Author Topic: Celtics (10-6) at Spurs (9-8) Game #17 1/27/21  (Read 28743 times)

Re: Celtics (10-6) at Spurs (9-8) Game #17 1/27/21
« Reply #360 on: January 28, 2021, 11:55:02 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
My takeaway from the Celtics TPE auditions tour is that Derozan has won the job. He would be a great fit with this group.

So who’s minutes would he take? Come playoff time Kemba,Smart,Brown, Tatum are playing 40mpg.

Smart, I’d assume. DD isn’t a sieve defensively and is a better scorer, shooter and play maker.

But it’s a pipe dream. Spurs aren’t buying out Derozan unless he asks out (which I doubt he will)
- LilRip

« Reply #361 on: January 28, 2021, 12:46:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
How many more years of this roller coaster with ainge creating bad rosters and Stevens having no clue how to manage before wyc says enough?  Gonna be a long year ::)

2 more seasons. It will be totally Tatum/Brown team... unless a trade comes earlier

Celts wont be able to overpay/afford to keep everyone.
Who do you think he should keep?
I’m in favor of smart and Theis. Everyone else I’m not sure. Timelord can go be a free electron on defense somewhere else. Kemba maybe back for the vet min in 3 years. My hope is on romeo that he will earn a $15M a year contract and same with Nesmith and Pritchard ( though I’m not as high on him but can see him earning a delavedova type deal $10M a yr)

I will have to disagree

Timelord has to be extended.  Yes he is not perfect but he has elite athleticism for a big and still growing as a player

I'm indifferent of keeping Smart and Theis. But reality is that both probably can't be brought back

Langford, Nesmith, Pritchard will also have bigger roles/shoulder more responsibility.   Yam Madar will also come into play.  Looks like an impressive prospect

So in 2 years the lineup I see Brad working with is

Timelord
Tatum
Brown
Langford/Nesmith
Pritchard

? /Tacko
Grant Williams/Semi (I would resign for cheap)
Langford/Nesmith
Green (resign for cheap)
Madar
We be a lottery team with that team

right right...so the team went on a 5 game winning streak earlier this season was by the sheer luck from the basketball Gods

Hoarding a team with too many mouths to feed is detrimental

Riding on the backs of Brown and Tatum with a proper supporting cast  (not hijacked by hero minded players) is what the team needs to move forward

« Reply #362 on: January 28, 2021, 12:58:54 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
There’s no way u gotta win with that team, none..Detroit would beat us with that team..got a D-league bench and a center who doesn’t know what he is doing half the time
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #363 on: January 28, 2021, 01:03:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
There’s no way u gotta win with that team, none..Detroit would beat us with that team..got a D-league bench and a center who doesn’t know what he is doing half the time

But Pistons did not.  Celts split vs Pistons

And again went on a 5 game winning streak prior to Kemba

You actually saw that Semi has some capability beyond a corner 3 pt shooter. 

Timelord can score 10-12 points when a true pg like Pritchard feeds him easy lobs

right now everything is hard due to this 1 on 1 iso painful basketball

« Reply #364 on: January 28, 2021, 01:53:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
My takeaway from the Celtics TPE auditions tour is that Derozan has won the job. He would be a great fit with this group.

Derozan ($27.7M) can't work.  We are hard capped.  And even if by some miracle, he is bought out by SAS, he would probably go to the Lakers for the min.  Rudy Gay (1 yr, $14M) would be the one from this roster we could trade for with the TPE, if you want him, and even then, I think we would need to clear a little salary somehow.  Rudy would be our swing PF, kind of like the role Marcus Morris played for us.  I think he could be useful but not a big difference maker at this point in his career.  Seems to be just going through the motions.

« Reply #365 on: January 28, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Derozan ($27.7M) can't work.  We are hard capped.  And even if by some miracle, he is bought out by SAS, he would probably go to the Lakers for the min.  Rudy Gay (1 yr, $14M) would be the one from this roster we could trade for with the TPE, if you want him, and even then, I think we would need to clear a little salary somehow.  Rudy would be our swing PF, kind of like the role Marcus Morris played for us.  I think he could be useful but not a big difference maker at this point in his career.  Seems to be just going through the motions.

I rather do nothing than bring in a guy like Rudy Gay. No thank you

« Reply #366 on: January 28, 2021, 02:25:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

We can easily make a move or two to clear enough salary first before trading for Derozan if we want to.

« Reply #367 on: January 28, 2021, 03:10:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't like DeRozan on this team.

There is one ball. Too many chefs in the kitchen sort of scenario. Kemba, DeRozan, Jaylen and Tatum. You can't keep all of those guys happy. Get them all the touches they need, the shots they need.

DeRozan is not the type of offensive player this team needs. He needs too large of a role offensively. They need someone who can settle into a smaller role where they can provide some tertiary offensive creation combined with a high efficiency off-ball threat. Someone who can play off of Kemba, Jaylen and Tatum.

« Reply #368 on: January 28, 2021, 03:15:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

There is one ball. Too many chefs in the kitchen sort of scenario. Kemba, DeRozan, Jaylen and Tatum. You can't keep all of those guys happy. Get them all the touches they need, the shots they need.

DeRozan is not the type of offensive player this team needs. He needs too large of a role offensively. They need someone who can settle into a smaller role where they can provide some tertiary offensive creation combined with a high efficiency off-ball threat. Someone who can play off of Kemba, Jaylen and Tatum.

what, you don't like overdone steak??  ;D

« Reply #369 on: January 28, 2021, 03:18:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I do like Derozan, in place of Walker and Smart for the current makeup of the team. Derozan has been passing out of his mind this season. And as we saw, still has it (clutch shotmaker)

that is medium rare +  glass of nice red wine

« Reply #370 on: January 28, 2021, 03:25:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I agree. This team has a lot of on the ball players(the Jays, Kemba, Smart, Pritchard, Teague). Their off the ball guys are where this team has problems. They need a couple of very reliable off ball three point shooters. A younger J.J. Redick or Harrison Barnes type experienced player is what, IMHO, this team needs.

« Reply #371 on: January 28, 2021, 04:25:44 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
Threw that one away. Thought Smart wasn't brilliant last night. Great game to watch though.