Author Topic: If you HAD to use the TPE right now..  (Read 10050 times)

If you HAD to use the TPE right now..
« on: December 04, 2020, 02:42:29 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  How would you use it? I was just curious about different people’s opinions in this hypothetical situation if we were building a team with the closest shot at winning the  whole thing. Even if it’s not good enough, what would be the best team you could envision?

Re: If you HAD to use the TPE right now..
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 10:39:32 PM »

Online aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
If we could get Aaron Gordon without giving up Tatum, Brown, Walker, Smart, or Thompson I'd probably do the deal.  I like his defense and his offense would fit in well.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 11:06:43 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Carsen for George Hill ... OKC need to cut player so he must be had cheap.
Hill can start when Kemba can’t

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 01:46:00 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If we could get Aaron Gordon without giving up Tatum, Brown, Walker, Smart, or Thompson I'd probably do the deal.  I like his defense and his offense would fit in well.

Same. I'd offer Orlando Romeo Langford (the fans over at their SB nation site really want a young backcourt player next to Fultz) and a couple of 1sts. Not sure that's enough though.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 04:42:27 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Same. I'd offer Orlando Romeo Langford (the fans over at their SB nation site really want a young backcourt player next to Fultz) and a couple of 1sts. Not sure that's enough though.

I’m pretty sure you can’t combine players with the trade exception in a trade.  Plus I’d like to see what Romeo can do this year. 

The Bucks gave up 3 firsts and 2 pick swaps to get Holiday.  Maybe we wouldn’t have to go to that extreme, but maybe 2 firsts and a pick swap could get us Aaron Gordon. There is some risk with us with picks as Walker has knee issues, and if Brown or Tatum are out for any length of time it can become a good pick.

I think we are going to hold onto the trade exception for now, but if we were to use it now knowing we are hard capped at around 20 mil I’d want to get someone with multiple years left on the deal that we could possibly flip later on.

Here are some players I came up with.  Some of these teams might have to attach draft assets for us if they want to get out of the tax, or the player is a little overpaid(but still useful player for us).

Aaron Gordon
Terrence Ross (always seems to play well against us)
Caris Levert, Joe Harris, or Taurean Prince (Nets are deep into the tax)
Dare I say old friend Marcus Morris (Clippers are taxpayers too, and different situation than before where we might need his offense more now)
Eric Gordon (if they want to get out of the tax)
TJ Warren (doubtful)
Derrick Favors(if Theis or R Williams is part of another trade)
Justice Winslow
Larry Nance JR
Julius Randle (always a little intrigued and could provide some low post scoring and rebounding)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 06:02:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I’m pretty sure you can’t combine players with the trade exception in a trade.  Plus I’d like to see what Romeo can do this year. 

The Bucks gave up 3 firsts and 2 pick swaps to get Holiday.  Maybe we wouldn’t have to go to that extreme, but maybe 2 firsts and a pick swap could get us Aaron Gordon. There is some risk with us with picks as Walker has knee issues, and if Brown or Tatum are out for any length of time it can become a good pick.

I think we are going to hold onto the trade exception for now, but if we were to use it now knowing we are hard capped at around 20 mil I’d want to get someone with multiple years left on the deal that we could possibly flip later on.

Here are some players I came up with.  Some of these teams might have to attach draft assets for us if they want to get out of the tax, or the player is a little overpaid(but still useful player for us).

Aaron Gordon
Terrence Ross (always seems to play well against us)
Caris Levert, Joe Harris, or Taurean Prince (Nets are deep into the tax)
Dare I say old friend Marcus Morris (Clippers are taxpayers too, and different situation than before where we might need his offense more now)
Eric Gordon (if they want to get out of the tax)
TJ Warren (doubtful)
Derrick Favors(if Theis or R Williams is part of another trade)
Justice Winslow
Larry Nance JR
Julius Randle (always a little intrigued and could provide some low post scoring and rebounding)
You can trade players with TPEs cause if you trade one Player for picks and TPE you create a TPE for the other team. They absorb other players with that. And even though team is hard capped at around 20 million if they move a player before using the TPE they raise the hard cap so long as they aren't taking back salary. They could technically use the whole 27 million if they moved other guys till then it's 20 million.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 07:55:57 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Obviously the ideal guy is Aaron Gordon. He is signed through next year, still offers quite a bit of potential, and can keep us under the tax. It also allows us to take in a MLE level contract with the remaining TPE next offseason.

Someone else who checks all the boxes above - with $15.5M left over in TPE for next offseason - is Justise Winslow. He was mostly injured last season, but is still only 24, like Gordon - is also a big wing/swing, and offers solid playmaking from the Forward position. I would say his biggest appeal over Gordon would be cost - how much would MEM really want for him?

There is also Harrison Barnes, but at $22M/yr, he is kind of meh - at least this season. To stay under the tax, we would need to shed around $6M in salary, as well.

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 08:08:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
George Hill, Trevor Ariza, Gary Harris, Julius Randle, Lou Williams.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 08:29:36 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Obviously the ideal guy is Aaron Gordon. He is signed through next year, still offers quite a bit of potential, and can keep us under the tax. It also allows us to take in a MLE level contract with the remaining TPE next offseason.

Someone else who checks all the boxes above - with $15.5M left over in TPE for next offseason - is Justise Winslow. He was mostly injured last season, but is still only 24, like Gordon - is also a big wing/swing, and offers solid playmaking from the Forward position. I would say his biggest appeal over Gordon would be cost - how much would MEM really want for him?

There is also Harrison Barnes, but at $22M/yr, he is kind of meh - at least this season. To stay under the tax, we would need to shed around $6M in salary, as well.
I’ve seen Aaron Gordon mentioned a lot and I don’t get it. Outside of being athletic and having good size, what discernible skills does he have that are actually good? He’s not a very good shooter, has low bbiq, and can’t really dribble.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 08:56:27 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

I’ve seen Aaron Gordon mentioned a lot and I don’t get it. Outside of being athletic and having good size, what discernible skills does he have that are actually good? He’s not a very good shooter, has low bbiq, and can’t really dribble.
I don’t get it either. To a lot of people on here Gordon minus 3 first rounders ( it’s rumored that magic turned down a 2 first round picks offer for him) minus 2 second rounders (what the tpe cost) is definitely better than Turner plus a first rounder (from Indy)  ... I seriously don’t get the thought process there ...

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 09:13:53 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I’d trade an asset or two for PJ Tucker. Brings the TPE down to about $19.5MM for the balance, which is plenty for its purpose (and considering we’re hard capped anyway).

I think Tucker would be a nice rotation 3/4 on this team, and a great fit with Smart, Thompson etc as grit guys. Just one more
Guy who makes opponents cringe when they see the Cs on the schedule.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 09:49:09 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
I’d trade an asset or two for PJ Tucker. Brings the TPE down to about $19.5MM for the balance, which is plenty for its purpose (and considering we’re hard capped anyway).

I think Tucker would be a nice rotation 3/4 on this team, and a great fit with Smart, Thompson etc as grit guys. Just one more
Timelord plus a second round pick.. do it Danny !! lol

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 09:57:32 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

You can't add a player with the trade exception!

Oye.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 10:11:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You can't add a player with the trade exception!

Oye.

This is a common misconception.  Players can be traded with a TPE, so long as that player’s salary isn’t needed to make the trade work.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 10:11:52 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
George Hill, Trevor Ariza, Gary Harris, Julius Randle, Lou Williams.
love to get one of these guys
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin