Author Topic: Ok fine, i'll be the first to bring it up... (BBD starting over KG, merged)  (Read 16444 times)

Re: Ok fine, i'll be the first to bring it up... (KG)
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Basketball is all about chemistry. Since KG original injury the starters dont seem to have it most nights. Could this be because as a team we are just to slow? Perkins,Pierce and a hobbeled Garnett is a extermly slow froncourt.

Davis will never be a better player than KG. Right now at this moment in time could he be a better fit for the team? The only way to find out would to start Davis and have Garnett be the sixth man. Doc doesnt have the jewels for this so we will never know.

Garnett is a faster defensive PF than Glen Davis even now.
Faster how?  not laterally. He has not been able to move side to side well since the original injury. My guess is he is probably 60% of what he did in 07/08.

Obviously Glen is hungry. Doc should give him a chance and see what happens. What would be the worse that could happen if he started Davis over KG?  KG feathers get ruffeled a bit. He would probably come in with more fire.
Laterally KG is still faster than Davis, add in his length superior rebounding, and superior jump shooting/passing and I don't understand this notion that BBD should start.

I mean BBD had 6 great quarters in the playoffs, does that really mean we should break up the chemistry of the starting five?

Chemistry of the starting five has not been there this season. Most probably due to KGs injury. This is not about Garnetts status as the top dog. This is about whats best for the team.
If your scared to tinker with lineups how do you ever know what might work better?

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2010, 08:30:52 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
While Beasley is 6-10, he plays like he's about 6-7.
Beasley is only 6-7 or 6-8 at the most.

I thought he was 6-7 myself until the other day when I looked it up: he's listed at 6-10.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_beasley/

Then again, isn't BBD listed at 6-8 when he's probably shorter than Pierce.

In other news, I still think that we need to be wary of Baby, even if I perhaps underestimated Miami.  I'm still not sold on them like I am say, Orlando, we're Dwight Howard is going to pose far more nightmares for Baby than Jermaine O'Neal is.  However, I think the point remains, a lot of Baby's buckets down low came when Miami was on their heels and playing at less than 100%.  When there were trying (the first quarter), he was getting rejected right and left. 

Now as other people have pointed out, that's because he was being misused.  We shouldn't be feeding him under the basket.  Still, if our greatest need is power down low and Baby can't provide that, Sheed is probably our answer. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:40:16 PM by Jon »

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
While Beasley is 6-10, he plays like he's about 6-7.
Beasley is only 6-7 or 6-8 at the most.

I thought he was 6-7 myself until the other day when I looked it up: he's listed at 6-10.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_beasley/

Then again, isn't BBD listed at 6-8 when he's probably shorter than Pierce.

I think Beasley measured in at 6-8 and a half inches and had a standing reach of about 8-8.

Edit: Oh, he's longer than I thought. It was 6-8 and a quarter inch + 8-11 standing reach which is above average for a power forward.

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Correction:  We are a better team when Glen Davis plays 20+ minutes a night and Rasheed plays no more than 10-12
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2010, 08:52:54 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Basketball is all about chemistry. Since KG original injury the starters dont seem to have it most nights. Could this be because as a team we are just to slow? Perkins,Pierce and a hobbeled Garnett is a extermly slow froncourt.

Davis will never be a better player than KG. Right now at this moment in time could he be a better fit for the team? The only way to find out would to start Davis and have Garnett be the sixth man. Doc doesnt have the jewels for this so we will never know.

Chemistry is very important, I agree.  But basketball is also all about physics, and physics is about energy.  Energy is often mistakenly equated with hustle, when it actually goes far beyond that.

Energy is all about power; capacity for vigorous action; strength or power efficiently exerted. (acc. to Webster)
Energy is the power that makes motors run.
When KG came to Boston and "changed the culture" around here, he brought a tremendous amount of energy that propelled this team to a championship.  Superstars have a greater amount of power than most other players, so they can increase the level of energy of a whole team.

Even though KG is relatively healthy again, I think his level of energy has declined (as has Pierce's).  He no longer dominates like he used to, and does not propel the team to the same level that he once did.  But he is still a great player, just that this team does best with the combined energy of the starters and the bench.  It's why "high-energy" players like Big Baby and Tony Allen lift the team when they come in, and the team does well when they get a decent amount of minutes. Everybody else feeds of this energy and it multiplies.  

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2010, 08:57:16 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
totally agree tp. Right now Tony and Baby are bringing alot of great energy. You want to harness that enthusiam to lift the team. Eventually this year or next Ray and Garnett have to come off the bench. I wouldnt wait till the wheels come off.

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Correction:  We are a better team when Glen Davis plays 20+ minutes a night and Rasheed plays no more than 10-12

Correction: We are a better team when Glen Davis plays 20+ minute sa night and Rasheed plays no more than 10-12 against Miami.

He may prove me wrong if he keeps his hustle up, but against the elite teams, we may need Rasheed's size and skill more than Davis's effort. 

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Rondo's return to full speed and Ray's 3 point shooting would have opened things up for KG just as much as they did for Baby.  That said, Baby's help defense on Wade was superb and he did a commendable job on the boards and presenting himself for open looks.  
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2010, 09:27:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Chemistry is very important, I agree.  But basketball is also all about physics, and physics is about energy.  Energy is often mistakenly equated with hustle, when it actually goes far beyond that.

Energy is all about power; capacity for vigorous action; strength or power efficiently exerted. (acc. to Webster)
When KG came to Boston and "changed the culture" around here, he brought a tremendous amount of energy that propelled this team to a championship.  Superstars have a greater amount of power than most other players, so they can increase the level of energy of a whole team.

Even though KG is relatively healthy again, I think his level of energy has declined (as has Pierce's).  He no longer dominates like he used to, and does not propel the team to the same level that he once did.  But he is still a great player, just that this team does best with the combined energy of the starters and the bench.  It's why "high-energy" players like Big Baby and Tony Allen lift the team when they come in, and the team does well when they get a decent amount of minutes. Everybody else feeds of this energy and it multiplies.  
There is something to energy and propelling your team mates.

But putting the ball into the basket, and making it more difficult for the opposing team to do the same is the end goal. KG is much better at that than BBD, no matter how eloquently you speak of his "energy".

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2010, 09:39:59 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
totally agree tp. Right now Tony and Baby are bringing alot of great energy. You want to harness that enthusiam to lift the team. Eventually this year or next Ray and Garnett have to come off the bench. I wouldnt wait till the wheels come off.

True.  There aren't that many cases I can think of where a player goes from starter to 6th man/bench player without changing teams (Reggie Miller excepted, but he ended up starting due to the brawl suspensions).  I'll also add PP to that, since eventually everyone ages and should transition to a reduce role. 

The thing is, of course, that for a starter to transition to the bench, there needs to be a reason, e.g. physical limitation (like tendonitis that more minutes would aggravate) and/or there being another player coming up to their peak as the former star eases down the other side.  We don't really have any players to even really compete with our starters for minutes, Sheed included.  Barring a significant trade or signing (I think one is likely), we'll see the same starting 5 next year, and the year after (if there is one).

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
We will see when KG comes back. And we will see when we play the Cavs. But the negativity against BBD is always the same posters always saying the same ole thing and it just doesn't fly any more, and frankly, never did make any sense. You started out with good thoughts, Muddy, but then turned around and cuffed yourself.
BBD will be starting with a good team in the future, if the Celtics don't grab him. And like one fella said, better to not let the wheels fall off the truck (that was funny).
I haven't seen a game this good all regular season. And Miami is a good team. The chemistry has been such that it looked like everyone out there didn't even care during regular season. No one could figure out what was wrong beyond speculation. BBD goes out there last night bursting with every single good quality we need for our team to win and now the bashers are still finding nonsensical excuses for not playing BBD.
So far as his shots getting blocked, 5 shots, 3 of those he was fouled on and was able to add points with his free throws. He also MADE some of those 'normally' blocked shots as he does each game, with 3-4 guys around him. And once again, he was also shooting his jump shot well, in addition to his amazing contribution in everything else in the game.
I noticed last night that Miami KEPT around 3 guys on BBD the whole time the ball was in our court. They just hovered around him. And yet, still....., he was the star of the game, along with Ray Allen.
BBD is the real thing. 

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2010, 10:29:23 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
And Fafnir, I think it's pretty clear who Birdbrain was talking about when he mentioned 'childish posts'.
The fatso, lard, bla bla bla post was ridiculously childish.

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77

But putting the ball into the basket, and making it more difficult for the opposing team to do the same is the end goal. KG is much better at that than BBD, no matter how eloquently you speak of his "energy".

Nobody is saying KG isn't better than Big Baby.  We're just saying we need contributions from both to win, as KG cannot carry the team like he used to.

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Nobody is saying KG isn't better than Big Baby.  We're just saying we need contributions from both to win, as KG cannot carry the team like he used to.
Plenty of people are saying they should split time, or BBD should start. Which are pretty silly in my mind, and don't reflect the reality on the court.

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
We will see when KG comes back. And we will see when we play the Cavs. But the negativity against BBD is always the same posters always saying the same ole thing and it just doesn't fly any more, and frankly, never did make any sense. You started out with good thoughts, Muddy, but then turned around and cuffed yourself.
BBD will be starting with a good team in the future, if the Celtics don't grab him. And like one fella said, better to not let the wheels fall off the truck (that was funny).
I think the criticisms of his poor defense and rebounding have always made sense. As does his propensity for getting blocked. Two good games don't erase those flaws from his game.

So far as his shots getting blocked, 5 shots, 3 of those he was fouled on and was able to add points with his free throws. He also MADE some of those 'normally' blocked shots as he does each game, with 3-4 guys around him. And once again, he was also shooting his jump shot well, in addition to his amazing contribution in
If a foul is called on a shot attempt it does not count as a block. So that's not true. I do agree that he did a much better job of creating space and getting to the line instead of allowing the Heat to time their jumps to block him after the first quarter.