3 (10%)
A couple weeks into the season
0 (0%)
Right around trade deadline
15 (50%)
Next offseason
12 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: How long do they wait to use TPE?  (Read 6769 times)

How long do they wait to use TPE?
« on: December 04, 2020, 11:12:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
While it is fun to think about who the Celtics can get, the other question is how long do they wait before trying to shop?   (different from when they actually use it if their is a lack of useful items being sold)

Do the Celtics know now what role (or roles) they are looking for?   

Or do the Celtics wait and see how the new pieces work together?   

Wait to see what growth takes place?

Do they wait and see how Kemba responds? 

Re: How long do they wait to use TPE?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Next offseason

90 percent they wont this season to try to avoid repeat luxury tax

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 11:28:50 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Next offseason

I agree, I suspect the TPE will be used to allow the Cs to be players in Free agency.

The one exception might be if Thompson and Timelord are playing well enough to justify trading away Theis. I could see Theis traded away for a first and that first and the Cs own 2021 1st being offered up for Aaron Gordon if the Magic are out of the playoff hunt.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 11:29:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Next offseason

They can use part of it without going into the tax this year.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 11:38:33 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I see the TPE being used in at least two deals.  I think they will get at least one player at or around the trade deadline.  Danny pretty much said he wants to get the team as it stands on the court so that he can see what they have.  What they think they need now for this season may change.  Luxury tax limits and/or hard cap restrictions will probably cause the Celtics to "spend" no more than about $15M of the TPE this season (including the smaller TPEs that they have for Kanter and Poirier).  This could be one or a couple of player to reach the $15M or less.

Whatever they don't use this season can be held to the offseason and any player(s) obtained then will count towards next seasons cap and tax thresholds.  The TPEs can't be combined but I could see them using the $5M for Kanter on a player at the deadline and then maybe $10M of Hayward's $28M, leaving them a nice amount to use in the off season potentially on one pretty decent player.

So the answer is probably all of the above (or most of the above).

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 11:38:55 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Next offseason

They can use part of it without going into the tax this year.

Yup, roughly 20 mil of it we can use this year. However, if we wait until next offseason to use it before it expires I believe we can use all of it, and it would give us more options.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we just save all of it for next offseason. 

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Agree with the comments, but I'd add that I think Ainge will also think opportunistically. If a quality long term complimentary player is available, he's got to pull the trigger and worry about money later.

This is a good team. If we were able to grab a really nice player because someone wanted to shed salary, you have to do it when it's there, because you don't always get a chance when you want one. Free agents are fun to think about, but there is competition, and you might very well not get one you really want when its convenient. You have to pull the trigger if you are lucky and have a shot at someone really useful.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I see the TPE being used in at least two deals.  I think they will get at least one player at or around the trade deadline.  Danny pretty much said he wants to get the team as it stands on the court so that he can see what they have.

I take anything Danny says with a boulder sized grain of salt. I don't expect him to be transparent or forthcoming with his plans, he essentially has no other choice than to say he wants to see what this team has because if he goes "well, we have this hole that we need to fill to be a contender and not a pretender," that's a blatant lack of confidence in a young team. Danny and Zarren are realists, they know we don't have enough.

With that said, I hope they use it before the season starts because Danny doesn't often do in season trades and I'd rather not waste a season pretending that this team has a shot at coming out of the East. But I'm fully expecting Danny to do nothing until next offseason, if he uses it at all.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 12:28:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Next offseason

I agree, I suspect the TPE will be used to allow the Cs to be players in Free agency.

The one exception might be if Thompson and Timelord are playing well enough to justify trading away Theis. I could see Theis traded away for a first and that first and the Cs own 2021 1st being offered up for Aaron Gordon if the Magic are out of the playoff hunt.

Theis is not going to bring back a 1st. I believe he is over valued in this forum

Celts ride him out until the end of the season. Need the depth just in case/foul issues etc

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 01:01:53 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I see the TPE being used in at least two deals.  I think they will get at least one player at or around the trade deadline.  Danny pretty much said he wants to get the team as it stands on the court so that he can see what they have.

I take anything Danny says with a boulder sized grain of salt. I don't expect him to be transparent or forthcoming with his plans, he essentially has no other choice than to say he wants to see what this team has because if he goes "well, we have this hole that we need to fill to be a contender and not a pretender," that's a blatant lack of confidence in a young team. Danny and Zarren are realists, they know we don't have enough.

With that said, I hope they use it before the season starts because Danny doesn't often do in season trades and I'd rather not waste a season pretending that this team has a shot at coming out of the East. But I'm fully expecting Danny to do nothing until next offseason, if he uses it at all.

I don't disagree to the extent that if a good deal presents itself in the near term, well before the trade deadline, I am sure Ainge would take advantage to bring in whatever player that may be.  I do believe that it is more likely that Ainge ends up doing just what he said, get this group on the court, assess current and future injuries, gauge development of rookies and other young players, and wait to see what the greatest need and opportunity ends up being.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 01:05:48 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Next offseason

Theis is not going to bring back a 1st. I believe he is over valued in this forum

Celts ride him out until the end of the season. Need the depth just in case/foul issues etc

We need Theis.  I actually expect him to have a pretty important role on the team this season.  Makes no sense to trade him to get Aaron Gordon.  And even if that is what you want to do, why not just trade Theis and our first to Orlando directly?

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 01:20:28 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Unless there is a player in the $20+ million range that he truly covets and wants to hold out to see if he can snag them in the offseason, I’m thinking he uses part of it around the deadline; if I’m not mistaken, he can also use it to claim players waived after the deadline as well.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Next offseason

Not sure how the TPE helps the team in free agency. A sign and trade into the TPE triggers a hard cap and with 11 contracts already having the team very close to the apron, being hard capped would mean needing to dump tens of millions of dollars worth of salary, just to make the sign and trade work.

The TPE could be saved to complete a trade for a player already under contract next off-season allowing the team to go over the tax and apron all they want, but there won't be a sign and trade into it. 

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 02:36:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Until the right player(s) become available.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 02:58:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Until the right player(s) become available.
Best answer here. :angel: :angel: