Author Topic: now we can mock draft, at least  (Read 13297 times)

Re: now we can mock draft, at least
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
You guys are mistaken. New Orleans doesn't have 9. Charlotte does.

Did the new Hornets inherit the old Hornets history like the Cleveland Browns did?  It's a concept that makes no sense to me.  The NFL talks about the Ravens as though it is only a 15 year old team.  Does that mean if I change my name, my history is wiped clean?

This is off topic, of course, but I think that the relevant history belongs to the fans.   There are not a lot of fans of the Ravens who ever rooted for those old Browns teams, whereas there are a ton of Cleveland fans rooting for the current Browns who also rooted for the old Browns.   A lot of Baltimore fans still seeth with hate that Irsay stole the Colts and would not leave the franchise name.

As a former Seattle Sonics fan, I get ticked off royal when articles reference the OKC Thunder's "lone championship in '79".   Grrr...

There aren't many modern La Laker fans who rooted for the original Minneapolis Lakers' 5 championships (most would have no idea who George Mikan was).   And probably not many people in Minneapolis who have rooted for the next 11 that they won in LA.

There are, of course, thousands of Celtic fans who have rooted for every single one of our 17 titles.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2014, 12:02:41 AM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
1. Cleveland - Andrew Wiggins The last thing Cleveland needs is to have another top overall pick bust, especially after the year they just had. I think they view Wiggins as the safest pick here (They need a defensive interior presence but I think Embiid's back issues will eventually scare them off). Wiggins is no LeBron in the passing and handles department but luckily he'll have Kyrie for that.

2. Milwaukee - Jabari Parker There's no doubting Jabari Parker can be a 20 plus a game scorer in the NBA. The only reason he isn't going #1 is his defense, but if he ends up with the Bucks maybe Henson and Sanders can show him a thing or two. For the first time in a long time, things are looking up for the Bucks. Lots of good young assets.

3. Philadelphia - Joel Embiid If Embiid is the pick here, which I anticipate he will be, Danny needs to get on the horn with the sixers, as quick as humanly possible, to offer anything but Rondo for Noel, because I can't see the Sixers keeping both of those guys. I could also see Philly trading this pick.

4. Orlando - Dante Exum  This is the obvious choice here for the Magic. They've been after a point guard for a while. Oladipo seems to be more of a SG, but those two together will make a menacing backcourt if Exum turns out to be the player I think he will.

5. Utah - Julius Randle I know a lot of people on this board hope the C's don't draft Randle (understandable considering the copious amount of PF's on the roster), but the truth is I'd be over joyed if he fell to us based on talent alone. Unfortunately, I don't think the Jazz pass him up. Randle/Favors/Kanter/Gobert could potentially be the best frontcourt in the NBA a little ways down the road.

6. Boston - Marcus Smart Celtics will take the best player available with both of their picks regardless of position (That is if they keep them). With Rondo getting up there in age and Avery Bradley possibly signing elsewhere, Smart is the obvious choice here.

7. L.A. Lakers - Noah Vonleh It's a shame that it's just a reflex for me to root against any player who puts on a Lakers uniform, because I really like Vonleh. Best case scenario for the Lakers here is they're getting Lamar Odom 2.0 with better interior defense skills. That's some good upside.

8. Sacramento - Doug McDermott I don't see Sacramento keeping this pick. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they traded down for Tyler Ennis, or traded out completely. But if I were them, McDermott is the guy I take here. Any team drafting McBuckets is getting a guaranteed 40% career 3 point shooter, and god knows Sacramento could use that.

9. Charlotte - Jusuf Nurkic With Charlotte now a legitimate playoff team, MJ needs to start nailing these draft picks if they're going to remain relevant. Drafting Nurkic, who has been compared to DeMarcus Cousins, would be a step in the right direction.

10. Philadelphia - Aaron Gordon This is just a no brainer. Gordon is the best player available and the Sixers have Hollis Thompson currently play the 3. Obvious upgrade.

11. Denver - Gary Harris Harris didn't exactly measure up at the combine, but regardless of where he ends up, he's proven to be a dynamic player on each side of the ball in one of the toughest conferences in the country. I think he'll surprise a lot of people in the NBA.

12. Orlando - Dario Saric No way this is Fran Vasquez 2.0 for the Magic. Saric is too talented and has two good a feel for the game to end up a bust IMO. The Magic make out like Bandits if they end up with him and Exum , like I project.

13. Minnesota - Zach LaVine Minnesota is probably on the verge of rebuilding...again. They go for player with most upside here. Not only does LaVine show some shades of Westbrook in his game, but had he stayed in College for his sophomore year, I think he ends up at least a top 10 pick next year.

14. Phoenix - T.J. Warren Warren is being severely overlooked in my opinion. He's a 20 year old kid who just put up 25 PPG in the ACC. He'll fit right in for Phoenix, who is a team notorious for putting points on the board.

15. Atlanta - James Young Depth on the wing is an obvious need for the Hawks. Young didn't have as stellar of a freshman season as scouts had hoped, but he's still clearly a lottery caliber player given his size, athleticism and shooting touch. Still needs to improve defensively. Could greatly benefit from playing with Jeff Teague.

16. Chicago - Tyler Ennis Best player available. Was arguably the most poised freshman in college ball this past year. Great on ball and off ball defender, and never seems to try to do too much offensively. Sounds like a Tom Thibodeau favorite to me.

17. Boston - Nik Stauskas Stauskas has proven to not only be a phenomenal shooter (Which the Celts could desperately use) but a surprisingly good play maker. Stauskas and Smart would compliment each other real nicely.

18. Phoenix - Clint Capela Capela is a really intriguing defensive prospect. I know it seems like defense is a four letter word in phoenix ever since the Steve Nash era, but Capela could be the guy to change that. He probably won't play in the NBA right away, but it's a really good draft and stash pick for Phoenix if you ask me.

19. Chicago - Rodney Hood It's going to be between Adreian Payne and Hood here. Although Chicago could really use the size, getting Hood, who was projected as a top 10 pick earlier in the year, at 19, would be a steal for them.

20. Toronto - Kyle Anderson - Andersons limitations as an athlete have been well documented, but there's no denying there is major potential there. Anderson is a triple double waiting to happen. He's got really nice passing skills for a guy 6"8, The Raps could use those skills considering they may lose Kyle Lowry in free agency.

21. Oklahoma City - Adreian Payne After watching these playoffs, I'm realizing the Thunder need someone who can knock down a jump shot down the stretch other than KD,RW,SI. Payne is arguably the best offensive player on the board, and is no slouch defensively either.

22. Memphis - Jerami Grant Grant, like his team mate, Ennis, could have greatly benefited from another year at Syracuse. He's still raw, but was outstanding defensively for the Orange this past season. Memphis is a team that prides themselves on defense, could be a great fit.

23. Utah - K.J. McDaniel's Was the fastest player at the combine. Factor that in with being one of the best defensive players in the draft, and you've got a steal at the 23rd pick.

24. Charlotte - Jordan Adams Lots of talent coming out of UCLA this year. Adams probably would have gone a bit higher if UCLA wasn't so loaded. Could fit in nicely in the Charlotte backcourt due to his natural scoring ability and willingness as a passer. Having the name Jordan probably gives him more appeal to MJ. That guys an ego maniac.

25. Houston - Elfrid Payton Houston has no real long term solution at point guard. And while Payton isn't exactly a pass first point guard, he has excellent size, can knock down J's and is a better rebounder than he's given credit for. This would be a good pick for them.

26. Miami - P.J. Hairston Miami has like 4 players under contract for next season, they just need some bodies. They'll go best player available.

27. Phoenix - Shabazz Napier There's always one guy each year who goes higher than he should because of tournament performance. Napier is that guy this year. Phoenix may lose Bledsoe in Free Agency so they're going to need some backcourt depth. Napier is no Bledsoe athletically speaking, but is an assassin from behind the arc.

28. LA Clippers - Mitch McGary McGary could end up being this years Steven Adams. He's not offensively stellar by any means but will be a factor due to his chippiness and willingness to scrap alone. Doc loves that.

29. Oklahoma City - Kristaps Porzingis Man, it seems like the Thunder have at least 2 picks in the first round each year. They can afford to draft and stash here.

30. San Antonio - Bogdan Bogdanovic I don't know, there's not really much logic behind this one. It's just that the Spurs always seem to draft foreigners. What do you want from me? I'm tired I just did 30 of these.

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2014, 03:41:28 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

6. Boston - Marcus Smart Celtics will take the best player available with both of their picks regardless of position (That is if they keep them). With Rondo getting up there in age and Avery Bradley possibly signing elsewhere, Smart is the obvious choice here.

17. Boston - Nik Stauskas Stauskas has proven to not only be a phenomenal shooter (Which the Celts could desperately use) but a surprisingly good play maker. Stauskas and Smart would compliment each other real nicely.

I disagree with your choices, but I'm a big fan of your prose and your effort. Tommy point!

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My third ver

1. Cavs -Embiid
2. Bucks - Parker
3. 76ers - Wiggins
4. Magic - Randle
5. Jazz - Gordon
6. Celtics - Exum
7. Lakers - Saric
8. Kings - Smart
9. Hornets -  Vonleh
10. 76ers - Lavine

17. Porzingiz

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 09:21:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
my 4th ver

1.  Cavs:  Wiggins (traded to 76ers)  - Thad  Young and #3 for #1 and 33rd pick
2.  Bucks: Exum - The pg they need
3.  76ers:  Embiid (traded to Cavs) - They get the guy they wanted anyways plus young. 
4.  Magic:  Parker (traded to Jazz) - 5th and 23rd pick for 4th and 39th pick
5.  Jazz:  Randle (traded to Magic)
6.  Celtics: Gordon
7.  Lakers:  Smart
8.  Kings: Vonleh
9.  Hornets:  Mcdermott
10. 76ers:  Lavine

17. Celtics: Hairston

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
my 5th ver

1.  Cavs:  Parker
2.  Bucks: Wiggins
3.  76ers:  Vonleh
4.  Magic:  Smart
5.  Jazz:  Exum
6.  Celtics: Gordon
7.  Lakers: Randle
8.  Kings:  Payton
9.  Hornets: Embiid
10. 76ers:  Lavine

17. Celtics: Napier
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 06:03:33 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2014, 11:12:08 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Here is my mock for my blog. My friend and I give our opinions on each pick. Let me know what you think
http://www.thepickandpop.com/2014/06/26/final-nba-mock-draft-head-to-head/
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2014, 08:46:54 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Not a single celticsblogger predicted the James Young pick! No tommy points for any of you.

I expect you to bring your A games next year!  :P