Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43462 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
It's pretty incredible that a player is begging to be bought out, after his 4th year rookie option was declined, and he's being told no. Colangelo is really screwing this up hard. Okafor made a good point that Noel complained, and he got traded, yet Okafor remained a good sport, and he's stuck. I hope they buy him out or move him soon, that organization as an absolute train wreck.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/jahlil-okafor-bryan-colangelo-sixers-buyout-request-rejected-20171101.html

« Reply #211 on: November 02, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It's pretty incredible that a player is begging to be bought out, after his 4th year rookie option was declined, and he's being told no. Colangelo is really screwing this up hard. Okafor made a good point that Noel complained, and he got traded, yet Okafor remained a good sport, and he's stuck. I hope they buy him out or move him soon, that organization as an absolute train wreck.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/jahlil-okafor-bryan-colangelo-sixers-buyout-request-rejected-20171101.html

If Okafor is bought out then I want him in green.  Brad is the ideal coach for a reclamation project.  As a fan it's hard not to look towards Okafor's upside when we have one of the coaches most likely to bring it out of him.

« Reply #212 on: November 02, 2017, 02:36:00 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

That organization has some nerve. Completely kill his trade value by not letting him play in a contract year but then turn around and reject a buyout because you want an asset in return for him? Just let the kid leave.

« Reply #213 on: November 02, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

That organization has some nerve. Completely kill his trade value by not letting him play in a contract year but then turn around and reject a buyout because you want an asset in return for him? Just let the kid leave.

They literally made it a contract year for him...

« Reply #214 on: November 02, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Is Okafor a RFA then? Or because they declined his option, does that make him a UFA? Saltlover?

« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2017, 02:46:41 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Oh that's right they didn't pick up his option! Nah the Sixers are completely outta line. I know it's a business but that's pretty foul.

« Reply #216 on: November 02, 2017, 03:03:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Oh that's right they didn't pick up his option! Nah the Sixers are completely outta line. I know it's a business but that's pretty foul.

that really is a crappy thing for them to do. 

if the C's really are interested AND want to keep the exception available for later this year, I wouldn't be opposed to them sending Nader to the Sixers or a second rounder.  nothing more than that.  the upside of sending Nader (other than I've had enough of him) is that it keeps that 15th spot open for now.  use that exception later in the year to add that last roster spot.  if Hayward comes back, no need to cut anyone under contract to have him join the roster.

« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2017, 03:03:06 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Would love to have him as a reclamation project.

I think trading for him would be our best bet assuming its cheap, that way we keep his bird rights.

Maybe Yabu and Nader and a 2nd rounder or something(can't see Philly getting much outside of a 2nd rounder.

« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2017, 03:19:21 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Ainge needs to be patient. Philly aren't gonna keep him all year, at some point he's more of a problem than its worth.

I'd love to see him in green, I think he deserves a proper shot at fulfilling his potential before he's cast aside. We'd be the best spot for him to prove himself and he'd add a dimension we don't have much of right now, a low post presence.

« Reply #219 on: November 02, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Would love to have him as a reclamation project.

I think trading for him would be our best bet assuming its cheap, that way we keep his bird rights.

Maybe Yabu and Nader and a 2nd rounder or something(can't see Philly getting much outside of a 2nd rounder.

Am slightly intrigued with getting Okafor, but Yabusele would be an overpay in my estimation. We just don't have enough data on Yabu to determine what his potential value is to the team. He certainly is better suited to play in today's NBA game than Okafor.

« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2017, 03:53:08 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

that really is a crappy thing for them to do. 

if the C's really are interested AND want to keep the exception available for later this year, I wouldn't be opposed to them sending Nader to the Sixers or a second rounder.  nothing more than that.  the upside of sending Nader (other than I've had enough of him) is that it keeps that 15th spot open for now.  use that exception later in the year to add that last roster spot.  if Hayward comes back, no need to cut anyone under contract to have him join the roster.
except Okafor makes way too much.  Yabu and Nader works financially, but I don't see why Boston would do that just for Okafor.  Makes a lot more sense to just use the DPE and a highly protected 1st for Okafor (something like top 25 protected).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Is Okafor a RFA then? Or because they declined his option, does that make him a UFA? Saltlover?

UFA, but if a team trades for him or acquired him through waiver, there are restrictions on the Bird rights they can use to offer a contract next season (they exist, but the salary can be no more than what he’s have earned if his option were picked up).

« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I think Okafor can still be salvaged, the man clearly has talent. He also has some glaring flaws, but being in such a terrible situation I guess he never saw a path to reach his goals and didn't bother to work on those flaws.

I mean, Philly didn't exactly do right by Nerlens Noel either. The Sixers stupidly drafted elite big men prospects in three consecutive drafts. Only a franchise run by the biggest of idiots does that. It doesn't excuse Okafor from not working on his game, but it does set the stage for bringing out a person's worst traits. Sometime people like that need a better support system to bring out their best.

Which is why I would be content if the C's took a flier on the kid. Maybe a better structure and player development culture is all he needs to be the best version of himself he can be. It's worth the gamble if the cost is low enough, and at this point I'm betting Boston might be able to get him for nothing more than the DPE alone, without including any other assets.

1) So much for "best player available" as the supreme drafting rule when it puts you in such a situation...

2) Could we just get him for the vet min after he clears waiver...??? (Which teams might be able to claim him...?? Could he refuse and join us...?? not too familiar with that waiver process...)
It's just that I want our DPE available at the deadline for a potential trade for a deadly 3pt shooter who can run through screens and can hit the turn around jumper... (a skill that his a HUGE advantage in the playoffs when everyone knows all your plays)
I'm thinking of someone like Belinelli  who is making 6+ million with the Hawks and has only 1 year remaining...

« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I think Okafor can still be salvaged, the man clearly has talent. He also has some glaring flaws, but being in such a terrible situation I guess he never saw a path to reach his goals and didn't bother to work on those flaws.

I mean, Philly didn't exactly do right by Nerlens Noel either. The Sixers stupidly drafted elite big men prospects in three consecutive drafts. Only a franchise run by the biggest of idiots does that. It doesn't excuse Okafor from not working on his game, but it does set the stage for bringing out a person's worst traits. Sometime people like that need a better support system to bring out their best.

Which is why I would be content if the C's took a flier on the kid. Maybe a better structure and player development culture is all he needs to be the best version of himself he can be. It's worth the gamble if the cost is low enough, and at this point I'm betting Boston might be able to get him for nothing more than the DPE alone, without including any other assets.

1) So much for "best player available" as the supreme drafting rule when it puts you in such a situation...

2) Could we just get him for the vet min after he clears waiver...??? (Which teams might be able to claim him...?? Could he refuse and join us...?? not too familiar with that waiver process...)
It's just that I want our DPE available at the deadline for a potential trade for a deadly 3pt shooter who can run through screens and can hit the turn around jumper... (a skill that his a HUGE advantage in the playoffs when everyone knows all your plays)
I'm thinking of someone like Belinelli  who is making 6+ million with the Hawks and has only 1 year remaining...
in this case, wasnt the real problem that philly did NOT pick the best player available and misjudged the talent?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

in this case, wasnt the real problem that philly did NOT pick the best player available and misjudged the talent?

Yeah I'm not sure anyone's bemoaning their string of big man picks if they'd taken Porzingis over Okafor.