Author Topic: Sheed by the numbers tonight  (Read 18202 times)

Re: Sheed by the numbers tonight
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm just hoping he keeps attacking the post during his limited minutes backing up Perkins. I also hope he can hit some threes against the Cavs, he's going to have to take that shot against their defense. Their scheme and execution will force it.

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
For the record I was a big fan of the Sheed signing at the time. I thought he was the best
FA available & was excited to see him in Green. That being said, I can also admit when I'm
wrong. And boy was I ever about him.

Green faith as for your question of who would be a better signing. I was one of the first
to start a Get Chris Andersen topic lol. I'm aware it was before Sheed and whatnot but I've
followed his career and story for quite some time and I thought he'd look good in Green. At
the time he had expressed interest in Boston if I recall correctly so I was all
for it. I love big guys who block shots and hustle for rebounds. Anti-Sheeds if you will.

I was at a game in the Garden, playin the Nuggets the year before he was suspended. I was
close enough to see a few hecklers in one of the front rows all over him. For his tatoos and
spikey hair. They were laying into him pretty hard. But he's such a nice & charismatic guy that
by the end of the game they were laughing and joking with him. Even cheered him after he "flapped
his wings" after one if his signature dunks.

in retrospect, i would have loved to sign andersen.  however, at the time i was glad we didnt.  taking a player after his issues with illicit substances would have been a poor decision.  visions of vin baker ran thru my head at the time.

i have no problem admitting i was wrong about andersen.  ive come to like his game a lot.

as for sheed, he was highly sought after by many teams this offseason.  the fact the celts put in the effort and money to build their bench up was very inspiring as a fan.  the issue with sheed is sheed.....not the celts decision to sign him.
It was two years ago that we flirted with signing Andersen though.  We chose Patrick O'Bryant instead.  I really wanted Andersen at that time, and he wanted to come here.  I wasn't scared of his drug suspension despite having gone through the Baker saga.  The guy is a good teammate and always plays hard.  He puts on a show with the whole Birdman persona, but he is far from a legitimate headcase.

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2010, 12:11:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Maybe Danny's frame of thought with McNabbing (Like that, huh? Redskins Fan here) Sheed was that he could spread the floor in a matchup with LA..drag Gasol or Bynum out of the paint. Sure, Sheed has not shot well from Three Land this year, but he is definitely a threat...especially if he can drag Bynum out of the paint.

And I'm sure that in a matchup with LA (Or ORL) We will see the Triple Towers at some point. LA is not that mobile, at all. We can take them.

Bynum was the only reason that LA (Bums) won last night, grabbing like 12 boards.

Yeah, it's hard to fault Danny's logic.  Rasheed has legit height, is a good defender, and has championship experience.  He was good friends with KG, according to reports.  The Big Three all wanted him here.  It's easy to see, then, what Danny was hoping for.

Unfortunately, Rasheed's efficiency fell off of a cliff.  This year, he set a career high in three point attempts per minute, and a career low in efficiency, field goal percentage, and fouls per minute.  His rebounds per minute was the lowest it's been in a decade.  Most disappointing, perhaps, was that he came into camp in terrible shape (he had a visible gut coming into the season), he was visibly lazy, and he had the lowest FG% in the second half of games of any NBA player playing 200+ minutes.

Now, most of us can excuse poor performance if the hustle is there (although Scal may occasionally disagree).  However, when there's poor performance coupled with absolutely no hustle, I think it riles the fans up.

Certainly understandable, Roy.

Sheed is Sheed..unfortunately in this day and age players are somewhat set in their ways. Sheed is like that.

He could've come to camp in better shape? He didn't look that bad to me..I didn't see too much flab on him, or Glen for that matter.

Hustle? Sure..he seems to have lacked some of it. I cannot call it. He played Huge on Christmas. And in San Antonio.

Maybe he is bored? I've never heard of a bored Boston Celtics Player. But I guess it can happen.

Maybe he is hurt? We all know the Celtics have players who try to play through their pain, even if it throws their games off.

Sheed has never went out of his way to endear himself to fans..he didn't do it in Portland. His best years may have been in Detroit, but maybe his flaws were overlooked because the Pistons were perrinnial contenders for like 7 years.

But he was still Sheed, even in Detroit.

My guess is he is waiting until Doc sees the right matchups. I'm glad that he is on the bench, available to us. And the Good Thing is that maybe the less he plays, the more confidence that Doc is showing in Perk. Perk has earned more minutes, I think.

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2010, 01:04:16 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Can't agree with you anymore dark lord and Mr. Hobbs. The saddest part about the whole thing is by all accounts Sheed was widely considered to be the best pick up. Danny and the C's were pretty much universally lauded at the time for pulling all the right strings to get him to sign with the Green.

Like I said, I was very happy and excited to have him here. Even went as far as paying for good seats in the preseason ( even tho fix are the same price as regular) justifying it by telling my girlfriend this is Sheeds first game in Green lol. I look back on this with a mix of sadness and disgust now.

I see him now for what he is. For us anyways he's been a complete waste of time and money. And for himself a complete waste of god given talent. He reminds me of Derick Coleman. Has all the physical tools attributes and abilities. But no inside motor pushing himself to use them. Sad really.

The excuses are varied and many. Some say old age. Some say boredom. Some even say it's not enough touches lol. Whatever is the case the excuses are growing old. As the say goes... "Put up. Or shut up." His talking has been there the whole time. He's gonna turn it on in the playoffs. This is why's he's here etc. And all his fans and apologists have been preaching these same things for months now.

Well the playoffs are here guys!! Haven't seen it so far. Hope I do for the sake of the team. But I personally just don't see it happening. Judging by the body of work I've seen this entire season. And through two games so far in the playoffs. Bash on that view all you want but the man and his effort speak volumes for himself.

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I give Sheed big props last night for his control. He was given a nonsense technical that would have never been called on anyone else. The ref saw the entire thing and allowed Magloire to hold onto his arm. There shouldn't have been any call on either of them. Sheed kept his cool. The next play down the same ref called another garbage foul on him and he let it go. In the regular season Sheed would have lost it and been screaming at the guy. Instead he realized he needed to stay in the game with KG out and played it smart. THOSE are the type of things that he changes in the postseason.

He has not had a huge numbers game in the first two, but has played within himself. Hasn't tried to do too much. Has taken good shots overall. He worked hard rebounding last night. No reason to rip on him. He's playing smart. He'll also be a hero one of these nights as well.
He didn't take wide open shots and then did take them with someone in his face. How is that playing smart? And I won't give someone credit for not going nuts. Even if the person is a nut.
COMPLETELY UNTRUE! Sheed has taken 1 three pointer in this series. It was wide open at the top of the key. That's his best spot. The rest of his shots have been down on the block where everyone here has whined and complained that he should be taking them from. Go look at the shot chart for each game. I'm not sure if you have ever played basketball before, but I have news for you. When you post someone up your shot is going to be in their face. That's kind of the whole point behind posting someone up. If you can figure out a way to talk the Heat into allowing Sheed to shoot from 7-10 feet without a defender on him then please let us all know. Somehow I don't think that's how it works.

Enough of the venom about Sheed in the postseason. He is doing EXACTLY what he ought to be and we are 2-0 in part because of it. He isn't launching a bunch of threes. He isn't shooting a huge amount of shots, instead looking to involve his teammates. He is playing hard on defense. He did a great job rebounding in last night's game. It sounds like the only way most people are going to be happy is if he is out there putting up 25 and 10. He shouldn't be shooting that many times to get there. The guy is doing exactly what he ought to. Props to you Sheed.

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2010, 01:28:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I give Sheed big props last night for his control. He was given a nonsense technical that would have never been called on anyone else. The ref saw the entire thing and allowed Magloire to hold onto his arm. There shouldn't have been any call on either of them. Sheed kept his cool. The next play down the same ref called another garbage foul on him and he let it go. In the regular season Sheed would have lost it and been screaming at the guy. Instead he realized he needed to stay in the game with KG out and played it smart. THOSE are the type of things that he changes in the postseason.

He has not had a huge numbers game in the first two, but has played within himself. Hasn't tried to do too much. Has taken good shots overall. He worked hard rebounding last night. No reason to rip on him. He's playing smart. He'll also be a hero one of these nights as well.
He didn't take wide open shots and then did take them with someone in his face. How is that playing smart? And I won't give someone credit for not going nuts. Even if the person is a nut.
COMPLETELY UNTRUE! Sheed has taken 1 three pointer in this series. It was wide open at the top of the key. That's his best spot. The rest of his shots have been down on the block where everyone here has whined and complained that he should be taking them from. Go look at the shot chart for each game. I'm not sure if you have ever played basketball before, but I have news for you. When you post someone up your shot is going to be in their face. That's kind of the whole point behind posting someone up. If you can figure out a way to talk the Heat into allowing Sheed to shoot from 7-10 feet without a defender on him then please let us all know. Somehow I don't think that's how it works.

Enough of the venom about Sheed in the postseason. He is doing EXACTLY what he ought to be and we are 2-0 in part because of it. He isn't launching a bunch of threes. He isn't shooting a huge amount of shots, instead looking to involve his teammates. He is playing hard on defense. He did a great job rebounding in last night's game. It sounds like the only way most people are going to be happy is if he is out there putting up 25 and 10. He shouldn't be shooting that many times to get there. The guy is doing exactly what he ought to. Props to you Sheed.

Good Way of looking at it, EJPLAYA. His stats aren't jumping out at us this Post-Season, but he isn't hurting the team, either.

I guess the glass will always be half-empty or half-full with Sheed. For me, the glass is half-full.

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2010, 01:31:43 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Can't agree with you anymore dark lord and Mr. Hobbs. The saddest part about the whole thing is by all accounts Sheed was widely considered to be the best pick up. Danny and the C's were pretty much universally lauded at the time for pulling all the right strings to get him to sign with the Green.

Like I said, I was very happy and excited to have him here. Even went as far as paying for good seats in the preseason ( even tho fix are the same price as regular) justifying it by telling my girlfriend this is Sheeds first game in Green lol. I look back on this with a mix of sadness and disgust now.

I see him now for what he is. For us anyways he's been a complete waste of time and money. And for himself a complete waste of god given talent. He reminds me of Derick Coleman. Has all the physical tools attributes and abilities. But no inside motor pushing himself to use them. Sad really.

The excuses are varied and many. Some say old age. Some say boredom. Some even say it's not enough touches lol. Whatever is the case the excuses are growing old. As the say goes... "Put up. Or shut up." His talking has been there the whole time. He's gonna turn it on in the playoffs. This is why's he's here etc. And all his fans and apologists have been preaching these same things for months now.

Well the playoffs are here guys!! Haven't seen it so far. Hope I do for the sake of the team. But I personally just don't see it happening. Judging by the body of work I've seen this entire season. And through two games so far in the playoffs. Bash on that view all you want but the man and his effort speak volumes for himself.
Great post.  TP.

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Sheed has something that Derrick doesn't have.

Championship Experience.

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2010, 01:49:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Sheed was certainly a flop in the regular season, but it's much too early to call him a flop in the playoffs so far.  

I've liked Sheed's defense and rebounding so far - I remember he and Baby disrupting a lot of attempts at the rim during our comeback in Game 1.  I also like that I'm seeing him drift to the 3 pt line a lot less so far, and spending much more time in the midrange area.

He hasn't set the world on fire, but he hasn't made many of those mistakes we saw in the regular season (that T was total BS).  We'll see if he contributes as needed for the rest of this series and through the Cleveland series as well.

And hey, if nothing else at least the folks who hate Sheed might get to see him get popped in the nuts again.   8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:58:25 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2010, 01:54:56 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Gotta give Sheed props for controlling his temper on the court lately. No back talk to the refs bad calls.  Of course, this should be an automatic but it is Sheed.  :)

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
And that experience means nothing if he doesn't apply it. And so far nothings he's done on the court so far screams, "I'm applying my heart energy and effort I showed on those championship teams in Detroit!"
So that's a moot point.

My main concern here is the Sheed aplogists arguements of, well he hasn't been that bad. Or he's been
pretty steadily mediocre. Obviously not in the exact same words. But that's the basic jist I'm hearing. Do you really beleive we brought in a guy and used our whole MLE just for him to "not screw it up". Or do for us what he has so far? I don't think so.

The real point is the glass is CLEARLY not half full at this point. It remains to be seen whether that may change if he steps up like he and all of you have said. But speaking for myself I'll have a very hard time beleiving the fact he earned the contract we gave him considering this first season of Sheed has been nothing short of a disaster signing.

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
So Celtics Hooligan you can't even believe that Sheed could pull a Tony?

TA was about to be shipped out of the NBA just a few months ago..but his play over the course of the season has changed some folks opinion of him.

I just hate to see folks just give up on Sheed. But that's your call, Man.

And Kudos to The Natural and the other Moderators here. I did not realize how much of a Lightning Rod Sheed has become, but at least you all are letting Boys be Boys and talk about it.

We got a little heated a while ago, but it's all good now.

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2010, 02:17:46 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
And that experience means nothing if he doesn't apply it. And so far nothings he's done on the court so far screams, "I'm applying my heart energy and effort I showed on those championship teams in Detroit!"
So that's a moot point.

My main concern here is the Sheed aplogists arguements of, well he hasn't been that bad. Or he's been
pretty steadily mediocre. Obviously not in the exact same words. But that's the basic jist I'm hearing. Do you really beleive we brought in a guy and used our whole MLE just for him to "not screw it up". Or do for us what he has so far? I don't think so.

The real point is the glass is CLEARLY not half full at this point. It remains to be seen whether that may change if he steps up like he and all of you have said. But speaking for myself I'll have a very hard time beleiving the fact he earned the contract we gave him considering this first season of Sheed has been nothing short of a disaster signing.

Can you please give us all the stat line that would make you thrilled with Sheed? Points, Rebounds, Blocks, Assists, # of shots taken, etc? I'm curious as to what your definition of success is.

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
So that's a moot point.

Can you please give us all the stat line that would make you thrilled with Sheed? Points, Rebounds, Blocks, Assists, # of shots taken, etc? I'm curious as to what your definition of success is.
There is no stat for effort.  No stat for not even getting in the way of someone driving to the hoop.  No stat for not running the court.  No stat for standing and watching opposing players take rebounds that should be his.  Sure, his numbers are bad, but thats not even the problem.

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I don't think he's played well, but he's played smart. Gone in the post consistently, refrained from jacking threes early in the clock, no nonesense with the refs (despite terrible calls in game 2).

He's a threat to have a hot shooting night and give you a different look off the bench in the big spots, so he's worth having for the playoffs, but just not worth the contract he has.