Author Topic: Derek Chauvin Trial  (Read 12240 times)

Re: Derek Chauvin Trial
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2021, 08:13:05 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Evan Fournier
  • Tommy Points: 31
I didn't follow the trial that closely and was glad that justice was served. However,  as I just read this forum and research the specific detail "unintentional" before the various degrees of murders he was charged, I'm somewhat shocked at that. When I watched the video, I saw a man in position of authority on a power trip who thought he could kill someone and get away with it due to the color of the victims skin. I'd assume there were things in the trial that lead to the "unintentional" wording of the verdict rather than just trying to sugarcoat the verdict.

« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2021, 08:52:38 PM »

Online gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1091
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I didn't follow the trial that closely and was glad that justice was served. However,  as I just read this forum and research the specific detail "unintentional" before the various degrees of murders he was charged, I'm somewhat shocked at that. When I watched the video, I saw a man in position of authority on a power trip who thought he could kill someone and get away with it due to the color of the victims skin. I'd assume there were things in the trial that lead to the "unintentional" wording of the verdict rather than just trying to sugarcoat the verdict.
I'm not sure how you can see the thoughts going on in someone's head...

I'm glad Chauvin was found guilty. But I'm not sure how you can be so sure of this
Fire Brad & Trade Smart

« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2021, 09:20:46 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• Robert Williams
  • Tommy Points: 10

I'm glad Chauvin was found guilty. But I'm not sure how you can be so sure of this

https://www.iflscience.com/brain/scientists-develop-brain-decoder-can-read-your-inner-thoughts/

« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2021, 07:13:16 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 543
And now Lebron James wants to crucify a cop that saved a girls life.  This is the world weíre living in now.  To say Ďyouíre nextí to this guy like heís no better than Derek Chauvin is awful
Greg

« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2021, 11:45:27 AM »

• Evan Fournier
I just watched the knife stabbing attempt video. I understand the need to stop the stabbing but why wouldn't the officer use the taser or some nonlethal means of stopping the attempted stabber?

« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2021, 11:50:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26941
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat
I just watched the knife stabbing attempt video. I understand the need to stop the stabbing but why wouldn't the officer use the taser or some nonlethal means of stopping the attempted stabber?

Tazers arenít that accurate, and often arenít effective.  In a life-threatening situation, you canít risk the innocentís life.
I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHERóóó AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2021, 11:53:25 AM »

• Evan Fournier

I cannot read minds. I go by my experiences with people, observations of typical human behavior, my own thoughts when putting myself in their shoes and what I may do if I were a motivated bad person in that situation. It's not a perfect system and I'm not always 100% right (nor is anyone). If Chauvin intent was not to kill, he would have let Floyd breathe by taking knee pressure off his throat long before the 9+ minutes he had it on there with many witnesses guiding him to do so.

« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2021, 11:55:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Tazers arenít that accurate, and often arenít effective.  In a life-threatening situation, you canít risk the innocentís life.
They often only fire once as well, so if you miss, you don't get a second chance.
2021 Historical Draft - 5th Pick - Raptors
PG - Tiny Archibald 73, Don Buse 77, Terrell Brandon 96
SG - Chet Walker 67, Michael Cooper 87, Raja Bell 06
SF - Predrag "Peja" Stojakovic 04, Kiki Vandeweghe 87, Robert Covington 18
PF - Karl Malone 97, Spencer Haywood 73, David West 08
C - Ben Wallace 04, George Mikan 50, Al Jefferson 08

« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2021, 12:29:50 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 1354
  • What a Pub Should Be

I cannot read minds. I go by my experiences with people, observations of typical human behavior, my own thoughts when putting myself in their shoes and what I may do if I were a motivated bad person in that situation. It's not a perfect system and I'm not always 100% right (nor is anyone). If Chauvin intent was not to kill, he would have let Floyd breathe by taking knee pressure off his throat long before the 9+ minutes he had it on there with many witnesses guiding him to do so.

I don't necessarily agree with you about the intent to kill but there was definitely a power trip going on at that scene there not just with Chauvin but the other cops also. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #189 on: April 22, 2021, 01:11:36 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 224
Iím curious, is there any left leaning person here, who finds the verdict to be totally out of line?

How is everything lining up on such political terms now and so predictable?

71% of Americans agreed with the verdict, including 55% of Republicans.  This is honestly one of the most unified polls youíll see in this country.  I think you should look inside and consider why you think this political.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/04/21/chauvin-verdict-poll-majority-approve-guilty-finding/7316788002/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=curated

There is a massive difference between simply asking in a poll if Chauvin was guilty, than if those same people polled agree with him being guilty on each of those specific three charges.

« Reply #190 on: April 22, 2021, 04:31:24 PM »

Offline gift

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 237

I don't necessarily agree with you about the intent to kill but there was definitely a power trip going on at that scene there not just with Chauvin but the other cops also.

After reviewing more of the material around the case (not everything) I actually think Chauvin wasn't particularly worse than the other officers. I don't see any evidence that Chauvin restricted Floyd's breathing by way of his positioning or pressure (though it's possible he did after the initial few minutes). I do think the police had the responsibility, for sure after one of them acknowledges that he was passed out, to focus on checking his breathing and pulse etc. It took another 4 and half minutes for the EMTs to get to him (and they didn't seem in much of a rush either), and that can make a difference between life and death.

This is similar to another incident a few years ago where officers held similar positions, similar lack of appropriate concern and awareness of the medical situation they were dealing with and ultimately lead to the death of the detained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-E_i8Q5G0

In both cases officers suspected drug use and some potential medical ramifications due to the drug use. For sure, officers need to be more concerned and perhaps lying on the stomach is not advised in these situations? Idk

« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2021, 11:48:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26941
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat
Interesting interview with one of the alternate jurors:

https://www.kare11.com/mobile/article/news/local/george-floyd/derek-chauvin-trial-alternate-juror-lisa-christensen/89-97b74eb1-c875-4ed5-93ad-5c72620b9f18

Thereís a lot to take away from that, but my overall thought is that the judge made a mistake not changing venue.  The trial should have been moved as far away from the rioters as possible.  The key quote to me:

I did not want to go through rioting and destruction again and I was concerned about people coming to my house if they were not happy with the verdict.

However, only being about six blocks from the police department, I could hear everything. When I came home, I could hear the helicopters flying over my house... I could hear the flash bangs going off. If I stepped outside, I could see the smoke from the grenades. One day, the trial ran a little late, and I had trouble getting to my house, because the protesters were blocking the interstate, so I had to go way around.

Reading the entirety of the interview, she seemed engaged.  She seems to have understood most of the evidence.  I can criticize some of her preconceptions, but I think she presents as being a normal citizen juror.

But the quotes above...  Can somebody be truly impartial when theyíre worried about their personal safety?  When theyíre driving home and hear / see riots, helicopters and grenades?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHERóóó AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2021, 01:39:05 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 224
I know the overwhelming majority feel justice was served. However, when it comes to the judicial process, something smells. Since the charges were announced, there was constant debate as to what charges he would be found guilty. However, the jury thatís deciding the manís fate, barely digested lunch before convicting him on all charges. Did these jurors already know their decision before the trial even began? In the back of their minds, were they fearful of causing further riots, personal safety, or even losing their jobs if they didnít find him guilty on all the charges? From a PR perspective, would a company want to keep an employee that was on the jury that found him not guilty?

If additional jurors grant interviews, and they all say something similar regarding not wanting to go through rioting and destruction or concern of personal safety, could the defense attorney file for a mistrial? The National Guard was even deployed over the fear of riots. How could a juror make an impartial decision when they know the chance of riots across the country depends solely on a guilty/not guilty answer?

« Reply #193 on: April 23, 2021, 02:48:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I know the overwhelming majority feel justice was served. However, when it comes to the judicial process, something smells. Since the charges were announced, there was constant debate as to what charges he would be found guilty. However, the jury thatís deciding the manís fate, barely digested lunch before convicting him on all charges. Did these jurors already know their decision before the trial even began? In the back of their minds, were they fearful of causing further riots, personal safety, or even losing their jobs if they didnít find him guilty on all the charges? From a PR perspective, would a company want to keep an employee that was on the jury that found him not guilty?

If additional jurors grant interviews, and they all say something similar regarding not wanting to go through rioting and destruction or concern of personal safety, could the defense attorney file for a mistrial? The National Guard was even deployed over the fear of riots. How could a juror make an impartial decision when they know the chance of riots across the country depends solely on a guilty/not guilty answer?
Or the evidence was just overwhelming.  Most of the time cases like this get pled out and never go to trial because they are a waste of time.  This one couldn't be pled out for a variety of reasons, none of which have anything to do with the actual evidence or merits of the case.  Chauvin was convicted with relatively short deliberations because the evidence was overwhelmingly pointing to his actual guilt.
2021 Historical Draft - 5th Pick - Raptors
PG - Tiny Archibald 73, Don Buse 77, Terrell Brandon 96
SG - Chet Walker 67, Michael Cooper 87, Raja Bell 06
SF - Predrag "Peja" Stojakovic 04, Kiki Vandeweghe 87, Robert Covington 18
PF - Karl Malone 97, Spencer Haywood 73, David West 08
C - Ben Wallace 04, George Mikan 50, Al Jefferson 08

« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2021, 12:27:29 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1331
Teachers' unions just got them out of work for a year and a half; why are the police unions so ineffective?

Police actually have a meaningful argument to be at home right now.

I don't know what point ur trying to make regarding police and this trial but I do know you are way off base regarding teachers.

Teachers didnt get out of working bc of the pandemic. If anything their jobs got harder. All have had to shift the way they teach, from in person to remote, and in the process revamp their whole curriculum. Many had to do something even harder by teaching hybrid, remote and in person at the same time. 
Inititially when schools closed there were some teachers that threw in the towel and did the bare minimum. They were probably not great educators to begin with. But now teachers aren't sitting home eating bonbons. They are juggling many new different ways to teach and having to be very creative. Teaching is a hard job, the pandemic made it even harder. Theyre still working.

You're speaking to some teachers' experiences, and I agree, many of their jobs have become more difficult.  Unfortunately, there's also been a large coalition of others -- with strong and corrupt union representation -- who have refused to return to the classroom; I've seen this firsthand in a top public school system, and the effects on kids have been devastating, from their mental health to academics.

On top of their refusal to return to the classroom, some are sending Youtube links to students in place of lectures, all while students are falling by the wayside. Imagine the impact on those who were already struggling... cognitively, academically, socially, and emotionally.   When I see several kids per week with their first suicidal thoughts/attempts, as young as 5-7 years old, I can't help but feel very frustrated.