Author Topic: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband  (Read 20676 times)

Re: Westbrook sued by Jazz fan for threatening him and his wife
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2019, 08:37:45 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
White guy make racial remarks towards black athlete, subsequently gets banned from arena after  a team led investigation seemingly corroborates the story, turns around and now sues.

Sounds about right for America in today's day & age.  You could see that coming.

Wasn't a chance in hell an NBA team was gonna side with a white fan. Guessing their investigation consisted of, "Hey Russ, what did that racist guy say to you?"  More power to the fan.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #181 on: March 20, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
White guy make racial remarks towards black athlete, subsequently gets banned from arena after  a team led investigation seemingly corroborates the story, turns around and now sues.

Sounds about right for America in today's day & age.  You could see that coming.

Wasn't a chance in hell an NBA team was gonna side with a white fan. Guessing their investigation consisted of, "Hey Russ, what did that racist guy say to you?"  More power to the fan.

Well your guessing certainly seems rational and unbiased.

« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2019, 08:46:27 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
NONSUIT

« Reply #183 on: March 20, 2019, 08:47:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
The other day, some dude in a gas station parking lot threatened to kick my ass because he didn't like that I was over the line one side - no joke. Am I really allowed to sue him for that? Apparently, I should have taken down his information. Instead, I just got in my car really fast and got the heck out of there!

LOL this case will be thrown out of court.

« Reply #184 on: March 20, 2019, 10:01:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Instead, I just got in my car really fast and got the heck out of there!

Probably best thing you could have done, if you can't handle yourself which is 99.5% of the world.

« Reply #185 on: March 20, 2019, 10:04:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Well your guessing certainly seems rational and unbiased.

In another thread, he said NBA players look like terrorists. I think rational and unbiased are out the window here.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2019, 10:07:09 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Instead, I just got in my car really fast and got the heck out of there!

Probably best thing you could have done, if you can't handle yourself which is 99.5% of the world.

Even if you CAN handle yourself, it's a good idea not to escalate.  Never know who you're dealing with at any given moment.  Even if your Goerges St-Pierre, you aren't going to be much of a match for a handgun.

« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2019, 10:15:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The other day, some dude in a gas station parking lot threatened to kick my ass because he didn't like that I was over the line one side - no joke. Am I really allowed to sue him for that? Apparently, I should have taken down his information. Instead, I just got in my car really fast and got the heck out of there!

The legal answer:  you can sue, and you might even win.  The real question is damages.  What injury did you sustain, and how do you quantify that?  If you can no longer drive your car and have to go to twice-weekly therapy, you may have a case. ;)

My guess is that the fan here is seeking damages due to defamation, rather than injuries related to the verbal threats.  To win that case, though, you'd have to show that not only did the fan not say what Westbrook said he did, but that Westbrook knew or should have known that. 

The case isn't going anywhere, because it's essentially impossible to prove either way what was said.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2019, 10:24:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

The legal answer:  you can sue, and you might even win.  The real question is damages.  What injury did you sustain, and how do you quantify that?  If you can no longer drive your car and have to go to twice-weekly therapy, you may have a case. ;)

My guess is that the fan here is seeking damages due to defamation, rather than injuries related to the verbal threats.  To win that case, though, you'd have to show that not only did the fan not say what Westbrook said he did, but that Westbrook knew or should have known that. 

The case isn't going anywhere, because it's essentially impossible to prove either way what was said.

So something like...

RW rep -  Was that comment suppose to be racist?

Fan -  no

RW rep - So why are you suing my client?

Fan - because he made me look like a racist

RW rep - But you stated the comment wasn't racist?  My client, now accepts your clarification

« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2019, 10:37:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This story is from a week ago and was discussed in the RW thread so I'm merging it
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2019, 10:55:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

TP for the response, Roy. Always good to have a lawyer on staff! Of course I would never consider suing somebody for threatening to beat me up - I just thought it was totally bizarre and thought the parallels with the Westbrook thing were worth mentioning.

I REALLY hope this guy doesn't win, btw. Sounds more like sour grapes than anything else since he can no longer attend Jazz games.

« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2019, 11:27:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

TP for the response, Roy. Always good to have a lawyer on staff! Of course I would never consider suing somebody for threatening to beat me up - I just thought it was totally bizarre and thought the parallels with the Westbrook thing were worth mentioning.

I REALLY hope this guy doesn't win, btw. Sounds more like sour grapes than anything else since he can no longer attend Jazz games.

Yeah, that guy sounds nuts.  I had a similar incident about a week ago.  A guy driving behind me totally flipped out because I didn't immediately turn right on red (mostly because traffic was coming).  Laid on his horn for several seconds (not a beep-beep), hand gestures, got out of his car, insults, threats to beat me down, etc.  For temporarily yielding at a red light.  The world is full of crazy people.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2019, 02:09:31 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Should RW have threatened the fan? Probably not, as a general principal I'm against people threatening physical violence against other people. On the other hand I'm also not all that outraged that he did, because  if the fan was  a racist jerk (and so far the evidence seems to suggest so) then the raw emotional response from Westbrook is understandable. A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that RW has to rise above it in that situation, but that sort of response is never as easy in the moment as many of us like to pretend especially when the incident involves something as deeply personal as race.

The threatening of the wife is a little more complicated, but I don't know what role she played in the situation. If she was part of the racist remarks then again I have a hard time getting too upset about it. If not its out of line, but its not like he actually physically accosted someone here. All in all the fan getting banned and RW getting fined seems appropriate.

« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2019, 07:16:39 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
defamation?  Are you kidding me... what defamatory statement did Westbrook make? I have not heard Westbrook call this fan a racist. All the racism talk are opinions of the public from what the man said.

His only cause of action that is even probable and will avoid sanctions for frivolity is that he was assaulted by Westbrook.

Assault being the apprehension of imminent bodily harm intended by Westbrook and actually CAUSED by Westbrook's words and actions.. That is his only cause of action that will survive a demurrer or motion for nonsuit.

Relevant issues... how far was Westbrook from this guy, and did he or his wife really apprehend imminent harm from Westbrook?

Good luck with that.

He can attempt to sue for Intentional infliction of emotional distress, but he will need to show that Westbrook's action was OUTRAGEOUS.

The tort of negligent infliction of emotional distress is more troublesome because he needs physical injury to maintain that action. There was none.

I still believe this suit gets thrown out of court.

I can think of a number actions that Westbrook could file against this idiot in a counter suit.

« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Even if you CAN handle yourself, it's a good idea not to escalate.  Never know who you're dealing with at any given moment.  Even if your Goerges St-Pierre, you aren't going to be much of a match for a handgun.

I have disarmed both a gun and knife before in real life, nothing makes one angrier than when someone pulls a weapon you, trust me.