Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 71377 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #405 on: January 24, 2020, 10:02:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Would Dedmon do anything for us?

He’s buried in Sacramento.
Yup

« Reply #406 on: January 24, 2020, 10:16:41 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I wonder how many fanbases in the league are like:

"Wow, I wonder what it would take to get Daniel Theis from the Celtics. Our team really needs a defensively versatile big man like Theis."

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty.  But none of the teams trying to compete for a title would be wanting him as their starting center.

And that's ultimately the problem.  We have two great situational backup centers, but no starting-caliber center.

« Reply #407 on: January 25, 2020, 06:08:39 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

"Wow, I wonder what it would take to get Daniel Theis from the Celtics. Our team really needs a defensively versatile big man like Theis."
How about none?

Since we were playing the Magic last night, I would argue that Theis is a Khem Birch level of player. No one is proposing a trade for Khem Birch. Likewise, no one is proposing a trade for Theis. Only difference is that Theis plays for a well-run team, hence his teammates/coaches make him look better than he actually is.

What exactly is Theis good at?

- above average shot blocker (2.5 blocks per 36 mins --> 14th in the league among qualified players)
- average rebounder (9.6 boards per 36 mins --> 49th in the league among qualified players)
- can be the roll man in pick n roll plays
- switches ball screens on D (which is rather obvious since he's undersized at the 5)

That's about it. Is this a legit starting-caliber big man (especially for a team that wants to make a deep playoff run)? There are numerous PFs-Cs who can do all those things. Not to mention, his blocking + rebounding stats are probably inflated cause he's playing next to an undersized 4 in Tatum.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:33:03 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #408 on: January 25, 2020, 07:14:24 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

How about none?

Since we were playing the Magic last night, I would argue that Theis is a Khem Birch level of player. No one is proposing a trade for Khem Birch. Likewise, no one is proposing a trade for Theis. Only difference is that Theis plays for a well-run team, hence his teammates/coaches make him look better than he actually is.

What exactly is Theis good at?

- above average shot blocker (2.5 blocks per 36 mins --> 14th in the league among qualified players)
- average rebounder (9.6 boards per 36 mins --> 49th in the league among qualified players)
- can be the roll man in pick n roll plays
- switches ball screens on D (which is rather obvious since he's undersized at the 5)

That's about it. Is this a legit starting-caliber big man (especially for a team that wants to make a deep playoff run)? There are numerous PFs-Cs who can do all those things. Not to mention, his blocking + rebounding stats are probably inflated cause he's playing next to an undersized 4 in Tatum.

Two things in fairness to Nick’s comment:
1) He said “fanbases” not “front offices”. 

2) He didn’t call DT a legit starting caliber big man. 

I do think fans could watch the Magic game (and frankly, he’s basically been this player this season) and conclude that he’d be a valuable and versatile rotation big.  You underestimate his value when you provide the litany of what he doesn’t do exceptionally well.   He has a couple of above average skills and a lot of average skills. But importantly, he’s consistent, he’s high energy on O and D and he appears to be a positive teammate. That’s enough for “fans” to have the thought that they'd like Theis on their team.  If I were watching Theis from an opposing fan perspective I might be thinking - I wonder if a late first and an expiring could get us this guy. 

« Reply #409 on: January 25, 2020, 07:24:53 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
None of these guys really excite me, especially with most of them either being on bad contracts, or costing too much to trade for. That only leaves Derrick Favors and Dewayne Dedmond, both which would fit nicely on our team. However, do either of those choices really raise our ceiling, compared to just rolling with Theis and Kanter?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #410 on: January 25, 2020, 07:31:18 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Favors has been disappointing this season. I was hoping he'd take a step forward switching back over to the center position. That he was older more mature. The league smaller. That he would fare better as an undersized center than he did several years ago before Gobert came along but Favors hasn't fared any better.

His defense is mediocre. His offense worse than before. He is shooting even less jump-shots than he was a couple of years ago becoming more of a garbage man type finisher reducing his advantages as a quicker undersized center. Not utilizing his driving capabilities well enough either.

Is Favors any better than Kanter?

I am not seeing it.

« Reply #411 on: January 25, 2020, 08:25:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Theis has done well thrust in the spotlight.

I think Harrell is the best option for us but how to get him is the question. 

« Reply #412 on: January 25, 2020, 09:40:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Favors has been disappointing this season. I was hoping he'd take a step forward switching back over to the center position. That he was older more mature. The league smaller. That he would fare better as an undersized center than he did several years ago before Gobert came along but Favors hasn't fared any better.

His defense is mediocre. His offense worse than before. He is shooting even less jump-shots than he was a couple of years ago becoming more of a garbage man type finisher reducing his advantages as a quicker undersized center. Not utilizing his driving capabilities well enough either.

Is Favors any better than Kanter?

I am not seeing it.
I sadly agree. I thought he might get close to the 16/8 guy he was in Utah for a couple of years prior to the outbreak of Gobert, but he’s become basically an upgraded version of Ed Davis
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #413 on: February 03, 2020, 01:17:26 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
What about Noah Vonleh? He has a solid year for the Knicks but he isnt getting much action this season. He is only 2-14 from deep this year but has shot over 30% most of his career (33.6 last season). Solid defense and size. Could be a good bench player and wouldn't cost much. Trade Poirer plus the Milwaukee pick?

« Reply #414 on: February 03, 2020, 04:52:19 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=tnvt2sw

Would love to see some of that late first round draft pick wealth get flipped for more bench help.