Author Topic: What about Al Horford (Don't call me Big Al)?  (Read 5375 times)

What about Al Horford (Don't call me Big Al)?
« on: December 04, 2020, 01:41:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Horford is 34. He had a bad year last season, but mostly due to roster construction in Philly.

We could probably get him back with the trade exception.  His $27.5 mm salary just fits. He is under contract control for 3 years, while Theis will be a FA after this season.  We would have to trade out about $7.5 mm in salary due to the hard cap.  Could be done in a separate trade of Theis plus Semi plus Carson I think.  Would be about a wash in picks going out/coming in.

New Lineup:

Kemba/Teague/Smart/Pritchard
Smart/Brown/Romeo/Nesmith
Brown/Tatum/GWillams
Tatum/Horford/GWilliams
Horford/Thompson/RWiliams

You either like or dislike this trade depending on whether you like swapping Theis for Al Horford.  I think that it would be an upgrade for us.  Al has a wider skill set than Daniel, can stretch the floor.  I would want to see whether his defensive abilities are still intact. Didn't really follow him much last season.

Would this be a good move or a bad move?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 10:53:36 AM by footey »

Re: What about Big Al?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 01:46:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I do like the fit of Al with this team, if he could buy in to Tatum and Brown being the primary playmakers. He was a big reason why Morris and Irving got so many shots over those guys in his last season. He was the facilitator.

Cap situation gets nuts next season by taking him into the trade exception. I'm pretty sure we'd need to include Theis and someone else so we can fit under the hard cap as well.

Still, Horford is a great role player and one of the best defenders against Simmons and Embiid. He can stretch the floor and passes at a high level. He's a good role player that fits what we need.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 01:46:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 01:52:53 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I think there are better ways to "spend" the TPE and utilize the cap space up to the hard limit we now have to work with.  Don't know exactly what those options might be but I would gamble on waiting.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 02:03:41 PM »

• Paul Silas
I think there are better ways to "spend" the TPE and utilize the cap space up to the hard limit we now have to work with.  Don't know exactly what those options might be but I would gamble on waiting.

I'm curious what you think may materialize this season. What situations are you monitoring that could give better role players to the Cs?

The ideal is that somehow, someway, Giannis comes available, but that's not realistic.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 02:29:21 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

I'm curious what you think may materialize this season. What situations are you monitoring that could give better role players to the Cs?

The ideal is that somehow, someway, Giannis comes available, but that's not realistic.

I don't envision a "big splash" at all, in any case and certainly not one that results in us getting Giannis.  A big splash scenario would have to include trading Kemba, not using a TPE, which I think is unlikely but possible.  Specific to the Hayward TPE and also the Kanter TPE (at $5M), I see these being used for more mid priced ($5M to $15M) options that can fill in specific needs, such as a wing off the bench.

The Celtics don't need to rush out and do anything.  They can sit back and wait to better understand what our needs are and to see what becomes available.  There is always a period where teams are dumping salary.  These TPE give us great flexibility to be opportunistic when the right player at the right cost/contract is available.  To me, Al Horford is not the right player or the right contract.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 02:35:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
How many 1st round picks we getting to take him on?  And what salary is going out since we'd be above the line we can't cross.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 02:37:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think that ship has sailed - especially at his salary and for what he showed last season.

Now if he gets bought out and is interested in coming back at the BAE, then let's consider it.

EDIT: I do think teams will be sellers this year to some extent with revenue down due to Covid and no fans. I'd much rather see what shakes on the market then do the retread/nostalgia thing.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »

• Paul Silas

I don't envision a "big splash" at all, in any case and certainly not one that results in us getting Giannis.  A big splash scenario would have to include trading Kemba, not using a TPE, which I think is unlikely but possible.  Specific to the Hayward TPE and also the Kanter TPE (at $5M), I see these being used for more mid priced ($5M to $15M) options that can fill in specific needs, such as a wing off the bench.

The Celtics don't need to rush out and do anything.  They can sit back and wait to better understand what our needs are and to see what becomes available.  There is always a period where teams are dumping salary.  These TPE give us great flexibility to be opportunistic when the right player at the right cost/contract is available.  To me, Al Horford is not the right player or the right contract.

Probably the right move. I like the way you are thinking.

Still, I'd love to hear what situations you are monitoring.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 02:53:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We’re hardcapped at the apron.  We can’t fit him without sending out salary.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 03:03:15 PM »

• Paul Silas

We'd have to send Theis, but how much more salary would we need to send?

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I said that in the OP.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Well they didn't want him on that salary before he signed with PHI, then he played worse. So I don't see why they'd want him now.

They just balked at paying a 25 year old center 18 million a year over 3, I doubt they want to pay a 34 year old center 28 million over 3.

Plus hard cap issues, going into the luxury tax, ect.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

We'd have to send Theis, but how much more salary would we need to send?

Not much, but then then you're in the tax and I don't think a 34 year old 28 million dollar Al Horford is worth going into the tax this year.

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 03:18:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
How many 1st round picks we getting to take him on?  And what salary is going out since we'd be above the line we can't cross.

Theis $5 mm
Edwards $1.5 mm
Semi  $1.7 mm

Horford is $27.5 mm.    Shedding $8.2 mm would get us under the hard cap.