Author Topic: Hayward sign-and-trade completed  (Read 62388 times)

Re: Hayward sign-and-trade still on the table
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2020, 03:50:36 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don't know if any sign and trade is going to happen with Charlotte, but it's clear that Ainge blew it by not taking Indiana's sign and trade for Turner and McDermott.

That's WEEI's position, and I agree with it.

From what (little) we know, Indiana wasn't offering as much money as Charlotte.  Maybe Gordon was willing to go there for less, but it seems that Ainge determined that Turner was not valuable enough.  I think there's good reason to think that he was correct in that assessment.  Indiana wouldn't give up Warren or Oladipo, so they couldn't get a deal done.

We don't know yet if Ainge will get a TPE from Charlotte, but it seems very likely that a TPE could be more useful than Turner and McDermott.

Honestly I'd rather have Tristan Thompson on a 2 year / $19 million deal than Myles Turner for 4 years at $18 million per.

The problem with this logic, and what a lot here fail to recognize is, we lost Hayward’s cap space by Ainge not making the trade. Despite how you feel about turner that’s an asset we would have got in return for Hayward instead of nothing.

We still could have signed Thompson, or used that money to sign somebody else. We could have flipped turner for picks or another player.

Instead Ainge stubbornness got us nothing.

More importantly, and as I said before, it’s an extremely bad look for Ainge from a PR standpoint for not letting Hayward go home.

Right now the national narrative is Ainge overplayed his hand, Hayward would have taken the hometown discount for the pacers and Ainge blew it for him. That’s not a good look for Ainge, I’ll tell you this much if I played in the NBA he is not a GM I’d want to do business with given his track record.. and I’m a diehard Celtics fan.

Ainge will get a large tpe. That is far from nothing.

Warriors just added oubre into theirs.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2020, 03:53:17 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
WOW, this report doesn't shed good light on GH. 

Took the money and ran, rather than playing a reduced role on a winning team like the C's or going home.

Lot's of respect lost today for him.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260546/Celtics-Pacers-Were-Each-Offering-Gordon-Hayward-Four-Year-$100M+-Contracts
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2020, 03:55:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Took the money and ran, rather than playing a reduced role on a winning team like the C's or going home.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260546/Celtics-Pacers-Were-Each-Offering-Gordon-Hayward-Four-Year-$100M+-Contracts

I really wonder what Hayward would have done had Ainge matched the money Charlotte was offering. Ainge absolutely did the right thing not matching it, but I wonder if they money was the same would Hayward still choose Charlotte. Did he really want out of Boston or was it the money?

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2020, 03:58:37 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
yeah. if its just money thats some world class greed

for basketball purposes clearly winning is not a priority

so yeah
good riddance

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The problem with this logic, and what a lot here fail to recognize is, we lost Hayward’s cap space by Ainge not making the trade. Despite how you feel about turner that’s an asset we would have got in return for Hayward instead of nothing.

We still could have signed Thompson, or used that money to sign somebody else. We could have flipped turner for picks or another player.

This is based on a false premise.  Howard was never playing for $75 million - $80 million guaranteed (with other salary non-guaranteed) in Indy when $120 million was on the table.  There was no trade for Danny to make.. It doesn’t matter if Danny had wanted to except Turner and McDermott, because there is absolutely zero indication that Hayward and Indiana had agreed to terms.

More importantly, and as I said before, it’s an extremely bad look for Ainge from a PR standpoint for not letting Hayward go home.

PR hit from whom?  Certainly not players, agents, or fellow owners. They recognize that Hayward did what most free agents deal: he took the best offer.

If Hayward wanted to be in Indiana, he wouldn’t have agreed to take Charlotte’s offer.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:08:14 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I really wonder what Hayward would have done had Ainge matched the money Charlotte was offering. Ainge absolutely did the right thing not matching it, but I wonder if they money was the same would Hayward still choose Charlotte. Did he really want out of Boston or was it the money?

I think the only way Boston keeps him is if they offered him the most money outright. I would guess Gordon was at least lukewarm on staying - he did come back early from injury and missed the birth of his son - that's something. But, it seems Robyn wanted to get out the door asap. Thanking the Cheese Shop and police officers that checked on her each day, but not the franchise, teammates, fans, or city is just a little weird. Her community must have been very small - sometimes you just don't click with a place. It happens.

I am a lot more surprised they didn't choose to go back to Indiana if the money was at least semi-comparable. It was a much better basketball situation and all of their family is there. Not a whole lot you can do, but just wish their family well and hope we can get a TPE out of it.

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

This is based on a false premise.  Howard was never playing for $75 million - $80 million guaranteed (with other salary non-guaranteed) in Indy when $120 million was on the table.  There was no trade for Danny to make.. It doesn’t matter if Danny had wanted to except Turner and McDermott, because there is absolutely zero indication that Hayward and Indiana had agreed to terms.

PR hit from whom?  Certainly not players, agents, or fellow owners. They recognize that Hayward did what most free agents deal: he took the best offer.

If Hayward wanted to be in Indiana, he wouldn’t have agreed to take Charlotte’s offer.
Yeah, it seemed like the deal was never going to happen unless one of Boston and Indiana matched Charlotte on the money, and that wasn't gonna happen.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2020, 04:15:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't know if any sign and trade is going to happen with Charlotte, but it's clear that Ainge blew it by not taking Indiana's sign and trade for Turner and McDermott.

From what (little) we know, Indiana wasn't offering as much money as Charlotte.  Maybe Gordon was willing to go there for less, but it seems that Ainge determined that Turner was not valuable enough.  I think there's good reason to think that he was correct in that assessment.  Indiana wouldn't give up Warren or Oladipo, so they couldn't get a deal done.

We don't know yet if Ainge will get a TPE from Charlotte, but it seems very likely that a TPE could be more useful than Turner and McDermott.

Honestly I'd rather have Tristan Thompson on a 2 year / $19 million deal than Myles Turner for 4 years at $18 million per.

Right now the national narrative is Ainge overplayed his hand, Hayward would have taken the hometown discount for the pacers and Ainge blew it for him. That’s not a good look for Ainge, I’ll tell you this much if I played in the NBA he is not a GM I’d want to do business with given his track record.. and I’m a diehard Celtics fan.
Massive amount of assumptions and other things wrong here.

We didn't lose Hayward's salary slot yet as Ainge is still in negotiations with Charlotte to make a TPE for that slot. With the TPE we could trade a person into that slot at any time this season or next off-season.

In the meantime, as was discussed here before the off-season, Hayward walking means the team's access to the full MLE and the BAE and not just having the taxpayer MLE.

That allowed Ainge to sign Thompson and Teague. If Danny accepted Indy's offer and Hayward agreed to go there(another thing that is wrong about your post, but we will get to that) the Celtics would have had Turner, Mcdermott and the taxpayer MLE. Given Turner's contract and the quality of player Mcdermott is, it's easy to see why people would rather have Thompson and Teague.

If the trade was made, there was no way to get Thompson unless he was willing to sign a two year $10 million deal for the taxpayer MLE, which is really doubtful. He probably gave up some money signing just the regular MLE. I can't see him giving up another $9 million to sign here.

The entire national narrative is just that, a narrative. It's most likely not what happened. What people aren't considering is it takes Hayward to agree to a contract, as well as two teams agreeing to a trade. Reports are three teams had 4 years $100 million on the table for Hayward: the C's, Pacers and Hornets with most likely different down side guarantees.

While Ainge and Pritchard were negotiating a sign and trade Charlotte then upped the ante and went to 4 years $120 million, all guaranteed. When neither Boston or Indy said they would match, and this is important, Hayward took the money and large role and went to Charlotte, a place everyone knows he likes because he had already agreed to go there years ago as a restricted free agent but Utah matched.

The narrative that Ainge screwed his team is pretty silly, really. Ainge knew all the scenarios that could have played out this season and that where Hayward ended up was really all up to Hayward, in the end, so Danny came up with solutions for every scenario.

That Hayward could leave and the team could end up with Thompson, Teague and a large TPE while getting under the tax to reset the repeater tax, is an excellent lemonade given the lemons he was given. That the Celtics got under the tax is a massive positive for this team going forward and something people aren't talking enough about. People should take this into consideration when looking at judging this off-season.

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2020, 04:29:53 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Danny's limits were pretty clear all along.  He could only afford to sign Hayward at a maximum of around ~24-ish Million per or he wouldn't be able to do all his desired moves (in particular using the MLE) and stay under the tax (important to push off the repeater).

So 100/4 was probably pretty clearly Boston's upper limit and obvious to Bartelstein from day one.

Indy is famously stingy and probably was only going to offer enough to compete with BOS and hope Hayward would choose them for 'hometown' reasons.   I doubt they would be comfortable going much higher.

So I would be absolutely shocked if Bartelstein wasn't on the phones from the moment the FA negotiating period opened, looking for other teams to make a higher offer.

He did his job and got his client a nice fat check.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2020, 04:39:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

I think the only way Boston keeps him is if they offered him the most money outright. I would guess Gordon was at least lukewarm on staying - he did come back early from injury and missed the birth of his son - that's something. But, it seems Robyn wanted to get out the door asap. Thanking the Cheese Shop and police officers that checked on her each day, but not the franchise, teammates, fans, or city is just a little weird. Her community must have been very small - sometimes you just don't click with a place. It happens.
We really have zero indication about what Gordon's (or his wife's) feelings are from this. 

All we know is that Danny most certainly did NOT offer the most money outright and almost certainly would not have come close.   Boston's situation with regard to the luxury tax made finishing all the moves under the tax threshold very important because otherwise each dollar they paid Hayward that pushed them above the threshold would cost them more both in tax this year and also in repeater penalties in 2024.

My estimate is that the most Danny could have offered Gordon and still done his other moves (i.e., using the full MLE) is about ~24M per.    Far, far short of CHA's offer.
I am a lot more surprised they didn't choose to go back to Indiana if the money was at least semi-comparable. It was a much better basketball situation and all of their family is there. Not a whole lot you can do, but just wish their family well and hope we can get a TPE out of it.

And again, the only thing you can take away is that the offer from IND was almost certainly not comparable.

It would be great to at least create a TPE out of it.   Then Danny can be a player in the trade market, if not now, then near the deadline.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2020, 04:43:47 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Yeah, it seemed like the deal was never going to happen unless one of Boston and Indiana matched Charlotte on the money, and that wasn't gonna happen.

Roy is spot on.   All these rumors that Danny was somehow 'holding up the deal' are silly, made up crap or leaks pushed out by people with agendas.

A sign & trade starts first and foremost with a player and the team he wants to go to agreeing on a price.    Unless that happens there is no deal for his Bird-Rights team to even facilitate.

And it is clear now that Hayward and Indy never agreed on a price.

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2020, 04:55:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
hayward to Charlotte

Rozier to NYK

Knox and TPE to Boston

Graham
Monk
Hayward
Washington
Zeller

Rozier
Barrett
Burks
Toppin
Robinson
Knox ? The Knicks, of all teams, benched him. Now why would Boston want him ?

He's an undervalued asset.  Manageable contract.  Great size.  Improved 3 point range.  I think he needs to get out of NYC.
This is a wildly incorrect assessment of Kevin Knox. He's 6'7" and 215lbs, went from a 34% 3pt shooting rookie on 5 attempts a game to a 33% 3pt shooting sophomore on 3 attempts a game, and also shot worse from the field (36%) and the free throw line (65%).

Knox is worse than Ojeleye.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
hayward to Charlotte

Rozier to NYK

Knox and TPE to Boston

Graham
Monk
Hayward
Washington
Zeller

Rozier
Barrett
Burks
Toppin
Robinson

He's an undervalued asset.  Manageable contract.  Great size.  Improved 3 point range.  I think he needs to get out of NYC.
This is a wildly incorrect assessment of Kevin Knox. He's 6'7" and 215lbs, went from a 34% 3pt shooting rookie on 5 attempts a game to a 33% 3pt shooting sophomore on 3 attempts a game, and also shot worse from the field (36%) and the free throw line (65%).

Wow!!! You have to be really, really awful to be worse than Ojeleye  :)

Semi looks like they grabbed an athletic guy who never saw a basketball in his life  and threw him out there for only his strength and speed.

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2020, 05:15:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
hayward to Charlotte

Rozier to NYK

Knox and TPE to Boston

Graham
Monk
Hayward
Washington
Zeller

Rozier
Barrett
Burks
Toppin
Robinson

Wow!!! You have to be really, really awful to be worse than Ojeleye  :)

Semi looks like they grabbed an athletic guy who never saw a basketball in his life  and threw him out there for only his strength and speed.
As bad as Ojeleye is on offence, Knox is worse on defence. And equally bad on offence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2020, 05:59:00 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82

That the Celtics got under the tax is a massive positive for this team going forward and something people aren't talking enough about. People should take this into consideration when looking at judging this off-season.

Excellent point here. Well done.