Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at 76ers (0-0) Preseason Game #1 12/15/20  (Read 35994 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) at 76ers (0-0) Preseason Game #1 12/15/20
« Reply #405 on: December 16, 2020, 09:33:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’m just glad it looks like we may have a bench this year.  Between Thompson, Teague, Pritchard, Nesmith and the Williams, we have credible options.

I would like to see us dump Edwards or Green (who played well) for a legitimate NBA player.
It's crazy how little Edwards has developed in his time here. Wish we'd nabbed Paschall or Fernando
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #406 on: December 16, 2020, 09:33:36 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I’m just glad it looks like we may have a bench this year.  Between Thompson, Teague, Pritchard, Nesmith and the Williams, we have credible options.

I would like to see us dump Edwards or Green (who played well) for a legitimate NBA player.

Semi's still gonna drive people nuts.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #407 on: December 16, 2020, 09:45:43 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't know how you could put Nesmith into the rotation, ahead of Langford, based on what we saw last night.  Langford played decent (at an NBA level) in real games and in playoff games.  Nesmith played barely above poor in a preseason game.  I am certainly not giving up on Nesmith but he has not earned anything close to a spot in the rotation at this point.  And have we forgotten that Langford looked decent when he did play?

The Pritchard to Mark Price comparison is also jumping the gun.  I remember Mark Price.  He was an excellent PG, more in the class of John Stockton or Steve Nash.  Price took the basic Pick and Roll to a new dimension with his shooting and ability (quickness) to "split" the double.  Pritchard did what he is supposed to do in his first preseason game.  That is terrific for a 26th pick.  Plenty to be excited about with Prichard, as a back up PG (at least for now).  I don't want to put a ceiling on him after one preseason game but he still has a lot to prove.  For now, I am happy to say he looks like a great pick and should help the team off the bench.

« Reply #408 on: December 16, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
If guys like Kemba, Langford and Thompson can't get healthy, we will see more of our 3rd unit.

Langford is third unit.

PP and NEsmith are well ahead of Langford on the depth chart.

Nope.

Please explain to me why a no shooting shooting guard will be higher on the depth chart than the best shooter coming out of college and onto a team who desperately needs shooting off the bench.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #409 on: December 16, 2020, 10:08:36 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
Romeo last season:
16 games appeared in, less than 10 minutes

0.8ppg, 0.3rpg, 0.3apg, 30% from the floor, 0% from 3

10 games appeared in more than 10 minutes less than 20
2.7ppg, 1.9rpg, 0.2apg, 20% from the floor 10% from 3

6 games appeared in more than 20 minutes up to 30 minutes
7ppg, 3.2rpg, 1apg, .40% from the floor, 20% from 3

He played above average defense.

There is zero reason to believe that he is going to be anything more than a situational player at this point in time. A Semi without the shot but better ball handling.

1 preseason game, which is Aarons first game back playing against hard competition that is not practive since his foot injury last year, he didnt shoot the ball at his normal (like most of the team honestly, alot of practicing, to be expected the legs are not there yet) and he still gave
8ppg, 5rpg, 1apg with some solid defense, I would say at least average if not above average.

Give him a few more games to hit his stride and he will be giving double digits per game.

Nesmith was the better college player by a long shot as well. No reason to believe Romeo is above Aaron in the depth chart at this point in time.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #410 on: December 16, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
As others have echoed, I kind of agree. I love that we might finally have a solid bench so long as we're healthy, or even if we're missing 1 guy we can manage. Teague, Thompson, Pritchard, Neismith, Timelord. I was encouraged to see the 18 points from Teague yesterday. He obviously won't be the same all-star guy in ATL, but can he come in and give us some scoring off the bench? I definitely think so.

Nothing against Wanamaker who is what he is, but Teague is a better scorer and facilitator and I guess he's the "vet" along with Thompson that this team and 2nd unit could use.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #411 on: December 16, 2020, 10:09:27 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
I don't know how you could put Nesmith into the rotation, ahead of Langford, based on what we saw last night.  Langford played decent (at an NBA level) in real games and in playoff games.  Nesmith played barely above poor in a preseason game.  I am certainly not giving up on Nesmith but he has not earned anything close to a spot in the rotation at this point.  And have we forgotten that Langford looked decent when he did play?

The Pritchard to Mark Price comparison is also jumping the gun.  I remember Mark Price.  He was an excellent PG, more in the class of John Stockton or Steve Nash.  Price took the basic Pick and Roll to a new dimension with his shooting and ability (quickness) to "split" the double.  Pritchard did what he is supposed to do in his first preseason game.  That is terrific for a 26th pick.  Plenty to be excited about with Prichard, as a back up PG (at least for now).  I don't want to put a ceiling on him after one preseason game but he still has a lot to prove.  For now, I am happy to say he looks like a great pick and should help the team off the bench.

COmparing Pritchard to Mark Price and stating that Nesmith was barely above poor last night is nuts to me.

'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #412 on: December 16, 2020, 10:10:26 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
As others have echoed, I kind of agree. I love that we might finally have a solid bench so long as we're healthy, or even if we're missing 1 guy we can manage. Teague, Thompson, Pritchard, Neismith, Timelord. I was encouraged to see the 18 points from Teague yesterday. He obviously won't be the same all-star guy in ATL, but can he come in and give us some scoring off the bench? I definitely think so.

Nothing against Wanamaker who is what he is, but Teague is a better scorer and facilitator and I guess he's the "vet" along with Thompson that this team and 2nd unit could use.

tague and PP played well off each other last night. I think we will see a fair bit of the 2 of them on the floor together with Nesmith at the 3.

Solid defense, scoring and playmaking out of that trio.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #413 on: December 16, 2020, 10:19:09 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
If guys like Kemba, Langford and Thompson can't get healthy, we will see more of our 3rd unit.

Langford is third unit.

Nope.

Please explain to me why a no shooting shooting guard will be higher on the depth chart than the best shooter coming out of college and onto a team who desperately needs shooting off the bench.

Part of it will be dependent on the rotations and experimentation but Langford is worlds better than Nesmith on the defensive end. Nesmith absolutely needs to improve there and Brad Stevens is likely to make him earn it on that end.

« Reply #414 on: December 16, 2020, 10:54:32 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

TP.

Agree with everything here. The rookies look like they could be positive contributors as the 9th-11th players in the rotation. Teague could be the guy off the bench that gives the team a good 10-12 points every night. And the Williams's are solid and will get much better as the year goes on.

« Reply #415 on: December 16, 2020, 10:57:21 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
There were promising signs last night and definitely some rust. That being said, slightly worried about how the team can cope with all the injuries early in the season (Kemba/Theis/TT). Can’t totally fall behind in the standings race with the compressed season (as well as with the uncertainty of all the covid stuff). Wish they had  another vet wing player.

« Reply #416 on: December 16, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If you watched Pritchard in college and then last night?

Same player. He has "his game" and based on last night the game seems it might be a "NBA game".

He doesn't have much lift and thus, when he drives he has to do different things to get the ball in. Kemba or IT he is not, but he knows how to pick his spots.

He knows where to position himself at both ends. He does not "watch" the game...kind of like Smart, but different.

The guy can shoot!  Each of his shots last night were the shots he was making in college.

He plays hard with a high pace. You could see for moments last night he was annoyed with his team mate's pace.

With about 3 minutes to go the Celtics hit two or three shots in a row and Pritchard was pushing the ball like it was the Pac 10 tournament finals.

I'm assuming Thompson will be back and Kemba won't be back for many weeks.

Teague
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Thompson

Theis
Pritchard
Grant
Assorted bench wings who can rise to the occasion or get a veteran wing...now
I don't see Teague starting. I am not sure that Green starting was a one off. I think Stevens wants Teague in that 6th man role and will keep him there.

So the starting 5 come the opener could well be:

Smart
Green
Brown
Tatum
Theis.

Thompson won't be starting as he hasn't practice or played NBA ball in over 9 months. Stevens said he would need to be ramped up, much like Kemba when he returns. Theis will be the starting center, possibly for the entire year, because he knows the system, has chemistry with returning stars on the team and simply, played great last year and has earned the spot.

« Reply #417 on: December 16, 2020, 11:10:40 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Langford is third unit.

Nope.

Part of it will be dependent on the rotations and experimentation but Langford is worlds better than Nesmith on the defensive end. Nesmith absolutely needs to improve there and Brad Stevens is likely to make him earn it on that end.

One of the biggest knocks against this team last season was outside shooting and scoring off the bench, and one of the best features the team had was its defense (without romeo)

So why add more defense when we need offense, makes no sense.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #418 on: December 16, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Langford is third unit.

Nope.

One of the biggest knocks against this team last season was outside shooting and scoring off the bench, and one of the best features the team had was its defense (without romeo)

So why add more defense when we need offense, makes no sense.
The reality is neither of these guys will play much. Langford is out until late Feb basically and Nesmith just got his first basketball action in like 9 months last night. We should be rooting for both these guys to improve because the Cs will need them to get some production from them.

« Reply #419 on: December 16, 2020, 12:09:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brad should tighten his bench for the final pre season game

Tacko, Waters, Edwards should probably not play unless its a blowout game

I would go with

Timelord
Tatum
Green
Brown