Author Topic: Chad Finn: Don't Trade Rob, Romeo or Aaron for Quick Fix  (Read 7557 times)

Chad Finn: Don't Trade Rob, Romeo or Aaron for Quick Fix
« on: March 08, 2021, 07:32:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Chad Finn of Boston.com says Danny would be better served NOT trading Rob Williams, Romeo Langford or Aaron Nesmith.

On Williams:

"I doubt I’m alone in resisting any suggestion that the Celtics should be willing to give up Robert Williams III in a deal for a player like Vucevic. Watching Williams’s ascent – as an overall player, and in the micro sense, when he rises up to swat a shot or finish off an alley-oop – has been the most satisfying aspect of this weird season so far. In his third season, Williams is more than a fan favorite. He’s becoming a weapon. It’s almost as if he’s rewarding patience."

On Romeo:

"Langford’s injuries are troubling, but even in limited time as a rookie, he was a willing defender and smooth slasher to the hoop. Brad Stevens was prepared to give him a major chance in the Eastern Conference Finals against the Heat, bringing him into Game 2 against the Heat less than five minutes into the game. He lasted 81 seconds before tearing an adductor muscle that ended his season. But there are real signs that he can be the wing help to complement Tatum and Brown in the coming years."

On Nesmith:

"He’s struggled with his shot (39.7 percent) and tends to get lost on defense, but he hustles, and once the game slows down for him a little bit, he’s going to be a quality 3-and-D player. We’ve seen signs – he had 13 points in 14 minutes recently against the Hawks. He would have benefited greatly from summer ball and a normal training camp. It makes sense that the adjustment to the pro game has been easier for Payton Pritchard, a four-year starter in college."

Envisioning future role of Nesmith and Langford on the Celtics:

"Langford and Nesmith can become important contributors to the Celtics when Brown and Tatum are the heart of their prime in a couple of years. It takes time with all young players. Chauncey Billups bounced from Boston to Toronto to Denver to Orlando to Minnesota before becoming Mr. Big Shot with the Pistons.

The 2001 Celtics traded rookie Joe Johnson, who showed flashes of excellence some nights and was unnoticeable on others, to the Suns for Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers. Delk and Rogers helped the Celtics reach the conference finals. Johnson, the 10th pick in the ’01 Draft, made seven All-Star teams in 17 seasons.

I’m not saying Langford and Nesmith will ever be at that level. But I think sometimes fans lump them in with the later picks on the roster – Grant Williams, Tremont Waters, Carsen Edwards, etc. – when they have far more promise and basketball pedigree."

I agree with him.  Fans are too eager to trade recently drafted high picks for a quick fix. It is very short-sighted, and more often than not backfires, as by the examples given above.  I think Danny is of the same mind-set.  Unless the guy we are trying to get is a real star (e.g. Ray Allen, KG or Kyrie), Danny is unlikely to give up young guys who were drafted high and still in development. I hope he continues to maintain that discipline.

Article link is below:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2021/03/08/danny-ainge-shouldnt-mortgage-the-celtics-future-trying-to-save-this-season

Re: Chad Finn: Don't Trade Rob, Romeo or Aaron for Quick Fix
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 07:37:21 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I agree on Timelord and possibly Nesmith (but it depends on the other player). But Romeo? Hell he will be negotiating his next contract before we see him play in a half dozen games. I trade him in a heartbeat.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 07:50:26 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
If u keep hanging on to prospects and wait till they get better than getting a proven all star than u not going anywhere soon if ever..prospects are just that..may make it or they made not but u already know what u getting in a proven player like Vucevic
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 07:54:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Those guys aren't going to bring back anyone that would elevate Boston into true contender status so there really isn't any point in trading them unless they are a part of a much larger trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 07:56:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Definitely. Agree with everything about the youth.

I disagree with the idea that Vucevic is a quick fix though. He is an All-Star caliber big man who fits perfectly with our offensive needs and faults us back into contention in the East. He is a player worth giving up valuable assets for.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 08:32:56 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I agree on Timelord and possibly Nesmith (but it depends on the other player). But Romeo? Hell he will be negotiating his next contract before we see him play in a half dozen games. I trade him in a heartbeat.

Way too early still to write Romeo off.  It took plenty of others Bradley and Rozier examples of recent past a little while to get going. 

We have seen so little of Nesmith and Langford that only Ainge and the coaching staff really only have a good feel how good they can be.  We can mostly only speculate.  I trust Ainge to make the right call if one is to be included in a big trade for example holding onto Rondo and trading Telfair, and not doing the reverse before his time trading away Joe Johnson but keeping Kedrick Brown.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 08:37:15 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Those guys aren't going to bring back anyone that would elevate Boston into true contender status so there really isn't any point in trading them unless they are a part of a much larger trade.

These are my thoughts as well. Let's see what we have with the young guys this year, annoying fans be [danged].

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 08:47:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I would absolutely trade Nesmith in a deal for someone who could be a #3-4 player for us for the next season plus, because I don’t see him being a contributor during that time.  Rob is ready to help now, so you’d lose something useful today in moving him.  I think Romeo will also be ready before the year is done, and he has a far greater ceiling than Nesmith if these injury issues can be overcome.  There are multiple Nesmiths available every draft, and if he can bring something immediately useful, he should be dealt.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 09:05:57 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I'd be very careful about sending TL anywhere for a minor or medium trade including Vuc (which would have to include Smart too) I suspect TL's getting a reputation around the NBA. His development was part of the reason for the 2 big lineups that I had questioned earlier in the year and it's probable BS and DA knew something I didn't.

The thought has crossed my mind recently that IF there had been a possible GH deal with Indiana, TL's development may have played a part in the Cs thinking in rejecting the offer. OTOH, Turner's Real +/- wasn't worth the money he was getting paid for in 2019-20, ranked 23rd behind such players like Lyles, WCStein, Noel, Kantar, and way behind DT, all of whom made far less.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 09:08:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta keep Timelord, his potential is off the charts.

Nesmith and Langford could be very good prospects, but if you can move them for someone you hope they become, I say do it.

Turn the potential into consistent production.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 09:33:53 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Rob if remains healthy and continues to improve , will blow past another old worn out center in a couple years if not sooner .    Many of these old pros are just former shells of themselves and we often more times than not wind up being disappointed.

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 09:36:04 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Lol
If Ainge continues to wait on development the players who have developed will be forming a dream team with Beal and any other swinging d!ck they might be friends with in a few years

Make a deal to help out the players who have gotten you to this point

Veteran point guard
Veteran bench depth

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 09:45:26 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Celtics Strong: we need shooters!!!

Also Celtics Strong: check out my trade proposal that sends out Jaylen Brown, Nesmith, Langford, and a 1st for Vucevic

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 09:56:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It depends on what’s meant by a “quick fix”.  I’m not sure that Vuc fits that description.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 10:31:51 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Gotta keep Timelord, his potential is off the charts.

Nesmith and Langford could be very good prospects, but if you can move them for someone you hope they become, I say do it.

Turn the potential into consistent production.

Very sensible, hard to disagree.

That said, a young player with the potential to become what you hope, whom you can nurture in your culture, who grows up with the stars you want to complement - meanwhile being cost-controlled - is an investment in the long-term future of your franchise.

I can see it both ways.

Chad Finn in the quotation above claims that Nesmith has “struggled” with his shot - no, not true. This is the deception of the FG% stat rearing its ugly head again. He’s shot .354 from three and 8/15 from two. Those are good numbers, especially for a rookie who’s getting wildly inconsistent minutes - not at all “struggling”, in any case. His shooting looks better still when you get a good look at his actual shots, at his shot-making skills.

To guys like Chad Finn: get your freaking face out of the stat sheets and look at the game!

The consequence of accumulating all those draft picks in the last few years has been a very young roster. Will management keep Nesmith or Langford? - because keeping both looks like an extravagance. Does anyone doubt it? Aaron Nesmith will be one of the top shooters in the league, and an ideal complement to the two Jays.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021