Author Topic: Shams: Jaylen out for Season (Torn Ligament in Wrist)  (Read 12997 times)

Re: Shams: Jaylen out for Season (Torn Ligament in Wrist)
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2021, 01:47:10 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Oh god, this season is a nightmare, we go from one bad news to another, and this is the cherry on the cake. I really hope for him and for us, he will turn 100% as soon as next season. We all should remember how he was good at the begening of season, looking like is step up could be the one of the team. And then all the problems cames...

I also would prefer we put the white flag and perform in second half as we do in first until Charlotte and Wizzards beat us in PI. But it is not in our DNA. So I guess we will probably beat Charlotte and then be sweept by Nets, ironically.
Everyone knows injuries wasn't the only problem this year and our approach of the games, defense and some core adjusments have to be done. Philly turned their success with big changings, Utah did it with stability. I still hope CBS and Ainge can find the way, but their sits are hots now. CBS already had lost the team with Kirie and the next year he overachieve again. With off season hopefully, time to repose his mind, think about his failures and a more normal season (still hopefully), we can hope he can get it done, developp youth and build a good defense and chemistry like he did in the past. But if we begin like the same as this year, then it will be time to understand that the time of Brad could be done. Same for Ainge if he just draft another PG or SG propsect and don't do anything. We need to be active, probably turn the page of Kemba (who stayed correctly healthy; a team can bite for a little return) to find a less defensive liability like Ball, try to sign and trade for Collins, keep one of Smart and Fournier, find some cheap vets instead of Grant and Kornet. Live Grant, Langford, Tacko, Edwards continue to developp in G League.

What a shame this season was or is...

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2021, 07:55:19 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Forsberg:

2020-21 Celtics in a snapshot

183 games missed. Add 4 more for Jaylen Brown. Maybe more for Rob.

And now it’s guaranteed: Zero games played with their top 7 available the entire season.
Can't recall a more snake-bitten season
Who are the top 7?  I recall at least a couple of games with Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis, Thompson, and R. Williams.
I would assume Fournier instead of Theis
It’s Theis then Fournier.

At no point were those 6 and Theis or those 6 and Fournier all available

That’s according to Keith smith

I’m sure Forsberg was taking about Fournier.  Time Lord wouldn’t have even been considered a top 7 Celtic for the first half of the season.  And if Keith Smith said that, he’s wrong.  They all played vs. San Antonio, the Lakers game when Marcus got hurt, and maybe some other time after the All-Star break before Tristan got Covid.

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2021, 08:12:43 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
It's IT4 time!  Need some type of a spark plug and he might fill gaps from Kemba's rest that will be needed. 

Get Well Soon JB7!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2021, 08:20:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Forsberg:

2020-21 Celtics in a snapshot

183 games missed. Add 4 more for Jaylen Brown. Maybe more for Rob.

And now it’s guaranteed: Zero games played with their top 7 available the entire season.
Can't recall a more snake-bitten season
Who are the top 7?  I recall at least a couple of games with Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis, Thompson, and R. Williams.
I would assume Fournier instead of Theis
It’s Theis then Fournier.

At no point were those 6 and Theis or those 6 and Fournier all available

That’s according to Keith smith
except the 7 I put there all played in at least 2 games.  That is why I asked the question.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2021, 08:24:52 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Maybe it was a big mistake to lose Gordon Hayward after all. Or not trade him to the Pacers.

Because we could then have a currently injured Gordon Hayward or a currently injured Myles Turner?

I know - this argument should have been put to rest weeks ago. In fact, Fournier is the only one currently healthy of the 3, so we actually did make the right decision there. I am not sure what this has to do with Brown anyway.

Hopefully Brown is able to make a full recovery and come back as strong as ever for next season. The dude will finally get some much needed rest.

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2021, 09:03:03 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Best thing that could happen is miss the playoffs, get lucky in the lottery. (I mean, sure, I’d prefer a deep run, but that’s not happening.)

My guess is we’ll end up the 7 or 8 seed and get swept by Brooklyn or Philly in the first round. Because that’s the kind of year it’s been.

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2021, 09:17:17 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Best thing that could happen is miss the playoffs, get lucky in the lottery. (I mean, sure, I’d prefer a deep run, but that’s not happening.)

My guess is we’ll end up the 7 or 8 seed and get swept by Brooklyn or Philly in the first round. Because that’s the kind of year it’s been.

I don’t know what about this season makes you have any hope that we’d get lucky in the lottery.  The curse isn’t going to stop once the playoffs are over.

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Maybe it was a big mistake to lose Gordon Hayward after all. Or not trade him to the Pacers.

Because we could then have a currently injured Gordon Hayward or a currently injured Myles Turner?

I know - this argument should have been put to rest weeks ago. In fact, Fournier is the only one currently healthy of the 3, so we actually did make the right decision there. I am not sure what this has to do with Brown anyway.

Hopefully Brown is able to make a full recovery and come back as strong as ever for next season. The dude will finally get some much needed rest.

I’m actually pretty happy with Fornier, and I think that he was about as good of a replacement for Hayward as we were going to get.  I guess I would still prefer a Turner + McDermott +1st deal, but Fournier is really, really good.

That said...  I am a big believer in the butterfly effect. I think that if you put Turner or Hayward on a different team, they probably will not get the same injury.  Nothing is inevitable. If we stood Pat at the trade deadline, Jaylen probably doesn’t injure his wrist in the same way.  It’s more philosophical than anything, but if we treated for Turner he might still be playing for us. Or, he could have suffered a career ending injury the first week he was in green.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2021, 09:21:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

ah yes because Turner and Hayward were destined to have the exact same injury in Boston as they had in Indiana or Charlotte.  Now obviously Hayward is injury prone so him sustaining some sort of injury was entirely predictable.  Turner, though, has been pretty darn healthy in his career so him getting hurt was certainly far more unlikely and could have happened or not happened at all. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2021, 09:48:51 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
If the Celtics had beaten the Heat on Sunday, does the team announce Brown will have season ending surgery the very next day? He had been playing through the injury (on his non-shooting hand) since mid-April. Am I the only person bothered by the timing of this announcement? I can’t help but think either Brown, the team, or collectively they gave up on the season. Is the thinking behind getting the surgery now to focus his recovery on next season for either playing for the Celtics or trading him?

« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2021, 10:09:32 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I don’t know what about this season makes you have any hope that we’d get lucky in the lottery.  The curse isn’t going to stop once the playoffs are over.

New year, new luck! It’s science.

« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2021, 10:10:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the Celtics had beaten the Heat on Sunday, does the team announce Brown will have season ending surgery the very next day? He had been playing through the injury (on his non-shooting hand) since mid-April. Am I the only person bothered by the timing of this announcement? I can’t help but think either Brown, the team, or collectively they gave up on the season. Is the thinking behind getting the surgery now to focus his recovery on next season for either playing for the Celtics or trading him?

I think they determined the risk / reward of continuing to play through multiple injuries just wasn’t worth it.  I agree with them.  This can be a messy injury, and why risk it?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2021, 10:20:13 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

ah yes because Turner and Hayward were destined to have the exact same injury in Boston as they had in Indiana or Charlotte.  Now obviously Hayward is injury prone so him sustaining some sort of injury was entirely predictable.  Turner, though, has been pretty darn healthy in his career so him getting hurt was certainly far more unlikely and could have happened or not happened at all.

Destined?  No.  But Turner has a severe case of turf toe, which is a repetitive stress sort of injury as opposed to one caused by a sudden event, so it’s pretty likely he would have developed something similar in Boston.  And obviously Hayward injuring an ankle again should surprise no one, and certainly his elevated risk was a consideration in not paying him what he asked for.

« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2021, 10:24:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
ESPN's Pelton on the Brown injury:

Between the injuries, absences due to the NBA's health and safety protocols and the midseason trade of starter Daniel Theis, the Celtics have already used 34 different starting lineups this season. That's double their total in 2019-20 and the franchise's most in a season since starters were first tracked in 1983-84, according to Basketball-Reference.com.

As a result, Boston's absences might have been more impactful than it looks on the surface. Overall, Celtics players had missed games through last Thursday in which they would have been expected to contribute 8.5 wins above replacement player, by my WARP metric, the NBA's sixth-highest total. However, Owen Phillips' F5 newsletter has pointed out that lineups used might be a better measure of what causes teams to perform better or worse than expectations.

With the Brooklyn Nets (35 starting lineups) as a notable exception, the other teams that have been forced to change their starters as frequently as Boston have ended up lower in the standings. The Toronto Raptors, who lost to the Celtics in last year's conference semifinals, are likely headed to the lottery after using 34 starting combinations this season. The only other team to use more is the Houston Rockets (40), who have the league's worst record.

This doesn't account for the long-Covid that Tatum was playing with and may still have (I can't think of another top-tier player who has been more affected) nor the sub-optimal playing time for those working themselves back into the lineup from injuries either (Kemba and others).

I had posted something similar in another thread:
This is not directly related to Thompson vs. Williams but the Celtics have used about 650 different 5 man units this season in 64 games (3,072 minutes).  The highest used 5 man unit was .T. Thompson, .K. Walker, .J. Brown, .J. Tatum, .D. Theis for 131 min and +13 (+3.6 per 36).  Just randomly checking some other teams and the amount of minutes for their top units:

Phoenix          676
Utah               593
Philly              516
Milwaukee       425
Brooklyn         192

Teams that are stable in terms of defined roles and injuries can play their best line up together more.  The Celtics have had injury issues and one of their core doesn't play back-to-back games but we also did trade one of our top line up players.  Our most used non-Theis line up is Core 4 + RWill at 111 minutes.  This stat of time played by top units is not going to correlate directly to wins but I think it is telling in terms of the affect of injuries in relation to ability to have continuity with the core line up.  I did not check every team but the two surprise teams (Utah and Phoenix) are at the top of the ones I did check.

As Pelton says, the Nets are in a league of their own but this idea of amount that the core line up is available is directly correlated to success is very solid.  Teams like Utah and Phoenix are better than expected in large part due to the fact that they have had their core line up available.

As to Brown, this hurts. I am not sure we are better than Washington without Brown.

« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2021, 10:56:38 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Parker & Fournier have to step up big time now
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin