Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113824 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #390 on: March 08, 2019, 11:44:27 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Wasn't Rubio hyped alot too?
How does he do on shooting, rebounding, and defense?

Marcus Smart woulda stolen that ball and Bradley woulda never let him get that far
He's just a swiss army knife, solid at everything. I guess he'll be a rich man's Gallinari who could also handle the ball but I really don't think he'll be anything close to what people are hyping him up to be like Penny Hardaway (that's way off base)
::) guys are comparing him to Penny Hardaway...a guy on the level of the what if guys (he would've been in the conversation for GOAT SGs if he wasn't plagued by injuries) to a guy who's contributing normal stats in Europe at a very young age (very impressive by itself but are we really comparing the two? I think it's an insult to Anfernee Hardaway, who made an all nba team in his rookie season while Doncic most likely wouldn't even be in the conversation for a spot).

I'm glad this thread was revived to see some of the interesting takes.

It feels good to be so right ;D
One of those rare "love at first sight" players.
I am happy to see him entertaining everyone and doing so well.
Truly. As soon as I saw him play when he was 16-17 I knew he was going to be something special. He simply has "it"
Haha yeah the Gallinari comparison now looks silly, I'll take that L.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #391 on: March 13, 2019, 04:59:09 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Doncic apparently said in interview he isn’t quite 100% (left knee strain) but wants to play every game anyways  :o or something along those lines

Kings passed on drafting Doncic because Divac hated Lukas dad
« Reply #392 on: November 25, 2019, 03:48:20 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Vlade Divac passed up on drafting Luka Doncic in the 2018 draft partly because he didn't think highly of Doncic's father, according to Tim MacMahon of ESPN.

MacMahon relayed the story in a recent episode of Adrian Wojnarowski's podcast discussing the evolution of Doncic.

The discussion turned to how the Kings and Suns both passed up the opportunity to draft Doncic despite having people close to the player at the time. MacMahon said that Divac's closeness with Doncic's dad went against the player.

“My understanding is that [Divac] being so close to Luka and knowing his dad so well factored into their decision. Basically, he didn’t think a whole lot of Luka’s dad, and the whole like father like son … well … no, this is a different dude. You messed that one up, Vlade," said MacMahon.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/11/24/rumor-kings-passed-on-luka-doncic-in-draft-because-vlade-divac-doesnt-like-docics-dad/

Re: Kings passed on drafting Doncic because Divac hated Lukas dad
« Reply #393 on: November 25, 2019, 03:58:27 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Judging a player's ability wrong is something that can happen. It's not easy to evaluate and predict the development of a 19 year old.

But this is beyond stupid!

« Reply #394 on: November 25, 2019, 04:29:35 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The baffling Kings took Bagley over Luka
Halleluka, hallelu-u-u-u-ka! 8)

The Kings are a joke of a franchise. Vlade also drafted Fox because foxes are smart and he thought he was an actual fox. :P

Btw, any news on the Game of Zones front? Is it gonna continue now that the Game of Thrones is over? I loved that show!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:34:45 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #395 on: November 25, 2019, 05:02:30 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Even though Dončić is averaging 30-10-10, numbers often don't tell the whole story.
Do you think he will eventually adjust to the NBA game?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #396 on: November 25, 2019, 05:24:37 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
In credit to Vlade - Fox is the Real Deal...dude even reportedly has KG as one of his heroes.

SAC is a bit more competitive this season, so far.

BUT - Vlade STILL gets my Red Fox treatment on THIS one if its true.

« Reply #397 on: November 25, 2019, 05:26:22 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Even though Dončić is averaging 30-10-10, numbers often don't tell the whole story.

If Luka Doncic adjusts ANY FURTHER to the NBA game folks are going to start naming their first borns after him.

« Reply #398 on: November 25, 2019, 05:39:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He gets ridiculous "star calls" already and this inflates his numbers somewhat.

« Reply #399 on: November 25, 2019, 05:53:54 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

If Luka Doncic adjusts ANY FURTHER to the NBA game folks are going to start naming their firstborns after him.
:) They might even start naming nuclear powerplants after him.

@Celtics4ever
He does get the calls, but truth be told guys just can't stop him.
Best players of today (Giannis, Harden, LBJ...) are always the hardest to officiate.

« Reply #400 on: November 25, 2019, 06:21:08 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Suns were even dumber.
Kings at least had their ballhandler of the future (Fox).
Suns "had" no one.

« Reply #401 on: November 25, 2019, 07:15:59 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
In credit to Vlade - Fox is the Real Deal...dude even reportedly has KG as one of his heroes.

I guess it depends on what you mean when you say he's ''the Real Deal''. I mean, he's obviously a talented player, but he's nothing special.

I see Fox as a poor man's John Wall (prior to the injury). Wall was super explosive (just like Fox), but he's a bit taller and he's a better court general as well. They are both average shooters.

At the end of the day, neither Fox nor Wall has what it takes to be the go-to guy in a championship team.

« Reply #402 on: November 25, 2019, 07:27:26 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

If Luka Doncic adjusts ANY FURTHER to the NBA game folks are going to start naming their firstborns after him.
:) They might even start naming nuclear powerplants after him.

@Celtics4ever
He does get the calls, but truth be told guys just can't stop him.
Best players of today (Giannis, Harden, LBJ...) are always the hardest to officiate.

They CAN'T stop him...and I disagree with the officiating - Luka is just "THAT" good...I've watched too many of his games so far.

I puff my chest out as a Celtics Fan because we've actually BEATEN DAL - but even THEN Luka had a good game against us.

Credit Marcus Smart for taking Kristaps completely out of his game.

The scary thing with Luka is that he is actually TRYING on defense, now...he WILL get better on this end....he will continue to get stronger with NBA conditioning.....

Will he get 3x 2nd Team all-defense (Larry Bird)? Don't know...but I won't rule it out for him.

This IS Luka's Time...he is catching LeBron James, Durant - at the END of their careers - but yet he will STILL be able to COMPETE against them right NOW to gauge his growth.

YES - I "AM" A Luka Fan.

The crazy thing is that I am ALSO happy for Rick Carlysle - our FORMER Celtic is - I am sure - telling him about a Hick from French Lick that he played with..........

« Reply #403 on: November 25, 2019, 07:31:03 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'm thinking we change the site name to "Luka Strong".  I mean, he is pretty dreamy and all.
Yup

« Reply #404 on: November 25, 2019, 07:32:07 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I guess it depends on what you mean when you say he's ''the Real Deal''. I mean, he's obviously a talented player, but he's nothing special.

I see Fox as a poor man's John Wall (prior to the injury). Wall was super explosive (just like Fox), but he's a bit taller and he's a better court general as well. They are both average shooters.

At the end of the day, neither Fox nor Wall has what it takes to be the go-to guy in a championship team.

Oh, don't get me wrong - when I say Fox is the Real Deal, that means Luka is the REAL DEAL.

Luka is shaping up to be a Generational Talent...one of those Unicorns.