Poll

Do you select Embiid or Smart?

Joel Embiid
19 (46.3%)
Marcus Smart
22 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: With the 5th pick in the draft...  (Read 13253 times)

Re: With the 5th pick in the draft...
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I'd go with Embiid as well. Much easier to find quality guards than it is quality big men.

Embiid is a superb athlete - truly 7 feet tall - has all of the skills needed to be a great rim protector and rebounder - can shoot with range - can hit free throws - has good touch around the rim with post moves - admitted that he loves to pass - and is currently shooting almost 70% from the field this NCAA season!

The Cs need to find the right big man to supplement Sullinger and Olynyk. Embiid can bring the defense and rim protection (provided he can improve) as well as the face-up offensive game to mesh with Rondo's style.

Smart is the safer pick, but Embiid could potentially pay off in a big way. I'm sure the Cs will have another chance at a 6'4" combo guard sooner than a 7-footer like this.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'd go with Embiid as well. Much easier to find quality guards than it is quality big men.

Embiid is a superb athlete - truly 7 feet tall - has all of the skills needed to be a great rim protector and rebounder - can shoot with range - can hit free throws - has good touch around the rim with post moves - admitted that he loves to pass - and is currently shooting almost 70% from the field this NCAA season!

The Cs need to find the right big man to supplement Sullinger and Olynyk. Embiid can bring the defense and rim protection (provided he can improve) as well as the face-up offensive game to mesh with Rondo's style.

Smart is the safer pick, but Embiid could potentially pay off in a big way. I'm sure the Cs will have another chance at a 6'4" combo guard sooner than a 7-footer like this.

I haven't heard much of Embiid, nor do I follow college ball as much as you guys?

How is he performing so far - vs the likes of Andre Drummond in his college days.

And I think the question is - who has the potential to become a super star - Smart or Embiid?

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 04:23:13 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19

I haven't heard much of Embiid, nor do I follow college ball as much as you guys?

How is he performing so far - vs the likes of Andre Drummond in his college days.

And I think the question is - who has the potential to become a super star - Smart or Embiid?

Embiid has the potential to be a superstar he's drawing comparisons to Hakeem. Smart is the safer pick but he has a nice potential as two way player.

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
With our pick from the Nets which would most likely be in the 16-22 area, we should consider James Young. He's a guy that has surprised me so far. Can score with ease and has good size for a guard.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Embiid has the potential to be a superstar he's drawing comparisons to Hakeem. Smart is the safer pick but he has a nice potential as two way player.

Hakeem?????? Really?!?!?!?!?! Already a comparison to a HOF??? Wow, I think I need to watch Kansas a little bit more this season to actually decide that...

From what I've seen in the box scores, this guy needs more touch cuz he's an efficient scorer and a pretty good rebounder.

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Sorry but what is with the big fuzz about this Embiid kid? I havent seen him play yet, but his stats doesnt seem to impress me pretty much. He only has an avg of 9 points in his first three games, which to me isnt impressive for a guy who yall want to pick with the 5th pick :/ This team needs a go to scorer if you ask me.
Dont get me wrong, the NCAA season is long, but im not all that impressed with Embiid (Stat-wise of course ;D) as some of yall seem to be
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Smart is the best defensive player in the draft.  Could easily be on that NBA 2nd all defensive team with Avery Bradley & that's just after his first year.  Sky's the limit.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 04:40:17 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Drummond 2011-12 Freshman Stats: 10PPG/7.6RPG/2.7BPG with 53% FG and 29.5% FT

Embiid 2013-14 (3 games): 9PPG/8RPG/1.7APG/1BPG with 69% FG and 56% FT

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
And I should add ...

Drummond averaged 28 minutes per game and Embiid is averaging 18 minutes per game.

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19

Hakeem?????? Really?!?!?!?!?! Already a comparison to a HOF??? Wow, I think I need to watch Kansas a little bit more this season to actually decide that...

From what I've seen in the box scores, this guy needs more touch cuz he's an efficient scorer and a pretty good rebounder.

The Hakeem comparisons are a bit too much but he has the tools to be a dominant center.

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »

Offline Walter Moss

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Embiid best game so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1lgI-8np7w

And Smart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxXictCDDqA

If Embiid could develope his game and show the same quality - he's no brainer.

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 04:53:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Trade the pick.  Although I am not expecting those top 4 to actually go top 4.  I think someone GM is going to talk themselves into Embiid's upside, or decide that Smart is Wade 2.0, and take them higher, letting someone else slide.

What kind of package do you think the Celtics get for a number 5 pick in this draft?

Right now I would find it really hard to walk away from these two players. I like both of them a lot, and could see them making a big impact on the team - on of them sooner than later.

And I agree that there are always sliders. Paul Pierce slid all the way to 10 when he was supposed to be a no brainer in the top 5 of his draft after all!

Tough to say who would be available, but I am thinking if they decided they wanted to win now, rather than roll the dice on more of a project.  Maybe, for example, Marc Gasol becomes available.  Or Al Horford.  Someone of that caliber. 

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
GET READY!!!!

He's not only 7 foot, but he's a LEGIT 7 foot!

He has an NBA wingspan! He looks the part of an NBA center!

He has an amazing combination of size and coordination!

He can really run the floor!

He's only been playing basketball for three years! You should be way more impressed than concerned!

We have to draft Joel Embiid. Players with scouting reports like this are once in a generation.

hasheem thabeet?
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 05:05:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Embiid best game so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1lgI-8np7w

And Smart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxXictCDDqA

If Embiid could develope his game and show the same quality - he's no brainer.
Thanks for the video.

a 7 footer who is 240 and could probably pack on another 20-30 pounds of muscle before all is said and done? A seven foot center who can execute a euro step on the way to the hoop? A seven footer with a smooth release? Sign me up.

My only concerns with him are he seems to be a finesse type center (granted that opinion was formed in the game against Duke) and is he really 19 years old? He looks older than 19.

I love smart but I think Embiid has more of a chance to be great.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 05:06:02 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
GET READY!!!!

He's not only 7 foot, but he's a LEGIT 7 foot!

He has an NBA wingspan! He looks the part of an NBA center!

He has an amazing combination of size and coordination!

He can really run the floor!

He's only been playing basketball for three years! You should be way more impressed than concerned!

We have to draft Joel Embiid. Players with scouting reports like this are once in a generation.

hasheem thabeet?
Watch the highlight that Walter posted where Embiid eurosteps and shows off a smooth stroke from the free throw line and you won't compare him to thabeet.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19