Author Topic: If the Celts are going to make a blockbuster...  (Read 37917 times)

Re: If the Celts are going to make a blockbuster...
« Reply #270 on: December 12, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Enough with the "do you watch the games" stuff. Clearly, we are all fans and all watch the games. We can all agree to disagree without trying to claim superiority on a subject by questioning whether people are watching the games.

« Reply #271 on: December 12, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This will all be settled once and for all if Ainge makes a move or not.

If Ainge makes a trade then I was right in saying the Celts need an upgrade.

But if Ainge does not make a trade then I was wrong.

Right now it's very clear the Celts have a big man problem.

Let's see what Ainge does.
uh, no.  that's not how logical reasoning works.

point A:  everyone's pretty much in agreement we'd like a better center.  Doesn't make you right and everyone else wrong when everyone agrees on the same basic point.
point B:  a trade for the big man you covet may not present itself at a reasonable cost.  Doesn't mean an upgrade isn't needed or wanted, just not feasible in the timeframe you want.
point C: this team has posted an impressive record with a host of health issues so far this season and with the current assortment of centers we already have.  a need for a better big man may not be as pressing or dire as you think it is.

C: You just have to watch the games and see what happens when non-All-Star bigs like Jarrett Allen and Sabonis suddenly play like All-Stars when they're facing the Celtics.

B: I'm no longer coveting anyone in particular
As long as the Celts trade for a better big man period!

A: Some here don't think Ainge will make a trade this season.
So saying that everybody is in agreement that we need a better Center is not true.

Celts have the assets and have enough salaries to make a trade work.
So why will Ainge not make a move to improve the team?

Thinking that Danny will not/should not make a deal does not mean that you think the Celtics don't need an upgrade at Center to win a championship.

The issue is that there is no reasonable deal that can happen this season that would be worth the cost. There's no magic deal that is going to make us a legit title contender this year, especially since (as has been mentioned countless times) a trade for any high-impact/salary player requires trading too many players for a deal to be even remotely possible during the season. Teams aren't going to make a 5-for-1 deal in the regular season

If the Celtics want to win a championship, they need an upgrade at Center (through trade, FA, draft, or development), but that isn't going to happen this season. A buyout giving us a minor boost, or Timelord/Theis developing is the most that will happen
I'm bitter.

« Reply #272 on: December 12, 2019, 10:48:39 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
This will all be settled once and for all if Ainge makes a move or not.

If Ainge makes a trade then I was right in saying the Celts need an upgrade.

But if Ainge does not make a trade then I was wrong.

Right now it's very clear the Celts have a big man problem.

Let's see what Ainge does.
uh, no.  that's not how logical reasoning works.

point A:  everyone's pretty much in agreement we'd like a better center.  Doesn't make you right and everyone else wrong when everyone agrees on the same basic point.
point B:  a trade for the big man you covet may not present itself at a reasonable cost.  Doesn't mean an upgrade isn't needed or wanted, just not feasible in the timeframe you want.
point C: this team has posted an impressive record with a host of health issues so far this season and with the current assortment of centers we already have.  a need for a better big man may not be as pressing or dire as you think it is.

C: You just have to watch the games and see what happens when non-All-Star bigs like Jarrett Allen and Sabonis suddenly play like All-Stars when they're facing the Celtics.

B: I'm no longer coveting anyone in particular
As long as the Celts trade for a better big man period!

A: Some here don't think Ainge will make a trade this season.
So saying that everybody is in agreement that we need a better Center is not true.

Celts have the assets and have enough salaries to make a trade work.
So why will Ainge not make a move to improve the team?

Thinking that Danny will not/should not make a deal does not mean that you think the Celtics don't need an upgrade at Center to win a championship.

The issue is that there is no reasonable deal that can happen this season that would be worth the cost. There's no magic deal that is going to make us a legit title contender this year, especially since (as has been mentioned countless times) a trade for any high-impact/salary player requires trading too many players for a deal to be even remotely possible during the season. Teams aren't going to make a 5-for-1 deal in the regular season

If the Celtics want to win a championship, they need an upgrade at Center (through trade, FA, draft, or development), but that isn't going to happen this season. A buyout giving us a minor boost, or Timelord/Theis developing is the most that will happen

I disagree.

Ainge can upgrade the team this season.
Celts have the assets.
It's not like the Celts don't have the picks, players, and enough salaries to make a trade work.

Also, Celts just lost back to back games to big teams, Philly and Indy.

Philly was without Horford, but Embiid dominated with 38 points and 13 rebounds.
Embiid also blocked Theis' dunk with 10 secs left.

Celts are now suddenly out of the top 3 in the east.

« Reply #273 on: December 13, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I said before the season we are 4th best in East behind Mil, 76ers and Indy..what they have that we dont? Legit bigs as we all know and it show last 2 nights
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #274 on: December 13, 2019, 10:17:38 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Slightly off-topic, but stay with me, if the Memphis pick conveys this year (I, like many others are hoping it will defer to next year when it's unprotected-- in fact I want it so much I don't even consider it conveying this June as a possibility) then we could possibly be looking at the 7, 8, or 9th pick in the draft.

That could end up being a HUGE piece of the puzzle for this team going forward.  If the pick is not traded "in a blockbuster deal this season" (see I got back on track!) we could have a stud and potential starter/6th man added to the squad.

Imagine a Lauri Markkanen type young guy coming off the bench next year.  While this season might end in the 2nd round of the playoffs, next year could be fantastic.

« Reply #275 on: December 13, 2019, 10:31:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Enough with the "do you watch the games" stuff. Clearly, we are all fans and all watch the games. We can all agree to disagree without trying to claim superiority on a subject by questioning whether people are watching the games.

Clearly, this Nick guy doesn't watch any of the games, making a stupid comment like that.

Sorry, thought I'd add a little levity here, we're all a bit bummed with the Philly loss last night.

Happy Holidays, All!  Remember, we all (well, mostly all) root for the same team!!

« Reply #276 on: December 13, 2019, 10:34:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If you're going out of your way to post regularly (or not so regularly) on a basketball-centric messageboard, odds are that you're actually watching the majority of games.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #277 on: December 13, 2019, 10:45:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Slightly off-topic, but stay with me, if the Memphis pick conveys this year (I, like many others are hoping it will defer to next year when it's unprotected-- in fact I want it so much I don't even consider it conveying this June as a possibility) then we could possibly be looking at the 7, 8, or 9th pick in the draft.

That could end up being a HUGE piece of the puzzle for this team going forward.  If the pick is not traded "in a blockbuster deal this season" (see I got back on track!) we could have a stud and potential starter/6th man added to the squad.

Imagine a Lauri Markkanen type young guy coming off the bench next year.  While this season might end in the 2nd round of the playoffs, next year could be fantastic.
Absolutely. The guys I'm hoping we can select at 7-9 are Deni Avidja and Isaac Okoro. We might as well just start overwhelming teams with 1 guard+4 wing lineups lol, and Okoro has the strength and athleticism to Tuckwagon the centre spot for stretches if we decide to go down that route.

Avidja would probably be the bench forward we need who can playmake and create in an on-ball/off-ball hybrid skillset, I'd love to have a homeless man's Doncic/Bird type of guy on the squad :laugh:.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #278 on: December 14, 2019, 04:50:43 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
From Chris Forsberg:

https://twitter.com/ChrisForsberg_/status/1205499476418412544?s=20

Now if only we could sub in Kanter when we need him to defend against bigs posting up and then sub him out for someone else when we need to cover the P&R and then sub in a third person when we need some major rim protection...oh wait...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 05:00:20 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #279 on: December 14, 2019, 05:21:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
From Chris Forsberg:

https://twitter.com/ChrisForsberg_/status/1205499476418412544?s=20

Now if only we could sub in Kanter when we need him to defend against bigs posting up and then sub him out for someone else when we need to cover the P&R and then sub in a third person when we need some major rim protection...oh wait...
Exactly. Any centre upgrade would have to involve a centre who can do at least 2 out of those 3 things if not all 3.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #280 on: December 14, 2019, 06:49:35 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Kanter's problem is not defending bigs 1 on 1.

It's when Kanter is forced to play the pick and roll or he has to switch.

There's are reason why Kanter isn't the starting Center and he's only getting 16 minutes per game of playing time.