Author Topic: If you HAD to use the TPE right now..  (Read 10052 times)

Re: If you HAD to use the TPE right now..
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2020, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Obviously the ideal guy is Aaron Gordon. He is signed through next year, still offers quite a bit of potential, and can keep us under the tax. It also allows us to take in a MLE level contract with the remaining TPE next offseason.

Someone else who checks all the boxes above - with $15.5M left over in TPE for next offseason - is Justise Winslow. He was mostly injured last season, but is still only 24, like Gordon - is also a big wing/swing, and offers solid playmaking from the Forward position. I would say his biggest appeal over Gordon would be cost - how much would MEM really want for him?

There is also Harrison Barnes, but at $22M/yr, he is kind of meh - at least this season. To stay under the tax, we would need to shed around $6M in salary, as well.
I’ve seen Aaron Gordon mentioned a lot and I don’t get it. Outside of being athletic and having good size, what discernible skills does he have that are actually good? He’s not a very good shooter, has low bbiq, and can’t really dribble.
I don’t get it either. To a lot of people on here Gordon minus 3 first rounders ( it’s rumored that magic turned down a 2 first round picks offer for him) minus 2 second rounders (what the tpe cost) is definitely better than Turner plus a first rounder (from Indy)  ... I seriously don’t get the thought process there ...

Because speed kills. He is one of the 10 best athletes in the league and a committed defender who can cover multiple positions, and power forward is his best fit, which we just don't have.

That sort of flexible defensive pressure is cumulative. When you add someone like that to Smart, Brown and Tatum, the overall defense becomes very very tough to beat.

He also is young and reasonably healthy.

I think a lot of people are getting caught up in the fact that he just isn't an offensive star. He can be an offensive plus player though. I think a lot would depend on what he thought about being a 3rd or 4th wheel, but if he was excited about playing for a winner, he should be expected to fill in with 14-16 ppg.
I get he’s a great athlete. I just don’t think he’s a very good basketball player.

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2020, 05:02:49 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I’d trade an asset or two for PJ Tucker. Brings the TPE down to about $19.5MM for the balance, which is plenty for its purpose (and considering we’re hard capped anyway).

I think Tucker would be a nice rotation 3/4 on this team, and a great fit with Smart, Thompson etc as grit guys. Just one more
Guy who makes opponents cringe when they see the Cs on the schedule.
Timelord plus a second round pick.. do it Danny !! lol

You can't add a player with the trade exception!

Oye.

This is a common misconception.  Players can be traded with a TPE, so long as that player’s salary isn’t needed to make the trade work.

Even if you could, this is an overpay.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2020, 05:22:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The player on Orlando I would want would be Evan Fournier. He fits in the TPE and if we send Edwards, the team still stays under luxury tax.

Now, Danny only does this if he sees Fournier as a key piece going forward and would be willing to pay him next year. Fournier could easily replace most of what the Celtics lost in Hayward, namely his shooting percentages, efficient scoring and proven consistent scoring ability.

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2020, 06:03:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
The player on Orlando I would want would be Evan Fournier. He fits in the TPE and if we send Edwards, the team still stays under luxury tax.

Now, Danny only does this if he sees Fournier as a key piece going forward and would be willing to pay him next year. Fournier could easily replace most of what the Celtics lost in Hayward, namely his shooting percentages, efficient scoring and proven consistent scoring ability.
Anything more than the full MLE will be an overpay for Fournier next year... but then again there are quite a few teams with cap space next season so who knows..

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2020, 06:04:54 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

This is the type of player I would focus on as well. Wing player who can score/shoot that can come off the bench. Very solid player. I don’t think he will cost an arm and a leg next offseason.

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2020, 06:11:43 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I really think it depends on what Kemba looks like. If he's gonna be a depleted version the next couple of years then sure, bring on Fourier. But if Kemba is Kemba then I think Fournier is kind of duplicative. He's an on ball creator when you already have two plus one extra in Jaylen whom I'm sure would like the shot to be. He's not a plus defender, he's gonna be a free agent in a summer where a bunch of teams have cap space so he's probably getting overpaid. You'd be paying for his 29-32 age seasons on his next contract.

To me the guy is clearly Aaron Gordon. He fits the teams defensive mentality perfect. He has an extra year on his contract, he's younger, and if he's willing to accept the role I think he can contribute on offense without needing the ball. His next contract will be 27-30 so if you resign him you got basically 6+ years through his prime.

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2020, 06:20:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Derrick Rose?  Cheap, preserves most of the TPE, fills an immediate (but not long term) need

Thad Young?  Signed beyond this year, solid player

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2020, 06:43:28 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Derrick Rose?  Cheap, preserves most of the TPE, fills an immediate (but not long term) need

Thad Young?  Signed beyond this year, solid player

Now that we have Teague I don’t think we need Rose. Thad Young at age 32 is still a solid player, and I think would fit well on our team.  It won’t cost much at all to get him either.

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2020, 06:57:34 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I know he's a nice offensive player. Not familiar enough with his game to say, but is he a solid defender?

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2020, 07:03:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I know he's a nice offensive player. Not familiar enough with his game to say, but is he a solid defender?
He has developed into an average defender after seemingly not caring about defense for years after coming into the league. But Orlando and good defense aren't words often used in the same sentence. So I think Fournier would do well in Stevens' defense first type system.

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2020, 09:07:19 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
The Cs could use some length at shooting guard behind Brown.  I think that Fournier at 6'7" would be a perfect backup at guard and SF.  I don't know how well he would adapt to the Cs switching Defense.  I like his offensive game as long as they don't give up too much for him.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2020, 10:49:53 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Obviously the ideal guy is Aaron Gordon. He is signed through next year, still offers quite a bit of potential, and can keep us under the tax. It also allows us to take in a MLE level contract with the remaining TPE next offseason.

Someone else who checks all the boxes above - with $15.5M left over in TPE for next offseason - is Justise Winslow. He was mostly injured last season, but is still only 24, like Gordon - is also a big wing/swing, and offers solid playmaking from the Forward position. I would say his biggest appeal over Gordon would be cost - how much would MEM really want for him?

There is also Harrison Barnes, but at $22M/yr, he is kind of meh - at least this season. To stay under the tax, we would need to shed around $6M in salary, as well.
I’ve seen Aaron Gordon mentioned a lot and I don’t get it. Outside of being athletic and having good size, what discernible skills does he have that are actually good? He’s not a very good shooter, has low bbiq, and can’t really dribble.
I don’t get it either. To a lot of people on here Gordon minus 3 first rounders ( it’s rumored that magic turned down a 2 first round picks offer for him) minus 2 second rounders (what the tpe cost) is definitely better than Turner plus a first rounder (from Indy)  ... I seriously don’t get the thought process there ...

Because speed kills. He is one of the 10 best athletes in the league and a committed defender who can cover multiple positions, and power forward is his best fit, which we just don't have.

That sort of flexible defensive pressure is cumulative. When you add someone like that to Smart, Brown and Tatum, the overall defense becomes very very tough to beat.

He also is young and reasonably healthy.

I think a lot of people are getting caught up in the fact that he just isn't an offensive star. He can be an offensive plus player though. I think a lot would depend on what he thought about being a 3rd or 4th wheel, but if he was excited about playing for a winner, he should be expected to fill in with 14-16 ppg.
I get he’s a great athlete. I just don’t think he’s a very good basketball player.

On defense, when motivated he’s a very, very good on-ball defender. So there, the athletics translates into excellent play. I haven’t watched him enough to be sure about his team defense, but I remember him making some good switches against the Cs.

I do worry, tho, about what he’d do on the offensive end. His shot selection seems so bad when I watch him, and his shooting %ages are bad.

Net - it’s hard not to be interested, because Smart-Brown-Tatum-Gordon-Thompson could be the best defense in the league. We’d need to trust Brad and Danny to figure out if they’ve got an offensive role for him that he would accept and execute.

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2020, 08:00:38 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Sign me up for a shooter!

JJ Redick please.

Stay under the hard cap/tax line and Win now baby!

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2020, 08:27:16 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
George Hill, Trevor Ariza, Gary Harris, Julius Randle, Lou Williams.

Harris and Randle were two of mine.  Toss in there, Dejounte Murray, I'd really like a PG.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2020, 10:53:59 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’d like to see a wing who can handle the ball and create for others.  I think that could be a big loss since Hayward has left.  Ideally you want two guys on the court at a time that can do it.  I don’t think Brown is ready for that.  Tatum didn’t really show that ability until the playoffs. 

I was really hoping for Bogdan after Hayward left. He would have been a great fit.  Nesmith didn’t show that talent in college last year. Fournier would be interesting.  As Jambr380 mentioned,  I keep thinking of Winslow.  Ainge loved him once upon a time.  He can handle the ball and pass.  Obviously, shooting is a weakness and health has been a major problem.  But his contract is decent (especially with the team option next year) and he is still young.  He can also defend multiple positions which would fit our switching defense.  A late first might be enough for Memphis.