D
SG Smart
SF Brown
PF Tatum
C   highly versatile / switchable defender who play his role on D (Theis and Thompson both should fit this)

6th instant offense guard (maybe Teague this year, the hope for Pritchard down the road)
7th big wing/small ball 5 ( with better 3pt shooting Grant Williams could fill this role
8th versatile wing (Langford and/or Nesmith?)
9th big center (ideally a Baynes type 6'10+ 250+lb big to match with Embiid/Jokic types)   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 08:04:14 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
People are really underrating Kemba. We have him for 3 more seasons - longer than Smart - and he is easily a better player than Smart. We'll have to see how his knee situation goes, but it sounds like he can still basically be himself, he will just have to be managed correctly.

We are going to miss Hayward, but I don't think we need a Hayward caliber player to make up for his absence. Guys like Winslow, Gordon, Barnes, even Joe Ingles are more than enough to pick up the slack of Hayward who wanted a bigger role. Who knows? Maybe somebody like Grant Williams is enough or Nesmith/Romeo prove to be worth their lottery pedigree.

I would say Tatum and Jaylen are good enough to be your top 2, but they aren't Lebron/AD level - you need a strong 3rd scoring option (currently Kemba) and very good two-way players to fill out the roster.

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
With the departure of Irving/Hayward/Horford in two years time, the Celtics have really gone into the new era.
Especially with Kemba having knee problems, it looks like we have to count on the guys who have basically already carried the Celtics to two Conference Finals (although Horford and Rozier had big contributions in 2018 as well).

The Celtics have a lot of young guys who need to be developed and could become valuable players, however I doubt any of Waters/Pritchard/Edwards/Langford/Nesmith/G.Williams/R.Williams has All Star potential. The core will be what it is now unless we make trades.

ESPN ranking has Tatum (11th), Brown (32nd) and Smart (37th), so according to them the Celtics are on the right track, but do you think they'll be good enough for their role?

maybe. Depends on Tatum/Brown ability to improve efficiency in the playoffs,  especially in tight games/from behind

Otherwise the Celts will need a few role players "hero".  And win via Detroit Pistons path.