Author Topic: Kemba’s got to go...  (Read 46854 times)

Re: Kemba’s got to go...
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2021, 01:31:11 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I feel that a lot of criticism directed at Kemba is based on his play while he's still acclimatising to NBA basketball this season - he was a very good passer last year who blended quick decision making and off-ball movement with his on-ball prowess.

I disagree. I don't think he was ever that good at any of that. He was just better at what he was always good at, which is making vicious start/stop moves and sticking shots.

He's not really a multiskilled player

« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2021, 01:36:47 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I feel that a lot of criticism directed at Kemba is based on his play while he's still acclimatising to NBA basketball this season - he was a very good passer last year who blended quick decision making and off-ball movement with his on-ball prowess.

I disagree. I don't think he was ever that good at any of that. He was just better at what he was always good at, which is making vicious start/stop moves and sticking shots.

He's not really a multiskilled player
We'll agree to disagree - he was definitely a multiskilled player even when he was hobbled in the playoffs last year (his pass to Theis in game 3 against Toronto really comes to mind for his passing and decision making, that was a fantastic play that no one else on our team could ever come up with).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2021, 03:15:29 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

I’m not sure a player can be considered a very good passer when averaging only 4 assists per game, especially When that player is a point guard.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2021, 03:19:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I’m not sure a player can be considered a very good passer when averaging only 4 assists per game, especially When the player is a point guard.

Very good sounds to me like a judgment of skill / ability, not volume.

Kemba's career Assist Percentage is 28.3%. For reference, Kyle Lowry is just a tick higher at 30.5%.

Kemba's career Turnover Percentage is 10.5%.  Chris Paul's career Turnover Percentage is 13.3%.

In other words, Kemba is a fairly willing passer for a starting point guard, and he's elite at not turning the ball over.

I would say that qualifies him as a good to very good ball handler and passer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2021, 03:29:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I’m not sure a player can be considered a very good passer when averaging only 4 assists per game, especially When the player is a point guard.

Very good sounds to me like a judgment of skill / ability, not volume.

Kemba's career Assist Percentage is 28.3%. For reference, Kyle Lowry is just a tick higher at 30.5%.

Kemba's career Turnover Percentage is 10.5%.  Chris Paul's career Turnover Percentage is 13.3%.

In other words, Kemba is a fairly willing passer for a starting point guard, and he's elite at not turning the ball over.

I would say that qualifies him as a good to very good ball handler and passer.

His assist to TO ratio is 2-1. He’s 27th is the league among PG’s in APG. Sorry, I just don’t think that’s very good.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2021, 03:40:56 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
The guys 30.  Danny picked him up to take the sting outta losing kyrie.  Danny is still trying to build a team based on name recognition.  If Kemba stays he needs to come off the bench or learn to pass.  We don’t need you driving through the trees and getting blocked at the rim.  Let the wings drive,  we need Pritchard in there who is a pass first pg.  wasn’t rondo a pass first pg?  How’d that pan out.  This team is built backwards.  Shoot first pgs and bigs that can’t rebound or defend.. and a coach that has no clue how to make any of it work...come on Ainge!

« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2021, 03:48:02 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
So is he just untradeable?   Could we get a late first?   Id just try to dump his salary to get more flexible going forward..

« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2021, 03:53:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
So is he just untradeable?   Could we get a late first?   Id just try to dump his salary to get more flexible going forward..

Why would anyone give up a first round pick for Kemba? He has a massive contract, knee issues, he’s playing really poorly and is on the wrong side of 30. He’s not untradeable, but the C’s would likely need to attach picks and/or players to entice a team to take on his contract.

« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2021, 04:02:57 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Why would anyone give up a first round pick for Kemba? He has a massive contract, knee issues, he’s playing really poorly and is on the wrong side of 30. He’s not untradeable, but the C’s would likely need to attach picks and/or players to entice a team to take on his contract.
Even if we “dump” his salary the we would still be very close to the cap next year so we won’t be able to achieve that much more with the flexibility of not having his contract on the capsheet.
Maybe try to trade him for 2-3 role players that are slightly overpaid. But I can not think of such role players ... maybe Bertrans and Kennard 

« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2021, 04:10:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

His assist to TO ratio is 2-1. He’s 27th is the league among PG’s in APG. Sorry, I just don’t think that’s very good.

Assist per game just isn't a particularly useful or informative stat.

As for Kemba's assist to turnover ratio, he's simply elite at protecting the ball.  There's no way around it.  He's not a prolific assist man, but that is not the same thing as being a "bad" passer.  In fact, that two aren't really related.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2021, 04:11:23 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
Man, the nba salary cap is obnoxious.

« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2021, 04:34:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Not sure I follow this, even this season, in 9 what are basically rehab games so far, he is 4.0/1.8 or 2.2 to 1.  Career he is 5.4/2.2 or 2.4 to 1.  Last season 4.8/1.6 or 3 to 1 Asst to TO Ratio.  I am not suggesting he is going to put up Chris Paul assist number (career 9.4/2.4 or 3.9 to 1) but he can create assists sufficiently.  Assists to me are an overblown stat anyway.  I would rather see good team passing than 1 player getting a heavy share of the total assists.

There has been some improvement in his 3pt shooting, 29% in Jan and up to 33% Feb.  I know, small sample size but he has looked better shooting it.  I think you can believe in the improvement trend on this.  To me though, the finishing at the rim has not been improving.  It continues to look like he is forcing those shots, just not feeling comfortable.

Kemba can be a useful player for us if he continues to improve which seems reasonable to expect.  He is both trying to find his rhythm and also his wind I suspect while also adjusting to his evolving role on within the team.   His trade potential is likely very low.  I would love to trade him for a reasonably serviceable Big but I don't see it.  And I also see no reason to just dump him mid season.  Better to dump him in the off season if it comes to that.

As I said, volume of assists is not a concern for me.  What is a concern is scoring efficiency.  He needs to get that up through more shot selectivity and better percentages.  That is how he can help the team the most.  Better shot selection means he is not settling for forced shots, he is passing the ball when he doesn't have a good shot, creating general team ball movement, and this may lead to more assists.  But he does not need to be out looking for assists.  It is fine to be looking for your shot, for good shots, otherwise, just keep the ball moving.  There is no reason for Kemba to be forcing shots (or trying to "force" assists).  Better to leave the shot forcing to Tatum and Brown when necessary.

« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2021, 04:58:11 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

If you try to deal him you'll get pennies on the dollar. - or as you mentioned, you'll have to attached assets in order to deal him.  Have to keep him at this point - and that's the better move anyway.

« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2021, 05:06:40 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If you try to deal him you'll get pennies on the dollar. - or as you mentioned, you'll have to attached assets in order to deal him.  Have to keep him at this point - and that's the better move anyway.
His contract can be used to match salaries but not this year. Maybe next year -> Kemba plus picks = 2 role players from a tanking team

« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2021, 05:22:03 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
His contract can be used to match salaries but not this year. Maybe next year -> Kemba plus picks = 2 role players from a tanking team
2 role players for a guy you were expecting to be one of your top 3 players is a talent downgrade. There's no other #1 PG on the roster unless you want to use Smart and walk the ball up.