Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 71862 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #345 on: December 26, 2019, 08:03:40 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Kind of like the idea of Jakob Poeltl, big body pretty good defensively doesn't need a ton of touches on offense. He's in the last year of his rookie deal (2016 draft) so his contract is match able with our secondary contracts. Not a huge upgrade but does something the C's need.

Absolutely!

I think some of the posters here just don't know who Poeltl is.

The good thing about Poeltl is he won't cost the Celts any of the core 5 and the Celts get to keep Theis, Kanter, and RWill.

« Reply #346 on: December 26, 2019, 09:05:26 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Kind of like the idea of Jakob Poeltl, big body pretty good defensively doesn't need a ton of touches on offense. He's in the last year of his rookie deal (2016 draft) so his contract is match able with our secondary contracts. Not a huge upgrade but does something the C's need.

Absolutely!

The good thing about Poeltl is he won't cost the Celts any of the core 5 and the Celts get to keep Theis, Kanter, and RWill.

Maybe. You might be right, but I get the sense the Spurs really like Poeltl. He was the key young asset in the deal for Leonard.

They like his play. He's a defensive anchor in their system. And, I think they can resign him at a discount this off-season while he keeps developing.

The Spurs are doing a worse job of the Celtics plan -- develop young players while keeping veterans that are high-level players. I think they view Poeltl, Murray, Walker, and White as their young core to develop for the future.

I think it's far more like they sell on DeRozan and Aldridge and continue to build around that young core.

« Reply #347 on: December 26, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
why all the hate for " sum young guy ".... no votes. :(

he is playing his butt off in the Chinese league

« Reply #348 on: December 26, 2019, 09:50:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Absolutely!

Maybe. You might be right, but I get the sense the Spurs really like Poeltl. He was the key young asset in the deal for Leonard.

They like his play. He's a defensive anchor in their system. And, I think they can resign him at a discount this off-season while he keeps developing.

The Spurs are doing a worse job of the Celtics plan -- develop young players while keeping veterans that are high-level players. I think they view Poeltl, Murray, Walker, and White as their young core to develop for the future.

I think it's far more like they sell on DeRozan and Aldridge and continue to build around that young core.

Yeah, the Cs have better all-star level veterans and better young guys. When last year's experiment failed, the Cs just transitioned to more of a focus on their real core and brought in better pieces to fit around them; SA doesn't really have that option. They should totally sell on DeRozan and Aldridge. I have to imagine that's a worst case scenario with Pop there as I can't imagine he wants to wait out another rebuild.

As for Poetl, I wouldn't mind acquiring him, but having Theis, Kanter, RWIII, and Poetl would be a little too much and I don't know that I want to give up any of those three for him.

« Reply #349 on: December 26, 2019, 09:52:26 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Watching Poetl against Dallas tonight and not seeing how he makes us better than we are with Theis and Kanter. He’s a beanpole, has slow feet, can’t shoot free throws (58% on the year).

To me, if you want a big it’s to compete with Embiid and Sabonis. Really can’t see Poetl helping with either.

« Reply #350 on: December 26, 2019, 09:53:51 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Absolutely!

That could be the case, they'd want to keep him for the same reasons the C's would want him. My thinking is maybe if you are starting a rebuild you dont want to wrap money up in paying a center who has played only about 18 minutes a game this year. but the C's would have to give up some value for sure.

« Reply #351 on: December 26, 2019, 10:29:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm more of letting things play out for now and let the other teams follow our lead.

The 3 headed wing approach is something only our team can boast of and besides, Theis is doing a grand job with Kanter in holding the Fort of our front line.

Well, I'd caution that the Clippers are the one other team that can put 3 top-tier wings on the floor, with Kawhi, George and Harkless.

But otherwise, yup.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #352 on: December 26, 2019, 11:50:12 PM »

• Paul Silas
I'm more of letting things play out for now and let the other teams follow our lead.

The 3 headed wing approach is something only our team can boast of and besides, Theis is doing a grand job with Kanter in holding the Fort of our front line.

Well, I'd caution that the Clippers are the one other team that can put 3 top-tier wings on the floor, with Kawhi, George and Harkless.

But otherwise, yup.

Harkless is just a guy. He's not really a high level talent--more like trade fodder. 6ppg, 4 rpg, 1apg in 23 mpg.

« Reply #353 on: December 27, 2019, 12:35:41 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

But otherwise, yup.

Harkless is just a guy. He's not really a high level talent--more like trade fodder. 6ppg, 4 rpg, 1apg in 23 mpg.

Well, yeah, he's not a big offensive producer,  but he is an excellent wing defender and my point is that LAC does deploy him alongside Kawhi and George a lot in a 3-wing lineup (their most-used lineup is those 3 guys plus Beverly & Zubac).  And they (when healthy) would be one of the few teams that would be able to deploy 3 wing defenders to match our (when healthy) 3-wing lineups.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #354 on: December 27, 2019, 12:42:01 AM »

• Paul Silas

But otherwise, yup.

Well, yeah, he's not a big offensive producer,  but he is an excellent wing defender and my point is that LAC does deploy him alongside Kawhi and George a lot in a 3-wing lineup (their most-used lineup is those 3 guys plus Beverly & Zubac).  And they (when healthy) would be one of the few teams that would be able to deploy 3 wing defenders to match our (when healthy) 3-wing lineups.

I get you. Leonard and George are both really good (although George is probably a bit overrated this year so far).

For whatever reason, a narrative has switched on Harkless. I'll admit I haven't watch a lot of Portland the last few years, but when I did, he was not impressive. He's fine. He's not a bad defensive player, but he also isn't a good one. He's got decent size, but he doesn't make a lot of plays.

« Reply #355 on: December 27, 2019, 01:14:35 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Watching Poetl against Dallas tonight and not seeing how he makes us better than we are with Theis and Kanter. He’s a beanpole, has slow feet, can’t shoot free throws (58% on the year).

To me, if you want a big it’s to compete with Embiid and Sabonis. Really can’t see Poetl helping with either.

I mean the last time we saw Poetl, Robert Williams outplayed him thoroughly. There's no obtainable Big that will really make a difference. Closest thing is probably Baynes but it takes a miracle to acquire him.

Also those guys who want to trade Hayward for Drummond.Have you watched Drummond vs Embiid? Embiid just toys with him in and out of the game.

« Reply #356 on: December 27, 2019, 02:59:37 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
The trade should be Drummond for Marcus, Kanter, Langford and Portier

« Reply #357 on: December 27, 2019, 03:06:23 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #358 on: December 27, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Just read that Dedmon is asking for a trade out of Sacramento...
Multiple teams submitted offers. I hope Danny is not trying to trade for him

« Reply #359 on: December 27, 2019, 02:12:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I just realized, Kenneth Faried is still available? How about him as a mid-season signing.

He played with the Rockets (and did well) but surprisingly still remains a FA. He signed with a Chinese team but apparently the deal didn't go through, so he's still out there. He'd be real solid depth with some upside in our frontcourt.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller