Poll

Do you select Embiid or Smart?

Joel Embiid
19 (46.3%)
Marcus Smart
22 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: With the 5th pick in the draft...  (Read 13254 times)

With the 5th pick in the draft...
« on: November 21, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
With the consensus top 4 (Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Exum) off the board, who would you like Boston to pick, if they land in the number 5 slot?

The upside and size of Joel Embiid?

He has the biggest risk as a bust out of the high lottery guys, due to being raw. His agility and size as a legit center are super intriguing though.

Or the mature ready for the NBA 2 way game of Marcus Smart?
He looks like he has some Deron Williams / Harden / Wade to his game. If you take him, can you play him at SG next to Rondo, or do you have to move Rondo?

If you like somebody else at number 5, list him.

Re: With the 5th pick in the draft...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Marcus Smart.

I think he'd be fine playing next to Rondo and would certainly prefer it over Avery. 

A Rondo/Smart backcourt would be extremely entertaining.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:26:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Just what we need, another combo guard. I think Smart will contribute immediately but the big man has the higher ceiling.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:27:58 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
While I haven't looked closely enough to know who I'd take, I do agree that the Wiggins/Parker/Randle trio is a pipe dream.

I expect the C's to be picking somewhere in the 5-8 range.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Emblid. The kid looks legit. You gotta go with potential on this one and Joel Emblid probably has the most upside than anyone in the draft besides Wiggins. He could easily end up being the best player from this draft class.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Trade the pick.  Although I am not expecting those top 4 to actually go top 4.  I think someone GM is going to talk themselves into Embiid's upside, or decide that Smart is Wade 2.0, and take them higher, letting someone else slide. 

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 03:41:11 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I really like Embiid and was impress with how he played against Duke but my vote has to go to smart.

I have no doubts that Smart is at the least a solid starter for many years in the NBA. He is also a high intangible type player who is highly reguarded for his leadership and work ethic.

Embiid is the classic "super project" he has ridiculous potential but he could also easily be a bust. For every Serge Ibaka there are 5 Sener Senes and while rebuilding I don't think the Cs need to take such risks. Now this opinion could change 3 games into this season he is averaging 19min 9pts 8rb and 1 blk. If come march he is averaging a double double and 3 blks i might change my mind.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

With the 5th pick in the draft...
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 03:43:06 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
GET READY!!!!

He's not only 7 foot, but he's a LEGIT 7 foot!

He has an NBA wingspan! He looks the part of an NBA center!

He has an amazing combination of size and coordination!

He can really run the floor!

He's only been playing basketball for three years! You should be way more impressed than concerned!

We have to draft Joel Embiid. Players with scouting reports like this are once in a generation.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Trade the pick.  Although I am not expecting those top 4 to actually go top 4.  I think someone GM is going to talk themselves into Embiid's upside, or decide that Smart is Wade 2.0, and take them higher, letting someone else slide.

What kind of package do you think the Celtics get for a number 5 pick in this draft?

Right now I would find it really hard to walk away from these two players. I like both of them a lot, and could see them making a big impact on the team - on of them sooner than later.

And I agree that there are always sliders. Paul Pierce slid all the way to 10 when he was supposed to be a no brainer in the top 5 of his draft after all!

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
GET READY!!!!

He's only been playing basketball for three years! You should be way more impressed than concerned!

We have to draft Joel Embiid. Players with scouting reports like this are once in a generation.

He looks awesome - like a young Bynum, Drummond, Cousins type of player so far. And that is not bad at all!

But I worry that he doesn't have the killer instincts needed to be a star center. With his height, and athleticism he should be a beast about protecting the rim.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I don't really like the idea of trading the pick.  The pick + Pierce's trade exception could get us someone nice, but really if we use the trade exception, we're going to need the cheap labor more than anything.  I would leave the pick out of any deals. 

I think I would go Embiid, though.  He's like four inches taller than every other legit prospect in this draft and is just as athletic as the 3s.  He has great work ethic and would probably do well in the locker room.  And no, he's not like Sene.  He is playing in college in a top notch program in one of the most competitive seasons in a long time.    I think Marcus Smart would be a great consolation prize and would do great with Rondo, but Embiid has to be the pick.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
GET READY!!!!

Is this Jay Bilas?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 03:56:56 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
you gotta take Marcus Smart. He is a scoring machine. If we don't get the top 4 pick and lucked out with 5, you gotta take Wade 2.0.

This guy is athletic, quick, and strong

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree with others -- have to take Marcus Smart.  Of the remaining guys, he has the best chance of being a star.  He could be a Wade, Westbrook, or Harden type player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Rodney Hood looks like the player to pick.  If it wasn't for the fact he is playing along side of Parker, he'd probably be getting a lot more attention.  I'd venture to guess he might very well be the 3rd best player that will come out of this draft, behind Parker and Wiggins.