Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 71450 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #255 on: December 03, 2019, 07:43:25 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Going to throw out LaMarcus Aldridge's name.

He's under contract for the remainder of this season and next, so he wouldn't be a half-season rental.

He could be the missing piece to a trip to the finals.

Also, the Spurs are off to a lousy start, so they could be looking to sell at the trade deadline.

« Reply #256 on: December 03, 2019, 08:48:53 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
It's not only the Sixers and the Bucks, what if the Celts end up the #2 seed and the Nets the #7 seed.

Jarrett Allen and DeAndre Jordan will be a problem for the Celts.

And Detroit?  Blake Griffin and Andre Drummond are a pretty formidable front line (we shall see if Griffin stays healthy).  With Drummond getting all the rebounds, Griffin can focus on scoring.

« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
Myles Turner would be great. There even are some articles pushing trade ideas as legitimate rumors, but if he could be traded for without sacrificing nine of our core 5, I’d all for it, I think even with a MEM pick and then some :) I just am not sure, if IND is ready to ship Turner.
I don’t remember the source, but I read somewhere that they have been looking at A. Gordon - maybe a three teamer could be organized? This way Magic get some of our young guys and maybe lesser pick and Pacer get a starter and Grizzlies pick and maybe some more picks? Or Ojeleye in a sell-while-value-is-high move?
I doubt that it would be enough, though, and then there would be plenty of roster spots for buy out candidates to fill out the bench. This would set us up for the future so beautifully!

« Reply #258 on: December 03, 2019, 09:22:43 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

He's under contract for the remainder of this season and next, so he wouldn't be a half-season rental.

Also, the Spurs are off to a lousy start, so they could be looking to sell at the trade deadline.

Same problem as a lot of these guys, he makes too much money. Its near impossible to match his salary in a trade without sacrificing one of our core guys like Smart or Hayward.

« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2019, 09:33:28 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Same problem as a lot of these guys, he makes too much money. Its near impossible to match his salary in a trade without sacrificing one of our core guys like Smart or Hayward.

I agree.

Tatum, Kemba, Hayward, Brown, and Smart are untouchable.

It just doesn't make sense to trade any of those 5 core players.

Celts can only go as high as 18m, that's the limit.

Any player with a salary higher than 18m cannot be traded to the Celts.

« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2019, 09:50:44 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I don't know what the question is, but if Tristan Thompson is the answer, we have bigger problems.

And Miles Turner has frustrated Texas and Pacer fans for the last 5-6 years. He consistently tantalizes with the talent, but is wildly inconsistent. If Jaylen Brown has been the target of many fans on this forum, Miles Turner would be run out of town.

« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2019, 10:16:38 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I don't know what the question is, but if Tristan Thompson is the answer, we have bigger problems.

And Miles Turner has frustrated Texas and Pacer fans for the last 5-6 years. He consistently tantalizes with the talent, but is wildly inconsistent. If Jaylen Brown has been the target of many fans on this forum, Miles Turner would be run out of town.

Tristan could be the answer, not the answer.

Right now Celts still have options.

It really depends on what becomes available.

But if the question is do the Celts need a quality big man, yes, they do.

« Reply #262 on: December 04, 2019, 03:32:26 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

If we want to contend this season, we need a starting-caliber defensive Center. With this in mind, the question becomes rather obvious. It's basically the title of this thread: ''What are our big man options''?

Assuming we are asking the same question, then Tristan Thompson is definitely part of the answer. It's not about who would be the ideal target. It's about who might become available.

People keep saying that they don't like Turner/Thompson/whomever. Fair enough. Do you guys trust Theis to defend Giannis-BroLo/Horford-Embiid/Griffin-Drummond in the playoffs? If you don't, could you at least give us some names instead of Turner/Thompson/whomever?

We would all love the C's to trade for KAT. Good luck convincing the Wolves to trade him. Get over it people. It ain't gonna happen. Not this season anyway.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 03:48:58 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #263 on: December 04, 2019, 05:06:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
People keep saying that they don't like Turner/Thompson/whomever. Fair enough. Do you guys trust Theis to defend Giannis-BroLo/Horford-Embiid/Griffin-Drummond in the playoffs? If you don't, could you at least give us some names instead of Turner/Thompson/whomever?

Ainge likes his guys and he has not made a trade deadline trade of note for a while.    You ridicule, people for throwing out this name or that but I think that your idea is just as silly.    Who are you going to give up for him?   I doubt CBS or Ainge want the drama outside the game that he could bring to the team and we just got burnt by one of LeBron's sidekicks.

I also don't think we do it because he does not think we are one piece away.

« Reply #264 on: December 04, 2019, 05:48:01 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Ainge likes his guys and he has not made a trade deadline trade of note for a while.    You ridicule, people for throwing out this name or that but I think that your idea is just as silly.    Who are you going to give up for him?   I doubt CBS or Ainge want the drama outside the game that he could bring to the team and we just got burnt by one of LeBron's sidekicks.

I don't buy the narrative that Ainge is happy with Theis as our starting Center. I bet Ainge didn't expect Horford to jump ship last summer. At the end of the day, it seems that Theis was our best option at the time, given that Danny used all the cap space to go after Kemba.

You ridicule, people for throwing out this name or that but I think that your idea is just as silly.    Who are you going to give up for him?
Hopefully, we would give up no one for Thompson. I mentioned his name as a buyout candidate.
Chances are that we would have to give up one of our core guys for Turner.

For instance, Smart + Langford for Myles Turner.

Smart and Brown are my favourite Celtics right now. I absolutely love his game. He's our best defender and our best passer. Having said that, I would probably do that trade.

Kemba
Brown
Tatum
Hayward
Turner

That's a far more balanced team than the one that we have right now.

Btw, I never intended to ridicule people for throwing out names. I'm not a native speaker. It doesn't come natural to me to express myself in English. My apologies if it came across as if I'm dismissing their point of view.

Problem is, we can't possibly know what Danny thinks.

What do you think? Do you believe we have what it takes to beat the Bucks or the Sixers this season?

« Reply #265 on: December 04, 2019, 06:36:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hopefully, we would give up no one for Thompson. I mentioned his name as a buyout candidate.

We would need cap space to sign him, no?   Or could we just plunge into the luxury tax?

« Reply #266 on: December 04, 2019, 06:39:09 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I agree we can't go into the playoffs with Theis as the best Center.

It would be another 2nd round exit.

Danny Ainge is also so unpredictable, so we won't really know until Ainge pulls the trigger.

But I don't think Ainge will trade our 5 best players, Tatum, Kemba, Hayward, Brown, and Smart.

« Reply #267 on: December 04, 2019, 06:42:16 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

We would need cap space to sign him, no?   Or could we just plunge into the luxury tax?

Last season the Celts had the MLE to use on Kanter.
But Kanter chose the Blazers because of the promise of more playing time.

This season the Celts have no MLE or Room Exception to offer.
So the Celts are at a disadvantage when it comes to bidding for players who are bought out.

Only way the Celts will get the big they want is through a trade.

« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2019, 06:46:34 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Poeltl of the Spurs is also a good prospect that can help the Celts.

Just not sure if the Spurs will trade him.

« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2019, 06:51:08 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

No, we wouldn't. If he gets bought out by the Cavs (or any team for that matter), we can sign him via the minimum salary exception.

Last season the Celts had the MLE to use on Kanter.
But Kanter chose the Blazers because of the promise of more playing time.

This season the Celts have no MLE or Room Exception to offer.
So the Celts are at a disadvantage when it comes to bidding for players who are bought out.

Only way the Celts will get the big they want is through a trade.
You said it yourself. Kanter opted for the Blazers cause they promised him more playing time. That's our selling point this season. We need a starting-caliber defensive Center. If Thompson wants to play big minutes in the playoffs with a view to maximizing his value in free agency, we might be the ideal fit for him. Certainly a better fit than the Lakers.