Author Topic: If you HAD to use the TPE right now..  (Read 10051 times)

Re: If you HAD to use the TPE right now..
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 10:19:59 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Aaron gordon
Barnes
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 10:21:58 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Obviously the ideal guy is Aaron Gordon. He is signed through next year, still offers quite a bit of potential, and can keep us under the tax. It also allows us to take in a MLE level contract with the remaining TPE next offseason.

Someone else who checks all the boxes above - with $15.5M left over in TPE for next offseason - is Justise Winslow. He was mostly injured last season, but is still only 24, like Gordon - is also a big wing/swing, and offers solid playmaking from the Forward position. I would say his biggest appeal over Gordon would be cost - how much would MEM really want for him?

There is also Harrison Barnes, but at $22M/yr, he is kind of meh - at least this season. To stay under the tax, we would need to shed around $6M in salary, as well.
I’ve seen Aaron Gordon mentioned a lot and I don’t get it. Outside of being athletic and having good size, what discernible skills does he have that are actually good? He’s not a very good shooter, has low bbiq, and can’t really dribble.
I don’t get it either. To a lot of people on here Gordon minus 3 first rounders ( it’s rumored that magic turned down a 2 first round picks offer for him) minus 2 second rounders (what the tpe cost) is definitely better than Turner plus a first rounder (from Indy)  ... I seriously don’t get the thought process there ...

Because speed kills. He is one of the 10 best athletes in the league and a committed defender who can cover multiple positions, and power forward is his best fit, which we just don't have.

That sort of flexible defensive pressure is cumulative. When you add someone like that to Smart, Brown and Tatum, the overall defense becomes very very tough to beat.

He also is young and reasonably healthy.

I think a lot of people are getting caught up in the fact that he just isn't an offensive star. He can be an offensive plus player though. I think a lot would depend on what he thought about being a 3rd or 4th wheel, but if he was excited about playing for a winner, he should be expected to fill in with 14-16 ppg.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Obviously the ideal guy is Aaron Gordon. He is signed through next year, still offers quite a bit of potential, and can keep us under the tax. It also allows us to take in a MLE level contract with the remaining TPE next offseason.

Someone else who checks all the boxes above - with $15.5M left over in TPE for next offseason - is Justise Winslow. He was mostly injured last season, but is still only 24, like Gordon - is also a big wing/swing, and offers solid playmaking from the Forward position. I would say his biggest appeal over Gordon would be cost - how much would MEM really want for him?

There is also Harrison Barnes, but at $22M/yr, he is kind of meh - at least this season. To stay under the tax, we would need to shed around $6M in salary, as well.
I’ve seen Aaron Gordon mentioned a lot and I don’t get it. Outside of being athletic and having good size, what discernible skills does he have that are actually good? He’s not a very good shooter, has low bbiq, and can’t really dribble.
I don’t get it either. To a lot of people on here Gordon minus 3 first rounders ( it’s rumored that magic turned down a 2 first round picks offer for him) minus 2 second rounders (what the tpe cost) is definitely better than Turner plus a first rounder (from Indy)  ... I seriously don’t get the thought process there ...

I don't disagree with you guys. Turner and a 1st from IND is undoubtedly better than Gordon minus 3 1st rounders. I think all things being equal, he checks all of the boxes of a player you want with that TPE, but I agree that the cost might be too prohibitive.

That's why I keep going back to Winslow. He's cheaper, checks all of those same boxes, and would likely cost a lot less to acquire. If the price for Gordon is Langford and two 1sts, and the price for Winslow is 2 2nds or 1 1st, I happily take the Winslow deal. And, as I mentioned, you still have $15.5M in TPE to use next offseason. He even has a team option for 21-22 if it turns out to be a colossal disaster.

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

I don't disagree with you guys. Turner and a 1st from IND is undoubtedly better than Gordon minus 3 1st rounders. I think all things being equal, he checks all of the boxes of a player you want with that TPE, but I agree that the cost might be too prohibitive.

That's why I keep going back to Winslow. He's cheaper, checks all of those same boxes, and would likely cost a lot less to acquire. If the price for Gordon is Langford and two 1sts, and the price for Winslow is 2 2nds or 1 1st, I happily take the Winslow deal. And, as I mentioned, you still have $15.5M in TPE to use next offseason. He even has a team option for 21-22 if it turns out to be a colossal disaster.
I wonder if Danny has soured on Winslow... there was that time he was offering 4 1st round picks for him 😂

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Sounds like Poirier salary is being used in the Horford trade to go to Philly.. Philly is deep in the luxury tax ... I wonder if Danny is taking green from Philly into the TPE to get them under the luxury line ..

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2020, 02:08:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Sounds like Poirier salary is being used in the Horford trade to go to Philly.. Philly is deep in the luxury tax ... I wonder if Danny is taking green from Philly into the TPE to get them under the luxury line ..

Is this a trade that’s happening?

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

They are holding the trade to be executed till the 8th of December when certain salaries can be aggregated in a trade (someone was saying on Twitter that Poiriers salary is just enough for that)... this way the thunder don’t have to use their $27.5m exception but can send matching salaries ... unless Philly send other contracts back to the thunder they will be $14M above the luxury line. This means that Green costs them a lot of money to be on the roster..

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2020, 02:50:16 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Wait, what?

Horford back to Philly?

I would take Green, I think there is better though.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2020, 03:00:28 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I’d trade an asset or two for PJ Tucker. Brings the TPE down to about $19.5MM for the balance, which is plenty for its purpose (and considering we’re hard capped anyway).

I think Tucker would be a nice rotation 3/4 on this team, and a great fit with Smart, Thompson etc as grit guys. Just one more
Guy who makes opponents cringe when they see the Cs on the schedule.
Timelord plus a second round pick.. do it Danny !! lol

This is in my opinion the exact opposite of what we should be doing. PJ Tucker is 35!
We should use the TPE for a longterm help, because we'll be even more limited in our opportunities in the future.

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 03:12:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Jabari Parker, anyone?

Won't cost much. Fits a positional need, swing forward 3/4.  A lot of his athleticism has returned.  Biggest criticism is his lateral deficiency on defense.

Would be a good big forward off the bench for some quick points.

What do you think?

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 03:18:05 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
I’d trade an asset or two for PJ Tucker. Brings the TPE down to about $19.5MM for the balance, which is plenty for its purpose (and considering we’re hard capped anyway).

I think Tucker would be a nice rotation 3/4 on this team, and a great fit with Smart, Thompson etc as grit guys. Just one more

This is in my opinion the exact opposite of what we should be doing. PJ Tucker is 35!
We should use the TPE for a longterm help, because we'll be even more limited in our opportunities in the future.
I agree with that but the problem is that to bring in long term solution using the tpe you have to pay a hefty price: 2-3 first round picks and or promising young players...
as of right now the highest value young player we have is Grant Williams - he’s probably worth a lottery protected pick... the rest of our young guys can hardly bring a second round pick ( maybe nesmith can get you a lakers or bucks first round pick in 2021).
Maybe finally getting short term help to add to our depth can put us through the eastern conference for once... 🤷🏻‍♂️
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:24:20 PM by NKY fan »

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2020, 04:13:05 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
Gordon would interesting with Stevens. 

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2020, 04:14:38 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I agree with that but the problem is that to bring in long term solution using the tpe you have to pay a hefty price: 2-3 first round picks and or promising young players...
as of right now the highest value young player we have is Grant Williams - he’s probably worth a lottery protected pick... the rest of our young guys can hardly bring a second round pick ( maybe nesmith can get you a lakers or bucks first round pick in 2021).
Maybe finally getting short term help to add to our depth can put us through the eastern conference for once... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ainge is going to lurk on bigger deals and offer to facilitate. Watch the Harden situation, as an example. Someone is going to want to get something done and he's hoping to be there to help make a trade fit for another team. We won't just go out there and offer a straight up deal.

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

They are holding the trade to be executed till the 8th of December when certain salaries can be aggregated in a trade (someone was saying on Twitter that Poiriers salary is just enough for that)... this way the thunder don’t have to use their $27.5m exception but can send matching salaries ... unless Philly send other contracts back to the thunder they will be $14M above the luxury line. This means that Green costs them a lot of money to be on the roster..

I'd be shocked if they dealt Green. They traded for him because he helps in a kew area and he's projected to start. No way they flip him before they get him on the court, that's wishful thinking.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Because speed kills. He is one of the 10 best athletes in the league and a committed defender who can cover multiple positions, and power forward is his best fit, which we just don't have.

That sort of flexible defensive pressure is cumulative. When you add someone like that to Smart, Brown and Tatum, the overall defense becomes very very tough to beat.

He also is young and reasonably healthy.

I think a lot of people are getting caught up in the fact that he just isn't an offensive star. He can be an offensive plus player though. I think a lot would depend on what he thought about being a 3rd or 4th wheel, but if he was excited about playing for a winner, he should be expected to fill in with 14-16 ppg.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. His defensive potential is really intriguing. His speed and athleticism at his size is something we lack, we regularly had Jaylen defending power forwards last season. He handled it well, but I do think we'd benefit if there was a guy who could take the responsibility from him. We kind of lucked out that we didn't have to deal with Giannis in the bubble or Durant at all. We even managed to miss Ben Simmons.

And Gordon definitely isn't an offensive star, but it's not like he's terrible. He can give you 15ish points a night which is exactly what we need from a 4th option. He's not a shooter, but he'd be a pretty legit roll guy in pick & rolls.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman