Author Topic: Jackie Mac: ‘Nobody is blameless’  (Read 12127 times)

Jackie Mac: ‘Nobody is blameless’
« on: May 11, 2021, 03:35:20 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Given that the team’s winning percentage is at its lowest in May since 2015, head coach Brad Stevens has been one of several targets of criticism. But according to longtime NBA reporter Jackie MacMullan, Stevens will not only stay in Boston, but could get a greater say in the roster construction.

“I really do,” MacMullan replied when asked about the possibility, “because I don’t know if everybody remembers, they signed Brad Stevens to an extension in August of last summer.”

MacMullan, speaking on NBC Sports Boston on Monday, listed factors that hampered Boston throughout 2021.

“I think he’s going to get a chance to come back because, again, I mentioned the COVID issues, the injury issues,” said MacMullan.

“I do think there have to be changes,” MacMullan added. “Does Brad Stevens deserve blame? Of course he does. Nobody can come out of this blameless. There are nights where you wonder if he’s getting to this roster. If they’re listening, if they’re paying attention.”

For MacMullan, a telltale sign of the team’s struggles under Stevens this season has been its diminished defensive capacity.

“All I can tell you is Brad Stevens’s teams are predicated on defense, and their defensive rating has plummeted from last season,” noted the longtime Celtics reporter.

As for one reason why Stevens might be less at fault for the drop in performance, MacMullan pointed to the free agent departure of Gordon Hayward.

“I’ll say it again, I’ve said it 100 times, everybody seemed so glad that Gordon Hayward was walking out that door,” said MacMullan. “Let me tell you guys, He was the big, strong wing defender that kept this unit humming. He was also the best facilitator on this team that sacrificed shots to make the extra pass last year. I can’t stress enough how bad it was that Gordon Hayward walked away for nothing.”

https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/1391958912446996481?s=20
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Jackie Mac: ‘Nobody is blameless’
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 03:40:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We need new assistant coaches, and we need more vets.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 03:53:07 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
It’s health. It’s health. Our top 7 didn’t play a single game together this season. They won’t in the playoffs. It’s health.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 03:56:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Including the media!

;)

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 03:56:25 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
It’s health. It’s health. Our top 7 didn’t play a single game together this season. They won’t in the playoffs. It’s health.
That's not accurate.

But health was a big factor. It's not a surprise the 4 teams with the shortest offseasons have all had brutal health situations.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 04:13:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Quote from: Roy H.

I agree with both of these sentiments.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 04:14:58 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Health matters. But Brooklyn has had a brutal injury report and look where they are. (I mean, they’ve missed 36 games of Durant, 20+ of Harden, 17 of Irving.) They just have a ridiculous amount of offensive talent. We don’t.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 04:16:23 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
agree..can’t have same bench again next season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 04:22:22 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The biggest move the 76ers made this past off season was the hiring of Daryl Morey and Doc Rivers. Now, I love Danny and want him to remain with the team. However, I think the major change for the Celtics has to start with Ainge. The team needs a new architect to put the pieces together. For a while, it seems like Danny fell in love with his players and was reluctant to make changes. He finally made some trades at the deadline, but it was too little too late.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 04:41:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The biggest move the 76ers made this past off season was the hiring of Daryl Morey and Doc Rivers. Now, I love Danny and want him to remain with the team. However, I think the major change for the Celtics has to start with Ainge. The team needs a new architect to put the pieces together. For a while, it seems like Danny fell in love with his players and was reluctant to make changes. He finally made some trades at the deadline, but it was too little too late.

Has Morey ever put together a championship team? He didn't even build this Sixer team that was Hinkie and he got fired for his trouble.... The Pistons Gm is a genius.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 04:43:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta agree with Jackie, since I've been basically saying what she is for quite a while. It's everyone in this franchise's fault for this season, but especially the extenuating circumstances that have occurred.

An off-season only half as long as normal, no Summer League, no G League team, shortened training camp, a 2 game preseason, a condensed schedule, injuries, players playing themselves back into shape after injuries, Covid, players be affected by Covid after returning, the shear number of missed player games, 34 different starting lineups, 17 different players starting, the Covid restrictions on the road, the 9:00AM mandatory Covid testing on game days that mess with sleep cycles.

That's a lot of extenuating circumstances.

Weird little quote in that interview. So, so many here have pontificated that Brad has had a ton of input into the roster construction, hence having certain types of players. Jackie says he will now have even more influence on the rosters. Does that mean Brad didn't have a lot of say on the rosters, contrary to what many thought? Or does it mean he had a lot but now will be almost taking over that end of things? My guess is the former and not the latter.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 04:54:07 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
We need new assistant coaches

This is something I rarely hear in the NBA, and usually only when a head coach is lacking in some area and/or the Assistant brings a specialty (like Tom Thibodeau being the mastermind behind the C's defense during the KG era).

Can you expound on this a little?  As this is a critique I've yet to hear, my interest is definitely piqued.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 04:58:50 PM »

Offline mbsimpson47

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Gotta agree with Jackie, since I've been basically saying what she is for quite a while. It's everyone in this franchise's fault for this season, but especially the extenuating circumstances that have occurred.

An off-season only half as long as normal, no Summer League, no G League team, shortened training camp, a 2 game preseason, a condensed schedule, injuries, players playing themselves back into shape after injuries, Covid, players be affected by Covid after returning, the shear number of missed player games, 34 different starting lineups, 17 different players starting, the Covid restrictions on the road, the 9:00AM mandatory Covid testing on game days that mess with sleep cycles.

That's a lot of extenuating circumstances.

Last I checked the sixers faced most of the same extenuating circumstances and their play improved from last year.  Ainge missed BIG time on signing Thompson and Teague and letting Hayward walk.

Weird little quote in that interview. So, so many here have pontificated that Brad has had a ton of input into the roster construction, hence having certain types of players. Jackie says he will now have even more influence on the rosters. Does that mean Brad didn't have a lot of say on the rosters, contrary to what many thought? Or does it mean he had a lot but now will be almost taking over that end of things? My guess is the former and not the latter.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 05:00:54 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

All of the things we are all frustrated about concerning this team are every bit as evident with Kemba Walker, Marcus Smart and Tristan Thompson as they are with anyone else.

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 05:04:40 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

All of the things we are all frustrated about concerning this team are every bit as evident with Kemba Walker, Marcus Smart and Tristan Thompson as they are with anyone else.

Not to mention Jeff Teague while he was here.