Author Topic: Celtics (1-0) at Knicks (0-0) Preseason Game #2 10/9/23  (Read 11851 times)

Re: Celtics (1-0) at Knicks (0-0) Preseason Game #2 10/9/23
« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2023, 11:57:21 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I am not seeing it with Hauser. If he can't make 3s there is no point in playing him. He does not look for his shot anywhere else.

Just a bad start.  He’ll hit his threes.

« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2023, 12:48:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I am not seeing it with Hauser. If he can't make 3s there is no point in playing him. He does not look for his shot anywhere else.

Yep.  He hasn't shot below 40% at any level since at least junior year of high school.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2023, 01:14:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Yep.  He hasn't shot below 40% at any level since at least junior year of high school.

I'm less concerned about his shooting, or even his defense, which is decent, but his inability to much anything else on offense. He just kind of stands around in the perimeter.  Doesn't seem to shoot the 3 off the dribble very well.  Wonder what the stats are on that. Most of  his makes seem catch and shoot.

« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2023, 01:56:14 PM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14

I'm less concerned about his shooting, or even his defense, which is decent, but his inability to much anything else on offense. He just kind of stands around in the perimeter.  Doesn't seem to shoot the 3 off the dribble very well.  Wonder what the stats are on that. Most of  his makes seem catch and shoot.

I think he fits more as a complimentary piece for the starters rather than a more focal point of a deep bench unit. Although I wish he was more of a movement shooter than a stationary one, in a JJ Reddick or Ray mold. We lack this kind of player and I belive our offense would benefit greatly from this kind of addition. Maybe Svi can be that guy?

« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2023, 02:08:28 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC

This was my feeling. I would like to see him develop something other than always a three. Go to the rim, mid range...anything. He can't wait to move the ball if it isn't for a spot up 3.

« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2023, 02:23:03 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

Svi's offense was better than advertised and his defense was worse than advertised to me.  Well-rounded offensive game, not just a spot-up shooter, can attack a closeout and make a pass off of the bounce.  Cone on defense though.  I think Hauser will shake out as the better option for us since he can carry his own water defensively.  But Svi can play. 

This was noted (at least by me) when we acquired him.  All the same attributes you ascribe, so it wasn't that much of a surprise.

I called his offensive style (not abilities, but style) a Poor Man's Gordon Heyward.  Not just a three-point shooter, but a slasher, a drive-and-kick, and a guy with some nice handles who can work off of a pick.

So that Roy doesn't blow a gasket, we'll call him a Poor, Poor, Bankrupt Man's Gordon Hayward.

Defense?  Yeah, not so much.

« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2023, 03:05:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

This was my feeling. I would like to see him develop something other than always a three. Go to the rim, mid range...anything. He can't wait to move the ball if it isn't for a spot up 3.

Eh.  It got Grant Williams paid, right?  Grant sometimes tried to dribble to the basket, but that was always a questionable decision.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 03:10:50 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2023, 09:36:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

i posted those numbers some months ago, so i do not recall them exactly....but they sucked. he is clearly not good right now (ever?) shooting off a dribble.

as for standing around, that is probably since he follows the game plan given to him....stand around, catch and shoot 3 pointers. i dont blame him for that.

i think hauser is a decent #8 or #9 player in the rotation.

as for the rest of the bench, as expected they all have flaws, but i think over the course of a season it will be helpful to have waves of tall, athletic players coming off the bench.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2023, 08:35:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

We coul trade him to the Heat where he would ascend to 6 man of the year.  :)

« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2023, 09:02:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Sam Hauser lacks agility. He's an ok defender because he has learned to stay in front of his man, but that's not enough. He appears to be a standing shooter for the same reason, just lack of agility. Frankly, I don't think that is ever going to change. This is his plateau.

With Stevens, Brissett, Myhailiuk and even Banton, plus Horford coming off the bench, I would say Hauser has a lot of competition this season to keep the "backup big wing" spot.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 09:09:41 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2023, 10:39:50 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
It's not fair to judge guys when they're playing out of their normal roles, but reading the game thread there's a general consensus that:

* all of our bigs sucked;
* Banton was solid;
* Pritchard was the best player on the floor

Does that sound right?  I didn't see the game. 

I was surprised to see Banton jack up 17 shots.  That sounds like a guy trying to put up numbers to secure his roster spot.  Were his shots forced, or within the flow of the offense?  How was his defense?  Passing?

Svi and Stevens looked okay?

Other than his poor effort from outside, how was Brissett?  Hauser?

I wonder if Banton is a guy who will look better in a game like this where he is allowed more freedom to attack off the dribble than in a game alongside the star talent where he has to take more of a back-seat and play more off ball.

If we are getting a bit of a false image based on last night's game due to the altered role.

That’s a great question. Not out of any selfishness , but some guys need the ball and green light with reps and bigger responsibility to get comfortable and shine. So I’m really intrigued by Banton. He used his length and looked comfortable handling and looked very smooth. I think he may be very talented. It’s just that shot. Can teams not guard him like Ben Simmons? I wonder if that is that level of liability. But maybe he improves there. Right now I’m wondering too if he will can be the 4th guard.
  Right now I guess I’d go with Svi. I like that Svi can move a bit more than Hauser and can create a bit more. Who knows after 2 preseason games. But it’s fun watching these bench guys to see who can emerge with minutes, at least to the start of the season.
  Can we pick up a buyout THIS year within the rules? I know it’s been discussed somewhere. But I missed the answer. Thanks!!