Author Topic: If you HAD to use the TPE right now..  (Read 10053 times)

Re: If you HAD to use the TPE right now..
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2020, 12:02:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I’d like to see a wing who can handle the ball and create for others.  I think that could be a big loss since Hayward has left.  Ideally you want two guys on the court at a time that can do it.  I don’t think Brown is ready for that.  Tatum didn’t really show that ability until the playoffs. 

I was really hoping for Bogdan after Hayward left. He would have been a great fit.  Nesmith didn’t show that talent in college last year. Fournier would be interesting.  As Jambr380 mentioned,  I keep thinking of Winslow.  Ainge loved him once upon a time.  He can handle the ball and pass.  Obviously, shooting is a weakness and health has been a major problem.  But his contract is decent (especially with the team option next year) and he is still young.  He can also defend multiple positions which would fit our switching defense.  A late first might be enough for Memphis.

Tp - I'm doing my best trying to get the train rolling on Winslow  :P You mentioned his shooting, but he was actually able to turn his dismal early career 3-pt shooting into a strength in his last two healthy seasons. In 2017-18, he shot 38% from 3; and in 18-19, he shot 37.5% on 4 attempts per game. He could use better efficiency inside the arc, but as a young, defensive playmaker from the wing/swing position, who can also knock down 3s, he would be perfect for this team.

And at $13M/yr, we would still be able to bring in a solid player next offseason, while still getting a quality player (and staying under the tax) this season.

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2020, 12:16:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My target would be PJ Tucker.  If the Rockets have to trade Harden and basically reset, which seems reasonably likely, Tucker no longer makes sense for them.

That would still leave enough to add a reasonably large salary next off-season.

Doubles down on the team's strengths instead of really addressing weaknesses, but provides another playoff ready veteran, a guy to throw at opposing star perimeter players, and shores up wing depth.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2020, 12:43:45 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Rudy Gay if Spurs are not going anywhere at the deadline could be had for a second rounder

Kelly Oubre could be had at the deadline too if the warriors don’t look like contenders. He should be basically free as trading him away will save warriors 10s of millions of dollars
I like Oubre better as a back up for the Js or in a line up of Brown at the 2 and Tatum at the 4

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2020, 12:43:56 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
PJ Tucker would be nice. C's could give up a first to trade for him, then use the rest of the TPE in the offseason to take on bad salary and recoup that first. I think teams will be tripping over themselves to create cap space for next year and the Celtics should be able to use the TPE to help with that for the cost of a pick. Tucker's salary is low enough that we could still have a good amount left over after we trade for him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I’d like to see a wing who can handle the ball and create for others.  I think that could be a big loss since Hayward has left.  Ideally you want two guys on the court at a time that can do it.  I don’t think Brown is ready for that.  Tatum didn’t really show that ability until the playoffs. 

I was really hoping for Bogdan after Hayward left. He would have been a great fit.  Nesmith didn’t show that talent in college last year. Fournier would be interesting.  As Jambr380 mentioned,  I keep thinking of Winslow.  Ainge loved him once upon a time.  He can handle the ball and pass.  Obviously, shooting is a weakness and health has been a major problem.  But his contract is decent (especially with the team option next year) and he is still young.  He can also defend multiple positions which would fit our switching defense.  A late first might be enough for Memphis.

Tp - I'm doing my best trying to get the train rolling on Winslow  :P You mentioned his shooting, but he was actually able to turn his dismal early career 3-pt shooting into a strength in his last two healthy seasons. In 2017-18, he shot 38% from 3; and in 18-19, he shot 37.5% on 4 attempts per game. He could use better efficiency inside the arc, but as a young, defensive playmaker from the wing/swing position, who can also knock down 3s, he would be perfect for this team.

And at $13M/yr, we would still be able to bring in a solid player next offseason, while still getting a quality player (and staying under the tax) this season.

I'd be very happy to get Winslow.  Everyone seems to feel that Tatum will handle the extra ball handling duties vacated by Hayward, but I just don't think he has that type of game.  Winslow would be a great cheap add, giving us more physicality, secondary ball handling skills, improving shooting, plays really hard.  I'm down.

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2020, 03:13:03 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Sounds like Poirier salary is being used in the Horford trade to go to Philly.. Philly is deep in the luxury tax ... I wonder if Danny is taking green from Philly into the TPE to get them under the luxury line ..

Wait, what?

Horford back to Philly?

I would take Green, I think there is better though.

Green is certainly interesting, but he would be more interesting if he weren't 33 and his 3pt% hadn't gone from 46% to 37%. Still, it might be a fit if he hasn't hit a wall in terms of his career. 

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2020, 05:50:44 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
PJ Tucker would be nice. C's could give up a first to trade for him,

It shouldn't take that much. Considering Rockets circumstances, I suspect a decent 2nd would get it done.

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
A star

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2020, 07:15:02 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I'd be very happy to get Winslow.  Everyone seems to feel that Tatum will handle the extra ball handling duties vacated by Hayward, but I just don't think he has that type of game.  Winslow would be a great cheap add, giving us more physicality, secondary ball handling skills, improving shooting, plays really hard.  I'm down.

He would be a nice get, although we'd have to wait a bit for him to heal. I'd just be surprised if Memphis sold low on him.

I'm in favor of anyone that adds to our defensive identity and he does that, plus he can run an offense. Who knows? He's been a bit snake bit with weird injuries. Maybe he's really the intriguing lottery pick he looked like a few years ago.

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2020, 09:02:51 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If Kemba is a real concern I'd try for Zach LaVine. Maybe Two 1st and Langford works if Bulls do want to try and tank.

Starters with Kemba out.
Smart, LaVine, Brown, Tatum, Theis

Bench
Teague, Nesmith, Semi, GW, TT

Healthy Kemba
Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis

Bench
Teague, Lavine, Nesmith, GW, TT

That is probably a top 5 best bench in the league with three solid vets that are good at what they do. You could swap Smart with LaVine or TT with Theis depending on what the team match-up is, more offense or more defense the choice is yours.

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2020, 09:25:15 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Some options:

The player I think that scores high on all our checkboxes for what we need is Harrison Barnes.   He has great size and versatile skills on both ends of the floor and has been successful in that #3-4 role on a title team playing a similar system.   I think he'd be a perfect fit with Kemba & the Jays.  He is also considered a good locker room guy.   But I don't know if SAC could be convinced to deal him.   We would have to send out about 7M in salaries in order to stay under the tax.

I think Orlando has to be considered a prime trading target for this because they are so close to the tax.  They have a bunch of RFAs (Fultz, Isaac, etc) that they will have to sign.

Fournier is a UFA and as things stand they likely can't afford to resign him if they want to resign those younger guys.

If they DO want to keep Fournier, then they need to shed either Aaron Gordon or Terrence Ross' salaries.

Net-net:  They will probably want to deal at least one of those three guys.

Of the three, Gordon is my least favorite for what the Celtics need.  I loved him coming out of the draft, but his shot just hasn't developed.  I think it is critical that whomever the Cs get be a credible shooter.  He is the best fit defensively of the three, but unless we had a 3PT shooting "stretch 5", I don't think he works.

Fournier is by far the most versatile and skilled offensively.  He is basically a poor man's Gordon Hayward on offense.  He has a good handle, a smart passer and can score from all three levels.   He's an okay defender -- this is something he's actually improved at with age -- but not a great one.   His size though, at least makes him a good fit in terms of switching in our scheme.

Ross is a fantastic 3PT shooter and would be a great space-maker for the Jays and Kemba.   He's fairly athletic and gets up & down the court.   Like Fournier, he's an okay defender, not a great one.   He's smaller than Gordon & Fournier, though so isn't going to be great switched on bigger wings.   He has an excellent contract.  He's making 13.5M this year and it declines to 12.5M and 11.5M in the next two seasons.

Outside of SAC & ORL, another under-the-radar guy to look at might be Larry Nance, Jr., at CLE.   He's an okay 3PT shooter, though not great.   Very strong rebounder and very efficient scorer inside the paint.   Good size to fit in the 'big wing' slot in our scheme and even potentially could do a little small-ball 5, though I think that would be situational.

Just some ideas.   Very interested to see what Danny does.

To me, while it would be cool to get the perfect stud that fits, I think the marginal value of getting even 'just a good solid wing' is pretty high such that I think it could be a mistake in opportunity cost to wait for the perfect guy.   Adding any of the above guys would be of immediate and dramatic help for our roster.    If we end up waiting until next summer, trying to get 'the perfect deal' then we may miss out on getting a guy who could help with this coming playoffs.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2020, 09:39:23 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Bro if I could get TP right now you better believe I’d use it

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2020, 09:51:41 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
Some options:

The player I think that scores high on all our checkboxes for what we need is Harrison Barnes.   He has great size and versatile skills on both ends of the floor and has been successful in that #3-4 role on a title team playing a similar system.   I think he'd be a perfect fit with Kemba & the Jays.  He is also considered a good locker room guy.   But I don't know if SAC could be convinced to deal him.   We would have to send out about 7M in salaries in order to stay under the tax.

I think Orlando has to be considered a prime trading target for this because they are so close to the tax.  They have a bunch of RFAs (Fultz, Isaac, etc) that they will have to sign.

Fournier is a UFA and as things stand they likely can't afford to resign him if they want to resign those younger guys.

If they DO want to keep Fournier, then they need to shed either Aaron Gordon or Terrence Ross' salaries.

Of the three, Gordon is my least favorite for what the Celtics need.  I loved him coming out of the draft, but his shot just hasn't developed.  I think it is critical that whomever the Cs get be a credible shooter.  He is the best fit defensively of the three, but unless we had a 3PT shooting "stretch 5", I don't think he works.

Fournier is by far the most versatile and skilled offensively.  He is basically a poor man's Gordon Hayward on offense.  He has a good handle, a smart passer and can score from all three levels.   He's an okay defender -- this is something he's actually improved at with age -- but not a great one.   His size though, at least makes him a good fit in terms of switching in our scheme.

Ross is a fantastic 3PT shooter and would be a great space-maker for the Jays and Kemba.   He's fairly athletic and gets up & down the court.   Like Fournier, he's an okay defender, not a great one.   He's smaller than Gordon & Fournier, though so isn't going to be great switched on bigger wings.   He has an excellent contract.  He's making 13.5M this year and it declines to 12.5M and 11.5M in the next two seasons.

Outside of SAC & ORL, another under-the-radar guy to look at might be Larry Nance, Jr., at CLE.   He's an okay 3PT shooter, though not great.   Very strong rebounder and very efficient scorer inside the paint.   Good size to fit in the 'big wing' slot in our scheme and even potentially could do a little small-ball 5, though I think that would be situational.

To me, while it would be cool to get the perfect stud that fits, I think the marginal value of getting even 'just a good solid wing' is pretty high such that I think it could be a mistake in opportunity cost to wait for the perfect guy.   Adding any of the above guys would be of immediate and dramatic help for our roster.    If we end up waiting until next summer, trying to get 'the perfect deal' then we may miss out on getting a guy who could help with this coming playoffs.

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again tonight,  I think that Fournier at 6'7" would be a perfect backup at guard and SF.  I agree with mmmmm.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Some options:

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again tonight,  I think that Fournier at 6'7" would be a perfect backup at guard and SF.  I agree with mmmmm.
Yup. Fournier would be my pick. He places 90-95% of what Hayward was at his best while here in Boston. Still young. Improving defense.

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2020, 10:26:08 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
So Fournier picked up his $17m option this offseason while comparable players got long term contracts at $18-19m per year...
Those are Bogdan and Galinari ... I guess all 3 are euro forwards hence comparable lol...
so given Fourniers forfeiting his free agency he probably projects to be a level or two below bogdan and Gallo ...
magic fans are lukewarm on his defense and overall performance in last playoffs...
do we really want to invest in Fournier ? I think he’s ok for a year but not long term.