Author Topic: Tatum and Covid!  (Read 3684 times)

Re: Tatum and Covid!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 09:13:37 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Apparently healthy people are threatened by Covid. Imagine if we followed those who thought this was merely a liberal hoax...
Not really and I dont feel threatened at all even though Im older than Tatum.   
20 year old males have a 0.004% mortality rate from Covid. 
Of the 550,000 deaths* in US only 0.3% are under 30 years old. 
Hoax isnt the right word, unscientific, panic driven over-reaction is more applicable.
The whole point of this is discussing what can happen besides death. Way to impressively miss the entire point

584000 dead people.

"over-reaction".

Any way, yeah, it's scary as hell to hear he's been struggling this much. I'm young enough, but hard pass.

Over reaction is the perfect word concerning young healthy people.
For perspective, nba players they are about 10x more likely to be killed in a car accident.  Yeah their may be other effects, but death is statistically almost zero.
Which again, is not the point. Stop trying to derail a thread about Tatum's COVID symptoms with this nonsense minimising of the dangers it poses.

Since the All-Star break in March, he's averaging 27.9 points and 7.6 rebounds per game, while shooting 48.3 percent from the floor and 40.2 percent on 3-point shots.

A strong case could be made for Tatum to earn a spot on one of the three All-NBA teams...

Tatum is the one who minimized it haha

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 09:28:43 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Apparently healthy people are threatened by Covid. Imagine if we followed those who thought this was merely a liberal hoax...
Hoax isnt the right word, unscientific, panic driven over-reaction is more applicable.
The whole point of this is discussing what can happen besides death. Way to impressively miss the entire point

584000 dead people.

"over-reaction".

Any way, yeah, it's scary as hell to hear he's been struggling this much. I'm young enough, but hard pass.

For perspective, nba players they are about 10x more likely to be killed in a car accident.  Yeah their may be other effects, but death is statistically almost zero.

There is so much incomplete and misleading information here:

1- Tatum is not 20 years old. Most data group people 20-29 years old.
2- In this age group, there are ~ 23 million males
https://www.statista.com/statistics/241488/population-of-the-us-by-sex-and-age/
3- In this group there have been ~1350 deaths
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#SexAndAge
4- It means ~0,006% of this population is ALREADY dead.
5- Mortality rate is not an absolute value. It is related to a certain period of time.
6- So, one must consider that not everybody has had covid. Preventive measures were part of the reason the infection rate was lower than it could have been. Preventive measures, such as the use of mask or the ban of mass events, may also impact the severity of the desease.
7- Not everybody that had covid is immune to a new inffection covid.
8- And that we have no proof that previous infections provide mid and long term (say 5, 10, 20 years) protection against covid.

But what I'm more interested about, as a city planner, is your comparison of Covid to car crashes:

9 - Among the Western rich countries, the US has by far the worse levels of deaths in car accidents per 100000 people per year
10- Car crashes and related deaths are preventable. Pretty much no other population in OECD-member countries would accept to live in a place with that kind of car crash fatality
11 - I have no clues where your data about deaths in traffic comes from, but 0,012% of the American population is killed every year in car crashes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate
12 - But the relation covid x car crashes is not tenfold.
13 - This data about car crashes is related to the whole population. Though the difference between young people and old people is not as high as in COVID, traffic fatality rate is also higher in older people. The "risk" of a 20-30 year old male american being killed in a car accident is probably actually lower than 0,012%.

And last, but not least:

14- There is much more about COVID than immediate deaths;
15- It makes absolutelly no sense to evaluate policies and actions related to COVID-19 from a 20-30 year old group point of view because this would be an individual-centered approach. What makes it a pandemic are social relations and the fact that the virus is transmitted from person to person.

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 09:59:21 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

584000 dead people.

"over-reaction".

There is so much incomplete and misleading information here:

1- Tatum is not 20 years old. Most data group people 20-29 years old.
2- In this age group, there are ~ 23 million males
https://www.statista.com/statistics/241488/population-of-the-us-by-sex-and-age/
3- In this group there have been ~1350 deaths
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#SexAndAge
4- It means ~0,006% of this population is ALREADY dead.
5- Mortality rate is not an absolute value. It is related to a certain period of time.
6- So, one must consider that not everybody has had covid. Preventive measures were part of the reason the infection rate was lower than it could have been. Preventive measures, such as the use of mask or the ban of mass events, may also impact the severity of the desease.
7- Not everybody that had covid is immune to a new inffection covid.
8- And that we have no proof that previous infections provide mid and long term (say 5, 10, 20 years) protection against covid.

But what I'm more interested about, as a city planner, is your comparison of Covid to car crashes:

9 - Among the Western rich countries, the US has by far the worse levels of deaths in car accidents per 100000 people per year
10- Car crashes and related deaths are preventable. Pretty much no other population in OECD-member countries would accept to live in a place with that kind of car crash fatality
11 - I have no clues where your data about deaths in traffic comes from, but 0,012% of the American population is killed every year in car crashes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate
12 - But the relation covid x car crashes is not tenfold.
13 - This data about car crashes is related to the whole population. Though the difference between young people and old people is not as high as in COVID, traffic fatality rate is also higher in older people. The "risk" of a 20-30 year old male american being killed in a car accident is probably actually lower than 0,012%.

And last, but not least:

14- There is much more about COVID than immediate deaths;
15- It makes absolutelly no sense to evaluate policies and actions related to COVID-19 from a 20-30 year old group point of view because this would be an individual-centered approach. What makes it a pandemic are social relations and the fact that the virus is transmitted from person to person.

Probably actually the post of the year 🙃

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 10:11:26 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Statistically speaking people under 30 are *about* 10x more likely to die in a car crash.  Qualify and nitpick as you will but that’s the bottom line.  Yet nobody bats an eye getting in the car.  MASSIVE over reaction from younger people over this virus. 

A few people have lingering issues, but yet can still score 60 pts.  That’s life.

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 10:15:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Statistically speaking people under 30 are *about* 10x more likely to die in a car crash.  Qualify and nitpick as you will but that’s the bottom line.  Yet nobody bats an eye getting in the car.  MASSIVE over reaction from younger people over this virus. 

A few people have lingering issues, but yet can still score 60 pts.  That’s life.

Tatum is the one talking about the effects he's experiencing. Get off your stupid soapbox and have some humanity!

I didn't want this to become a stupid political debate. It was just supposed to be a health and safety thread about Tatum and also Fournier and Romeo.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:29:40 PM by liam »

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2021, 05:29:18 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Tatum is the one talking about the effects he's experiencing. Get off your stupid soapbox and have some humanity!

I didn't want this to become a stupid political debate. It was just supposed to be a health and safety thread about Tatum and also Fournier and Romeo.

It's unfortunate that everything to do with Covid in our country has become politicized. I'm pretty sure it's not like that in any other country, where it's used as a cudgel to advance various political agendas and viewpoints.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am much worse health than Jayson at my age and had several of the underlying conditions that made it more dangerous.   I had Covid back in Nov 20, it was a like a bad flu for me.  I didn't have to be hospitalized.   I had some after effects but of course I am not a professional athlete so it did not affect my life like Jayson's.   Do you folks realize that a lot of people get have some cardio related issues?  My wife and I both had infection of the pericardium following covid.  It resolved naturally and I feel much better but it took me 3-4 months.

Nearly one-fourth of those hospitalized with COVID-19 have been diagnosed with cardiovascular complications, which have been shown to contribute to roughly 40% of all COVID-19-related deaths.

But two recent studies suggest heart damage among those infected may be more widespread. In JAMA Cardiology, an analysis of autopsies done on 39 COVID-19 patients identified infections in the hearts of patients who had not been diagnosed with cardiovascular issues while they were ill.

Another JAMA Cardiology study used cardiac MRIs on 100 people who had recovered from COVID-19 within the past two to three months. Researchers found abnormalities in the hearts of 78% recovered patients and "ongoing myocardial inflammation" in 60%. The same study found high levels of the blood enzyme troponin, an indicator of heart damage, in 76% of patients tested, although heart function appeared to be generally preserved. Most patients in the study had not required hospitalization.

"There's a group of people who seem to be more affected from the cardiac point of view," said Dr. Mina Chung, a cardiologist and professor of medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University.

But, she said, it can be difficult to identify who is at risk, or for those recovering from the virus to know if they're having heart problems.

"A lot of people end up feeling exhausted for a while. They can't get up to the exertion level they were at before. But it's difficult to tease out whether or not it's the lungs taking a little more time to heal or whether it's a cardiac issue," said Chung, who is leading the coordination of more than a dozen ongoing COVID-19 research studies funded by the American Heart Association.

"If things continue to get better with time, that's a good sign," she said. "It's not unexpected that if you have not been active for a while, you get deconditioned and may have shortness of breath if you push yourself."

I wore a mask, hand sanitized, largely stayed at home expect for once a week shopping and work, and socially distanced and I still have zero idea where I got it.  I am liberal on some social issues, and conservative fiscally on others.   But I listened to the science and got the vaccine and followed the directives.  I had a friend with no underlying conditions ten years younger almost die from it.  It really affects body wide inflammation and does some weird things to people and no too people are affected the same.  My wife is generally more healthy than me and had a far worse case but I am type O negative blood which seems to be protective.   Thing is we are on a frontier of medical science with this disease and they are learning as we go.

I have heard that more males than females die.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200409-why-covid-19-is-different-for-men-and-women

and it affects Afro-Americans, Latino's and Native Americans at higher rate with more deaths though a lot of this seems driven by socioeconomic conditions.

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2021, 01:07:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

It's unfortunate that everything to do with Covid in our country has become politicized. I'm pretty sure it's not like that in any other country, where it's used as a cudgel to advance various political agendas and viewpoints.

For the purposes of this thread, it would be like politicizing Jaylan's wrist injury.