Author Topic: Chad Finn: Don't Trade Rob, Romeo or Aaron for Quick Fix  (Read 7514 times)

Re: Chad Finn: Don't Trade Rob, Romeo or Aaron for Quick Fix
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 10:33:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Definitely. Agree with everything about the youth.

I disagree with the idea that Vucevic is a quick fix though. He is an All-Star caliber big man who fits perfectly with our offensive needs and faults us back into contention in the East. He is a player worth giving up valuable assets for.
Yeah, I agree with this. Timelord is showing off what he can do.

Vuce is the ideal big man for our offence. Elite shooter and passer, and can get old-fashioned with it and smash defenders in the post.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 10:39:03 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
If we're getting a top 5 center back like Vucevic, you get rid of a big like Thompson and Langford, unload some first-rounders and try without losing Smart

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 08:49:25 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
To get a guy like Vuce, Collins, Grant or better I'd expect you have to give up TL. And for those players I would do it. We could be giving up TL early but we could also be selling high. Same goes for PP if you can get a borderline all star for two nice young players you can pull the trigger if you are a contender and it's not a rental.

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 08:56:18 AM »

Online timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Reminds me of the Joe Johnson trade.

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 09:12:59 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Is Vucevic really going to help us in playoffs. His last 10 playoff games which by the way have been his total in his career minus one game a decade ago were less than impressive.

1. 8 out of 10 games horrible minus while on the floor
2. 6 out of 10 games he had horrible shooting percentages .
3. In both eliminating games, he had his worst performance of the series and had a -25 and -26

We need a big who can play strong defense and not vanish in big games. Not sure he is worthy of a treasure chest of picks and youth. He will surely not put us over the top vs the top teams in our conference. I would pass if the demand is multiple firsts and our youth.

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 09:27:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think one important point of the article is that you can't lump guys like Romeo or Nesmith (late lottery picks) with guys like Grant Williams, Carson Edwards, etc. (late first round/ second round picks) because they were picked high for a reason, and need time to develop before you can really assess their value.

Langford is like Robert Williams in that he has intriguing talent but due to injury has had little time to develop and improve.  He might as well be a rookie for the amount of time he has missed.   Trade packages involving Rob Williams on this board a year ago, or even at the start of the year, treated him like a throw in, salary filler.  His value to the team has obviously outperformed that marker quite significantly. Why? Because he has finally gotten minutes to show what he can do, reduce his mistakes, and get better.  Young guys generally get better.  Much more than older guys. 

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 09:31:46 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Is Vucevic really going to help us in playoffs. His last 10 playoff games which by the way have been his total in his career minus one game a decade ago were less than impressive.

1. 8 out of 10 games horrible minus while on the floor
2. 6 out of 10 games he had horrible shooting percentages .
3. In both eliminating games, he had his worst performance of the series and had a -25 and -26

We need a big who can play strong defense and not vanish in big games. Not sure he is worthy of a treasure chest of picks and youth. He will surely not put us over the top vs the top teams in our conference. I would pass if the demand is multiple firsts and our youth.

Yeah, I remember the Toronto-Orlando playoff series a couple of years ago, where Marc Gasol totally owned him.  Made Vuc look kind of small.  I imagine Embiid will too.  I like Vuc, but really have little interest in trading for him. I prefer our current center rotation. Focus on 3/4 swing guy like Barnes. Offer a lot of  picks but keep our young talent.  They should only be available for a star caliber player.

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 09:56:58 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Reminds me of the Joe Johnson trade.
Big difference is Rodney and Delk were career role players while the guys we are talking about are former all Stars, near all star, and leaders for their clubs.

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2021, 10:01:16 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Looking at it from the other side.

I don't want to issue a blanket no trade policy on all of our young players because some great trades were made with "potential" for established.

I think it's fine to trade them if you get a player that can help the team win a title.

I don't know if Robert, as a starter helps win a title, but am willing to estimate he might.

I am in the "good sized power forward that can shoot three pointers" group. I know that the top ones would require trading half of the team, but, I'm sure Ainge has someone on a list who he can pick up that "completes the puzzle."

If you have Robert and his blazing outside shooting ability?
You need to have an upgrade from Theis to play next to him and offer a reasonable three point threat. You guys know who those guys are.

The basic is I don't see why Ainge should trade these young guys unless the result is an available player who puts us over the top...I don't see Vucevic as that guy although he looks like a fit.

A player who isn't a top line defender is ok, it's just the Celtics have a defensive tradition and guys who are weak on defense just put pressure on their team mates....in the playoffs.

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2021, 10:18:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
You don't trade them for a rental.   

But if there is a player that can help this season and next, then yes, pull the trigger. 

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2021, 11:54:55 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I think one important point of the article is that you can't lump guys like Romeo or Nesmith (late lottery picks) with guys like Grant Williams, Carson Edwards, etc. (late first round/ second round picks) because they were picked high for a reason, and need time to develop before you can really assess their value.

You can't lump guys together regardless of their draft position. Everyone has their own trajectory.

Fans seem to have forgotten how much Grant Williams contributed to the ECF run last season - he played rotation minutes as a rookie.

Langford is like Robert Williams in that he has intriguing talent but due to injury has had little time to develop and improve.  He might as well be a rookie for the amount of time he has missed.   

He hasn't gotten court time, but apart from that he's getting a lot of time to develop and improve since he doesn't have to travel with the team. In fact, he'd better be working doggedly on his game because he's got competition.

I'm encouraged that you find him to have "intriguing talent", because what he did well last year is mostly not the kind of thing that's being seen by fans.

He was a really poor shooter - no way to sugarcoat it. Since his main competition is Aaron Nesmith, who's already shooting at decent rates, he's got some ways to go. I would agree that shooting is not everything (though it's the most valuable NBA skill); but management has to look at how players complement each other also. A big breakthrough in shooting (and Romeo needs a big one) would give him a more secure future with Boston, since it would make him more complementary to the team's stars.

So would moving the ball and making a play. He showed very little ability at making plays for teammates in his rookie year (Short-term, at least, getting more of that is an urgent matter for the team, which likely will make it harder for him to get on the court once he does come back.)

He plays physical defense, gives up his body, and anticipates well (taking charges is the quickest way to a coach's heart); he'll be a very good defender in his career.

He's got an ability to put it on the deck and draw fouls; he was a C+ FT shooter, but that will surely improve.

I hear people suggest that he's injury-prone. I don't put too much store in that, though it's ironically a wrist injury that's keeping him out, since shooting is the critical thing for him to level up.

Trade packages involving Rob Williams on this board a year ago, or even at the start of the year, treated him like a throw in, salary filler.  His value to the team has obviously outperformed that marker quite significantly. Why? Because he has finally gotten minutes to show what he can do, reduce his mistakes, and get better. 

Unfortunately Rob has not improved his Turnover% this season - at least not yet. The big problem is bad passes - he's a brilliant passer (and a willing one), but he's impulsive. Brad asks two things of everyone: work like hell on defense, and take care of the ball. TL has been acknowledged recently for his aggressiveness on D; he's just got to value the ball more.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:10:46 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2021, 04:32:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No one and I mean no one would miss Romeo he has been so unreliable thus far.

Fans seem to have forgotten how much Grant Williams contributed to the ECF run last season - he played rotation minutes as a rookie.

I think his contributions were vastly overstated.   You do realize that some people thought he would start which is simply absurd.   He is a 10th-12th rotation level player.   Too small to guard the rim, too slow to guard the perimeter and lacks length and athletic ability.   He can shoot a bit but his rebounding is beyond bad.   Other teams target him when he is out there and I don't think using him strengthens your argument.

Look at all the times DA held onto his assets for the right deal.   It never came and we ended up with low picks that give us a dicey bench.

I think Rob should not be traded.   Vast potential.   I think Nesmith has some potential too, 41" vertical and Romeo has a 42" I've heard.   But out of those three Rob would be the only one I would lament seeing go.

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2021, 04:42:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No one and I mean no one would miss Romeo he has been so unreliable thus far.

I think his contributions were vastly overstated.   You do realize that some people thought he would start which is simply absurd.   He is a 10th-12th rotation level player.   Too small to guard the rim, too slow to guard the perimeter and lacks length and athletic ability.   He can shoot a bit but his rebounding is beyond bad.   Other teams target him when he is out there and I don't think using him strengthens your argument.

Look at all the times DA held onto his assets for the right deal.   It never came and we ended up with low picks that give us a dicey bench.

I think Rob should not be traded.   Vast potential.   I think Nesmith has some potential too, 41" vertical and Romeo has a 42" I've heard.   But out of those three Rob would be the only one I would lament seeing go.
At the beginning of last year when Timelord got hurt and it looked like he was going to miss significant time, many were saying the same thing about him that you are saying about Romeo. Maybe moreso because Williams was a very late pick.

Moral of the story, don't prejudge guys that miss a lot of time their first couple years in the pros. They may turn around and before their rookie deal is through, they could suddenly look like it would be a very bad idea to trade them.

Now before people call me a hypocrite because at times I have said maybe it's best to turn the Nesmith and Romeo into vets that can be reliable and productive, know it would have to be the right deal to do it, not just moving them for some vet min type player. That's what Carsen Edwards is for.

Also, Grant Williams is actually athletic, he just has a body and athleticism more geared to football than basketball. As a TE or a linebacker, Grant would be considered a very athletic baller.

Grant Williams is not a Big Baby Davis type. Far from it.

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 09:31:56 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I agree with keeping them. If the Nets add a center which they will we are not coming out of the east no way with a Harrison Barnes and Vuc. The Nets have three top 50 players of all time. KI who i don't like is now in his prime. Let's wait till off season to see if we can get Beal somehow.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 09:48:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I agree with keeping them. If the Nets add a center which they will we are not coming out of the east no way with a Harrison Barnes and Vuc. The Nets have three top 50 players of all time. KI who i don't like is now in his prime. Let's wait till off season to see if we can get Beal somehow.

except it is easier to get a player like Beal with Barnes contract then with the TPE.  In fact, you can't with the TPE.   

But a large contract like Barnes plus picks and young players, maybe.   (not likely)