Author Topic: Roster Likely Set - Expected Home Stretch Rotation  (Read 5086 times)

Re: Roster Likely Set - Expected Home Stretch Rotation
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 12:06:09 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think that is an overestimation of what Parker is going to play.   Sure, if the Celtics need an extra offensive boost, he is in.   If they need an extra defensive boost, Grant or Semi.  If they just want solid play, I imagine we will see more Semi or Grant.   

Honestly, 7 guys will get consistent minutes/roles:
Tatum
Brown
Walker
Smart
Rob Williams
Fournier
Thompson.

The rest will be matchup/who playing well based. 

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 01:16:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think that is an overestimation of what Parker is going to play.   Sure, if the Celtics need an extra offensive boost, he is in.   If they need an extra defensive boost, Grant or Semi.  If they just want solid play, I imagine we will see more Semi or Grant.   

Honestly, 7 guys will get consistent minutes/roles:
Tatum
Brown
Walker
Smart
Rob Williams
Fournier
Thompson.

The rest will be matchup/who playing well based.

That is a decent 7 to go with.  I think adding Pritchard as the 8th on the list is pretty non-controversial.  He has been averaging about 16 min for March and April and I would expect that to continue.  He is the back up PG.  Sure, Smart could take those minutes as Fournier starts to see more time as a wing but I think we will continue to see Pritchard in that regular rotation tier of the bench, albeit less minutes than Fournier or Thompson (who both probably see more like 24 min).

After those 8 get their minutes, there are probably about 24 minutes left to be shared by Parker, GWill, Ojeleye, and Langford.  I think it would be great if Parker played well enough to see 12-16 of those minutes.  I think he is the perfect fit as a scoring swing for the remaining role, but it is likely going to be different combinations.  All of these 9-12 slots are potentially useful players.

Then the end of the bench is Nesmith, Edwards, and likely Kornet.  Probably garbage time only or in the event of multiple injury/illness.  These are not horrible options for 13-15 on your team.  Then our two-way guys, Waters has some usefulness, Tacko not so much, but hey, these are two-way players, you can't expect much.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:23:55 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 01:27:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If they need an extra defensive boost, Grant or Semi.

Please let it be Semi he can stay in front of guys and is stronger and is a better defender.

I actually feel a lot better about the roster than I did prior to the trade deadline.   Adding Parker and Fournier could help us.   What do others think?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:52:24 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 06:09:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I feel Parker fills a big need, a bench scoring big, and a PF that can play inside and out. So I'm okay with things right now. Still kind of wish we had Theis over TT. Health and chemistry is still an issue. Team needs everyone on deck to gel before playoffs. Team's top ten seems legit with

Walker/PP
Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier
Tatum/Parker
TL/TT

Next 4 I'd guess are Center Kornet, Pf/C Grant, PF/SF Semi, SF/SG Nesmith.

A typical playoff team has a vet guard off the bench so maybe that's a concern. Maybe team starts Fournier over Smart to compensate but then that means we may see more Semi and Grant minutes. Not sure how BS tackles this.

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 08:20:00 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I tend to look at the roster as who are my 8 guys I am trusting in a playoff game..

Start

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
R-Will

Next 3

Fournier
Thompson
Pritchard

After that the Cs actually have very nice utility options whose minutes should depend on matchups

Semi (D vs Giannis/Simmons)
Parker (offense)
Grant ( small ball)
Langford (wing defense)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 04:17:58 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I tend to look at the roster as who are my 8 guys I am trusting in a playoff game..

Start

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
R-Will

Next 3

Fournier
Thompson
Pritchard

After that the Cs actually have very nice utility options whose minutes should depend on matchups

Parker (offense)
Grant ( small ball)
Langford (wing defense)

This looks like a PO rotation with good versatility.
Considering the weird session, we have to give Danny credit for finding what we lacked last year, guys 5-9.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 07:24:08 AM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14

Start

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
R-Will

Next 3

Fournier
Thompson
Pritchard

Parker (offense)
Grant ( small ball)
Langford (wing defense)

Considering the weird session, we have to give Danny credit for finding what we lacked last year, guys 5-9.

Last season it was Theis-Kanter-Hayward-Wanamaker instead of Williams-Thompson-Fournier-Pritchard. One could argue, which group is better. I think we rely heavily on Pritchard to produce, considering he’s a rookie, though I also have faith in him. If everybody’s healthy and plays around their playoff minute averages, there would only be playing time for top 8 guys, that should/could be competitive against anyone. The rest of the guys can be ok with minimal roles, but when Semi/Grant/Langford try playmaking of the dribble it goes south really quickly. I also am not sure about Parker’s conditioning and defense, so I expect his role to be minimal, provided other regulars are available, though I have some hope that he might gain a bigger role with a longer offseason and a full training camp - he’s still young and the talent is definitely there.

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 08:25:30 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Start

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
R-Will

Next 3

Fournier
Thompson
Pritchard

Parker (offense)
Grant ( small ball)
Langford (wing defense)

Last season it was Theis-Kanter-Hayward-Wanamaker instead of Williams-Thompson-Fournier-Pritchard. One could argue, which group is better. I think we rely heavily on Pritchard to produce, considering he’s a rookie, though I also have faith in him. If everybody’s healthy and plays around their playoff minute averages, there would only be playing time for top 8 guys, that should/could be competitive against anyone. The rest of the guys can be ok with minimal roles, but when Semi/Grant/Langford try playmaking of the dribble it goes south really quickly. I also am not sure about Parker’s conditioning and defense, so I expect his role to be minimal, provided other regulars are available, though I have some hope that he might gain a bigger role with a longer offseason and a full training camp - he’s still young and the talent is definitely there.

Hayward didn't play in playoffs last year except the first game and the last 2 (extremely disabled). So I would remove him when making this comparison.  Plus when healthy he was a starter and Smart was off bench.

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
If this is the second unit, it's not that bad!

Pritchard, Langford, Fournier, Parker, and RWill

Adding Parker really benefited this group and depth, so when healthy, I think the C's can make a run.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 11:50:38 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I posted on this well done thread some days past.

Parker has gotten minutes and now I see why they brought him in...he's an offensive spark and it seems a legit one for now.

In 31 minutes playing in Boston he's 9 for 13 with 19 points and 5 rebounds. (He likes rebounds so he can score).

This changes the Celtic's non existent bench scoring to just plain holy smokes.

Pritchard 40% from three
Fournier
Tatum/Brown
Parker
Thompson

That lineup is going to score...a lot hopefully. It's been awhile since this team had some depth that matched it's needs.

Look at that lineup again...they have a frontcourt with a center and a power forward  - a point guard - two wingers...the world is upside down, Philly, the Bux and Kyrie are having special meetings on what to do with the Celtic's "new bench" in the playoffs.

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 12:07:09 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Quick question, once everyone is back (knock on wood) how may shot attempts will there be for Parker?   

I am also concerned that teams may be able to target Pritchard, limiting some of his run.   

Just like we get concerned when teams ignore Grant, Semi and Langford at times.   

Outside the top 7, I think matchups rule the 8th guy. 

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 12:38:04 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Quick question, once everyone is back (knock on wood) how may shot attempts will there be for Parker?   

I am also concerned that teams may be able to target Pritchard, limiting some of his run.   

I think you're generally right.  I do think Pritchard will see time every game as a nominal 8th man in the rotation, because Stevens (and Ainge, I learned during his announcing gig on Monday) like having multiple ball-handlers on the floor.  But I do think that 9th man will change from series-to-series and game-to-game within a series.  I think Grant, Jabari, and Romy will most likely be called on, although Semi and Kornet will get their chances if we stay around long enough.  (Edwards and Nesmith, not so much).

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 12:52:25 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

For the remainder of this season and the playoffs I except Parker to be used as a scoring drought breaker. Specifically in games where Kemba/Fournier/Smart are not producing on offense I can see BS putting Parker on the floor with Tatum or Brown to give the opposing team a different look. If he continues to show promise in this role and has a productive/healthy off-season I suspect an expanded role for Parker next season.

As a side note I could see a scenario where the Celtics making a move to get out of Kemba's deal this off-season, retain Fournier, and then start Smart, Fournier, Brown, Tatum, R Will with Parker earning the 6th man role.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 06:42:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Adding Parker really benefited this group and depth, so when healthy, I think the C's can make a run.
Call me crazy, but this is not a very good bench, at all.  Fournier is the only one on that bench that I trust in the playoffs. However, I recognize this thread is not about the playoffs, but just the home stretch.

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 07:19:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Call me crazy, but this is not a very good bench, at all.  Fournier is the only one on that bench that I trust in the playoffs. However, I recognize this thread is not about the playoffs, but just the home stretch.
I think it's pretty comparable to most other playoff teams benches. Teams like Brooklyn and Utah are different beasts because of star power and depth respectively.
Philly: Milton-Hill-Thybulle-Scott-Howard
Milwaukee: Forbes-Connaughton-Nwora-Tucker-Portis
Atlanta: Williams-Bogdanovic-Hill-Gallo-Okongwu
New York: Rose-Quickley-Burks-Toppin-Noel
Phoenix: Payne-Galloway-Craig-Kaminsky-Saric
Denver: Campazzo-Morris-Dozier-Millsap-McGee
LAC: Rondo-Jackson-Morris-Patterson-Zubac

Could go on, but our bench stacks up with these. The only real difference is experience, but I think TT will be our bench big in the playoffs for the most part anyway. A rookie and a guy who is effectively a rookie alongside three veterans with a good balance of offence, shooting and defence suits me fine.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)