Author Topic: What options are there in the Chinese League?  (Read 16939 times)

Re: What options are there in the Chinese League?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I always thought Terrence Williams was an intriguing talent, and still young.  Good size for a 2 guard (can also play some SF); he's 6'6, 220.

I remember being impressed with him on a couple of occasions. Once had a triple double in an actual NBA game.

See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_Williams

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think he would be a very interesting pickup to groom for next year.  He isn't the type of player you can expect much quickly though, at least in the C's complicated system. 

Wafer would definitely be an interesting target, since he (somewhat) knows the system.  McGrady also has the connections to Doc. 

Here are some other names:

Ike Diogu
Eddie Curry
Quincy Douby
Gary Forbes (he could be a real possibility)
Lester Hudson
Solomon Jones
Randolph Morris
Jackson Vroman
DJ White
Yi Jianlian

TWill and Yi would be my picks.
We have identified our first priority as a "ballhandling guard". I don't think Williams fits the bill.

Why can't Danny sign both and then get his ball handler?

An infusion of almost elite athleticism (TWill) at the wing and a big who can shoot (Yi), what's not to like.

Then, as Bleed says, if Danny feels the need, get a ballhandler from wherever.

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I always thought Terrence Williams was an intriguing talent, and still young.  Good size for a 2 guard (can also play some SF); he's 6'6, 220.

I remember being impressed with him on a couple of occasions. Once had a triple double in an actual NBA game.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think he would be a very interesting pickup to groom for next year.  He isn't the type of player you can expect much quickly though, at least in the C's complicated system. 

Wafer would definitely be an interesting target, since he (somewhat) knows the system.  McGrady also has the connections to Doc. 

Ike Diogu
Eddie Curry
Quincy Douby
Lester Hudson
Solomon Jones
Randolph Morris
Jackson Vroman
DJ White
Yi Jianlian

We have identified our first priority as a "ballhandling guard". I don't think Williams fits the bill.

An infusion of almost elite athleticism (TWill) at the wing and a big who can shoot (Yi), what's not to like.

T-Will can handle the ball just fine.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Ike Diogu
Eddie Curry
Quincy Douby
Lester Hudson
Solomon Jones
Randolph Morris
Jackson Vroman
DJ White
Yi Jianlian

i dont think the problems with williams are his physical abilities or basketball skills. i think the reason he is currently in china playing is because he very, very quickly wore out his welcome in 4 different nba teams by his behavior.

thus far in his career, he has focused on himself, not the team. from what i read, he has not been coachable. he showed up late for practices, time after time.

it appears that he has great talent but has simply knuckle-headed himself out of multiple nba jobs.

i would not mind him in for a 10 day trial to see if he has matured. but i doubt he has.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
These names are more intriguing than I expected. Ike is undersized but can be a manimal under the basket. Yi can shoot (but not defend or rebound). T Will sounds interesting but I don't know much about his game. Looking fwd to seeing Danny's pick ups.

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I never followed Diogu closely after his first couple of years - anyone know why he didn't pan out?

His career per-36 numbers were always very good. Career PER of 15.6...is he an awful defender or something?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dioguik01.html

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Ike Diogu
Eddie Curry
Quincy Douby
Lester Hudson
Solomon Jones
Randolph Morris
Jackson Vroman
DJ White
Yi Jianlian

i dont think the problems with williams are his physical abilities or basketball skills. i think the reason he is currently in china playing is because he very, very quickly wore out his welcome in 4 different nba teams by his behavior.

thus far in his career, he has focused on himself, not the team. from what i read, he has not been coachable. he showed up late for practices, time after time.

it appears that he has great talent but has simply knuckle-headed himself out of multiple nba jobs.

i would not mind him in for a 10 day trial to see if he has matured. but i doubt he has.

Might as well bring him in for the rest of the season at this point.  By the time his league ends and he's able, there will be, what, 50 days left in the season?  If Danny thinks he's the best guy out there, there's no point in fooling around with a 10-day contract.  By the time the 10 days are up, there probably won't be any other options available anyway, with the buyout frenzy that starts after next week's trade deadline.

I'm not necessarily advocating for him, as I'd rely on the Celtics scouting to make the best decision as to whom to go after, but if they do decide to pursue him, they should offer him the best deal they can, which would be fully guaranteed through the season, and non-guaranteed (or partially guaranteed) for next year, to serve as trade ballast if he doesn't pan out, or to be able to easily keep him if he does.

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 02:04:25 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Here is a list of all of the United States players playing in the Chinese League.  Just found Al Thornton!  :)

http://www.asia-basket.com/China/basketball-Imports.asp

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Ike Diogu
Eddie Curry
Quincy Douby
Lester Hudson
Solomon Jones
Randolph Morris
Jackson Vroman
DJ White
Yi Jianlian

DJ White is the name that jumps out to me. He is my favourite guy on that list.

Gary Forbes would be a fine SG/SF for the Celtics.

Not interested in signing any of the other names on that list.

Von Wafer or preferably Tracy McGrady above would also be good options. McGrady's size + ball-handling and PG skills would be a really good fit here. Give the team a third string SF and an extra lead guard where needed. 

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 02:39:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I never followed Diogu closely after his first couple of years - anyone know why he didn't pan out?

His career per-36 numbers were always very good. Career PER of 15.6...is he an awful defender or something?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dioguik01.html

Atrocious defensive player. Gives up more than he gets.

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
From Ben Rohrbach's twitter:

Doc says C's are monitoring China league, which ends in a week.

Von Wafer?

Starbury?

Tracy McGrady?

Pooh Jeter?

Where is Arenas?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I like Terrence Williams more with Rondo out injured.

I do not think those two guys could play together. T-Will is too dumb and high usage to make that combo work.

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 03:04:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
sum. yong. guy.................maybe ???

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
sum. yong. guy.................maybe ???
[dang] -- beat me to it!! 

could have said Moo Goo Gai Pan or General Tso's Chicken too.  Those are pretty good options as well  ;D

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 03:19:16 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I wanted T-Mac preseason anyway. With Doc handling vets the way he does T-Mac could go hard for 15-20 a night. Though he played really good ball for Atlanta last season especially in the playoffs.

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 03:22:32 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Tracy McGrady!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"