Author Topic: Porzingis?  (Read 4751 times)

Re: Porzingis?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 12:23:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
People on this board have seemed to written off the ability of Kemba and Jaylen to ever be what they ever were before, once they heard about extremely manageable ailments, like arthritis and tendonitis, that you can play through and play like All-NBA players with.

I can't imagine this blog's reaction when Porzingas starts missing 20, 30, 40 games a year due to his debilitating lower leg injuries he has as a 7 foot plus freak. How many super big guys that get those lower extremity issues end up having long productive careers once those problems start?

An EXTREMELY hard pass on Porzingas, if only for the sake of the collective sanity of this blog.
I have no idea how are people writing Brown off because he has tendonitis that he's able to play through at a really high level almost immediately at the ripe old age of 24 - it would be concerning if he had to miss a couple of weeks as a 30 year old, but this isn't the case at all.
It's crazy! Tendonitis is not the end of a career
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 02:37:50 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
People on this board have seemed to written off the ability of Kemba and Jaylen to ever be what they ever were before, once they heard about extremely manageable ailments, like arthritis and tendonitis, that you can play through and play like All-NBA players with.

I can't imagine this blog's reaction when Porzingas starts missing 20, 30, 40 games a year due to his debilitating lower leg injuries he has as a 7 foot plus freak. How many super big guys that get those lower extremity issues end up having long productive careers once those problems start?

An EXTREMELY hard pass on Porzingas, if only for the sake of the collective sanity of this blog.
I have no idea how are people writing Brown off because he has tendonitis that he's able to play through at a really high level almost immediately at the ripe old age of 24 - it would be concerning if he had to miss a couple of weeks as a 30 year old, but this isn't the case at all.
Who wrote Brown off? You guys are making stuff up. Saying that he'll have to adjust his game (which is already happening) is very different from writing him off.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 02:50:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Who wrote Brown off? You guys are making stuff up. Saying that he'll have to adjust his game (which is already happening) is very different from writing him off.
My comment was about several posts from different people who have made over the top takes on the matter. I wasn't really discussing your post.

But, regarding your post, yeah, Brown is adjusting because his tendonitis is currently flaring up. There will be times when it's not flaring up and he is not going to have to be worried about any limitations due to his condition. Heck, he might go years before it flares up again.

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 03:02:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Just as fictional as saying Brown has peaked because he has tendonitis. We've seen numerous players go on to improve after developing tendonitis, and given JB has improved every year of his career I'd back his chances
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 03:52:14 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

My comment was about several posts from different people who have made over the top takes on the matter. I wasn't really discussing your post.

But, regarding your post, yeah, Brown is adjusting because his tendonitis is currently flaring up. There will be times when it's not flaring up and he is not going to have to be worried about any limitations due to his condition. Heck, he might go years before it flares up again.
Again, nobody wrote him off. I've never seen anybody arguing about this. You are the first one to bring it up, only to discredit a non-existent claim. Writing him off because of tendonitis would be utterly ridiculous. With all due respect, you guys are making stuff up.

Agreed on the second part of your post. Tendonitis is nothing serious. That said, it's definitely a source of discomfort. He has already lost 3 games this season with what was described as “knee soreness”. Chances are it won't go away easily, cause he ain't letting it heal. Recovery time may take months. It's totally possible he'll have to deal with it for plenty of his prime years. Here's a quote from Ainge:

“We’re concerned. Jaylen has tendonitis in his knee. We’re concerned about it. We’re doing everything we can. Giving him the two days rest isn’t going to cure it, it’s just going to lighten the load. We hear a lot about load-management, and load-management prevents tendinopathy. It’s interesting, in my career when I was playing 37, 36 minutes a game in my ’20s, that part of my career, I had the tendinitis pretty consistently. And once I started playing 22, 24 minutes a game later in my career in my ’30s, I didn’t have it anymore. So we’re keeping an eye on it. It’s a very common thing among NBA players, tendinitis in that patella tendon. We’ll just keep tabs on it the best we can and try to get the best version of Jaylen that we can have.”
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 04:20:29 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 08:30:32 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's interesting to see that the value of Porzingis has gone from a Jaylen-based deal to a Kemba-based deal. Not sure I'd want to deal Kemba for him, given his injury-issues, but he still is an enticing player. Also not sure why people are casually adding TL/Nesmith/Langford/1sts in a deal either. I'd almost think we should be the ones getting assets back; not the Mavs.

Anyway, the fit could be interesting for both teams (I know Luka is a PG, but he is the size of a Forward), but seems pretty unlikely given the circumstances with both players. I think both teams would feel they are taking too much of a chance.

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 09:08:52 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think it behooves us to get rid of Kemba for several reasons:

1. He has lingering health concerns that might not age well.
2. Even when healthy he is deficient of height and is a defensive liability.
3. We have a good up and coming ball handler in Payton Pritchard who seems to make the offense move better (certainly he has rhythm with RWIII).
4. He takes minutes from PP and Marcus Smart (when he is healthy) who brings a toughness to this team that is sorely lacking when he is out.

I think the trade idea above (centered on Kemba for Kristaps) makes sense for both teams.
It literally does not behoove us to move Kemba for a player that has a significantly larger injury history.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 11:02:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
It's interesting to see that the value of Porzingis has gone from a Jaylen-based deal to a Kemba-based deal. Not sure I'd want to deal Kemba for him, given his injury-issues, but he still is an enticing player. Also not sure why people are casually adding TL/Nesmith/Langford/1sts in a deal either. I'd almost think we should be the ones getting assets back; not the Mavs.

Anyway, the fit could be interesting for both teams (I know Luka is a PG, but he is the size of a Forward), but seems pretty unlikely given the circumstances with both players. I think both teams would feel they are taking too much of a chance.
Porzingis definitely has more injury concerns than Walker, but he is also a lot younger, plays a more important position, and has a comparable peak to this point with far more room to improve on it given he is still just 25.   They have both played 20 games this year (and KP played 1 more game last year) and are both currently playing.  Given Kemba's age, I think Porzingis has a bit more value.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 11:13:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Fwiw, Brown himself ain't exactly an ironman either. I would argue he ain't the same player since he got diagnosed with patellar tendonitis. He even admitted that he isn't 100% healthy.

''To me, being in the dunk contest wasn’t the best decision for me and my body at the time right now. (...) My eyes are down the stretch and getting 100 percent healthy which I haven’t been for a while and trying to continue to get better. (...) I don’t want to think about my knee or anything. It feels a lot better after a win of course''.

Imo, Brown has peaked. He's an explosive wing who's now trying to adjust his game because of tendonitis. It seems like he's passing the ball more. He's attacking the basket less frequently. He ain't attempting many dunks. This may be an ongoing issue for him throughout his career. Here's a quote from Ainge:

“We’re concerned. Jaylen has tendonitis in his knee. I played 14 years with tendonitis in my knee, it flares up, it just comes and goes.”

Brown is locked up for 4 seasons on a team friendly contract. Imo, his trade value will never be higher. Danny should always try to buy low and sell high. Wouldn't be against selling high on Brown. I'd only do it for Cunningham though. I'm a sucker for high BBIQ players.
'You guys are making stuff up!'

You literally said that you think he has peaked lol. Your post also seems to imply that his adjustment will be something long term rather than being something temporary with no mention or implication that tendonitis can be something easily manageable like you have been saying in this thread.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 12:38:50 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
'You guys are making stuff up!'

You literally said that you think he has peaked lol.
Yes, I believe he has probably peaked at an All-Star level. He's arguably a top ~25 player in the league (possibly even better)! How is this writing him off?

Your post also seems to imply that his adjustment will be something long term rather than being something temporary with no mention or implication that tendonitis can be something easily manageable like you have been saying in this thread.
Yes, I believe it's totally possible he'll have to deal with tendonitis for years to come. It's a minor issue, but it ain't easy to heal, especially since he's constantly playing games. Fwiw, I said basically the same thing in both threads.

This may be an ongoing issue for him throughout his career.
It's totally possible he'll have to deal with it for plenty of his prime years.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 01:08:43 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2021, 09:42:51 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
I live in Arlington TX 30 miles from Big D and I watch the Mavs all the time.  Stay away from Porzingus, he is injury prone!!!

A very good player when healthy but he can't be counted on to play 70 games a season.  Plus, he loves too shoot the long 3 instead of playing near the basket which he needs to do more of because of his height.

MikeB