Author Topic: Absolutely brutal Shaughnessy article: Celtics "truly unlikable"  (Read 7039 times)

Re: Absolutely brutal Shaughnessy article: Celtics "truly unlikable"
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Much obliged oz
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 02:42:12 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
You'all from Boston know Shaughnessy better than I do, but I cant argue with much that he wrote. In a word, this team is immature. In another word, Brad Stevens is soft. Yet another, Ainge is stubborn and refuses to acknowledge reality..
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 02:45:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You'all from Boston know Shaughnessy better than I do, but I cant argue with much that he wrote. In a word, this team is immature. In another word, Brad Stevens is soft. Yet another, Ainge is stubborn and refuses to acknowledge reality..

Eh.  Everything with him is a glass half full of cyanide.  The man is a professional troll.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 05:37:13 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Honestly, it reads like lazy plagiarism from the Jail Blazers era Portland coverage.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2021, 05:22:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Shank has an updated interview with Danny. Posted below for those who don't have Globe access.

Airing some Celtics grievances to Danny Ainge, and other thoughts
By Dan Shaughnessy Globe Columnist,Updated May 14, 2021, 1:22 p.m.

I had an awkward conversation with Danny Ainge Friday morning. In an effort to represent what I consider a large segment of the Celtics fan base, I started our interview by telling Ainge that I hate the way his team plays. I can’t stand the way they come out flat, fall behind, rally to make it close, then ultimately capitulate.

I told him I don’t believe his players are doing what Brad Stevens asks them to do. Apologizing for my rudeness, I asked him if he felt we’d been too rough on the underachieving 2020-21 Celtics.

“I wish we competed out of the gate more,” the president of basketball operations acknowledged. “I wish our defensive efforts were more consistent. Absolutely. I understand all of those critiques, absolutely. So I think it’s a fair critique.”

What is his level of disappointment in this .500 team that will now have to participate in the “play-in” round just to get into the NBA playoffs?

“A lot of disappointment,” he said. “There’s been so many times this year when we’ve been just a day or two from being whole and fresh, and it’s been disappointing in every one of those cases when something creeps in and happens.

“That’s not an excuse. That’s just a fact. I’m not making an excuse for how poorly we have played at times or how we have not shown up with urgency. And when we have shown up with urgency didn’t have the resolve to fight through the poor start when we were not making shots.”

What is he going to do about it? Every time Ainge is asked about changes, he talks like a man who isn’t going to do anything big in the offseason.

“I never said that,” Ainge countered. “I don’t know. We’ll make some changes. I don’t know what changes we’ll make. That’s what makes the offseason fun.”

OK. Is there any possibility of big changes?

“I won’t comment on that,” Ainge said. “That’s a headline we don’t need. That’s a distraction.”

Are you coming back?

“Of course.”

Is Stevens coming back?

“Of course.”

Are Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown coming back?

“Yes.”

Well then, nothing big, I concluded.

“I don’t know what you expect,” said Ainge. “You can’t think that any of those things are the reason for what this year has been.”

Acknowledging that I don’t enjoy the NBA in 2021 compared with the golden 1980s, I explained to Ainge, “I’m fed up with your team and can’t stand watching them. I don’t know how you do it. They just should be better, and it doesn’t feel like it’s going in the right direction. But I’m not out there playing. So what do I know?”

“OK, well, let me ask you a question,” Ainge offered. “Do you think if we had Kemba and Jaylen and Jayson and Fournier and Robert Williams and Marcus Smart — do you think that that team would be more fun to watch?”

Maybe. But nobody in the NBA is at full strength every day anymore.

“Well, all I am saying is that there is hope,” said Ainge. “I can’t dispute anything you said and I’m not trying to defend it. I’m just saying that there are good things that are happening.

“It’s hard to see those things sometimes, and I get it. I’m not expecting anybody else to see them, but that’s my job, to do an autopsy of the whole team and what are the causes and how can we get better?”

“Autopsy” is a good word to use with this group. But brace yourselves, Celtics fans. It sounds like Danny plans to bring the whole band back and give it another try next season.

Maybe Kyrie Irving was onto something. And Al Horford. And Gordon Hayward.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/05/14/sports/airing-some-celtics-grievances-danny-ainge-other-thoughts/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2021, 07:52:45 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I find the unlikable tag truly weird. I like just about every guy in the rotation a lot. Even guys like Semi who can be tough to watch some times, he's still a guy who works his butt off and seems to care.

It's been a really awful season. The players have all been through a lot. Attacking them as "unlikable" feels ridiculous.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2021, 08:44:40 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Who is Truly The Most Unlikeable of them all. He should stand in front if his  own mirror for the reflection never lies.

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2021, 08:59:35 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Shank is 100% right!

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2021, 09:29:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
“Well, all I am saying is that there is hope,” said Ainge. “I can’t dispute anything you said and I’m not trying to defend it. I’m just saying that there are good things that are happening.

“It’s hard to see those things sometimes, and I get it. I’m not expecting anybody else to see them, but that’s my job, to do an autopsy of the whole team and what are the causes and how can we get better?”

“Autopsy” is a good word to use with this group. But brace yourselves, Celtics fans. It sounds like Danny plans to bring the whole band back and give it another try next season.

Hope, give me a break that reeks of desperation.   He should start by crap canning the scouting staff than picked the 2019 draft!

He runs it back and they do poorly then the Danny Ainge and Coach Brad Stevens will be over.

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2021, 10:03:26 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
All you need to know about Dan Shaughnessy is that he somehow invented being an internet troll before the internet existed.

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2021, 10:13:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Danny Ainge: "We're going to make changes"

Shank: "It sounds like Danny plans to bring the whole band back and give it another try next season."

Pathetic journalist
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2021, 10:21:12 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
The expectations of this team are laughably unrealistic. How about some perspective? They just had everything go wrong in one of the all-time bizarre seasons in NBA history and finished around .500. Can we stop acting like the future of the franchise is doomed? Dude, sh** happens in sports. The Celtics front office doesn’t have a perfect track record, and neither does the coaching staff. But look at the compete body work and be happy you’ve got then. Meanwhile, the front offices of Brooklyn and LAL made basically every wrong decision possible over the past decade and, through sheer luck and the attractiveness of their cities, are loaded with top-10 players. This is the NBA.

Take a multi year look at this team and stop being so myopic. Jaylen and Jayson are something like 4-6 years from their primes. Jaylen alone seems to take a giant leap every year; what do you think this player will be like at, say, age 28? You’ve also got all of your future draft picks. THOSE TWO FACTS ALONE position this club better than most teams in the league for the coming years.

This year has been abysmal. I get it. I’m upset too. I fully expect this team to get throttled in the first round, and that assumes we make it out of the play in tournament, which is not a given. Both would be humiliating. But I’ve seen Celtics seasons end like that in the past only for the team to bounce back the next year. Did you forget the way we were all talking when Kyrie and Horford left just two years ago? We were all ready to jump off a bridge. Just take a deep breath, relax, and try and understand that the whole franchise hasn’t been ruined just because of this dismal season.

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I mean, this team is frustrating and unlike able. Those are facts.

I'm not sure that you're using that word properly. ;)

I don't think the team is unlikable.

You're correct.  I HATE THEM.

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2021, 10:51:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I mean, this team is frustrating and unlike able. Those are facts.

I'm not sure that you're using that word properly. ;)

I don't think the team is unlikable.

You're correct.  I HATE THEM.

I guess you don’t have to watch them.  If following the team is that hard on you, take a break.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
The expectations of this team are laughably unrealistic. How about some perspective? They just had everything go wrong in one of the all-time bizarre seasons in NBA history and finished around .500. Can we stop acting like the future of the franchise is doomed? Dude, sh** happens in sports. The Celtics front office doesn’t have a perfect track record, and neither does the coaching staff. But look at the compete body work and be happy you’ve got then. Meanwhile, the front offices of Brooklyn and LAL made basically every wrong decision possible over the past decade and, through sheer luck and the attractiveness of their cities, are loaded with top-10 players. This is the NBA.

Take a multi year look at this team and stop being so myopic. Jaylen and Jayson are something like 4-6 years from their primes. Jaylen alone seems to take a giant leap every year; what do you think this player will be like at, say, age 28? You’ve also got all of your future draft picks. THOSE TWO FACTS ALONE position this club better than most teams in the league for the coming years.

This year has been abysmal. I get it. I’m upset too. I fully expect this team to get throttled in the first round, and that assumes we make it out of the play in tournament, which is not a given. Both would be humiliating. But I’ve seen Celtics seasons end like that in the past only for the team to bounce back the next year. Did you forget the way we were all talking when Kyrie and Horford left just two years ago? We were all ready to jump off a bridge. Just take a deep breath, relax, and try and understand that the whole franchise hasn’t been ruined just because of this dismal season.

But...but...BUT we're the CELTICS, [dang it]! We expect to win the title every year!!

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D