Author Topic: Did Kevin Love really just get snubbed in the AS game voting?  (Read 7711 times)

Did Kevin Love really just get snubbed in the AS game voting?
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:30:39 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
The guy is putting up historic numbers. Just silly numbers.

Griffin is amazing but Love could be the first player to do something since Moses Malone.

C'Mon now.

Re: Did Kevin Love really just get snubbed in the AS game voting?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:43:33 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't see anyone undeserving, so not a big deal in my opinion.

There will always be coin tosses.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:45:36 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
Of the players who got in, who would you remove?  Love is putting up historic numbers, but so is Griffin - and frankly, the Timberwolves suck, which doesn't help Love's case.  LaMarcus Aldridge deserved a spot too, but the West All-Stars are ridiculously stacked at PF.  There just weren't enough spots for all of the deserving players out there.

There's also the matter of entertainment value.  This isn't necessarily the way that I'd want it, but the All-Star Game is a popularity contest more than a merit contest.  People will enjoy watching Blake Griffin jump into orbit more than they will appreciate Love's positional rebounding prowess.  

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:21 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
Of the players who got in, who would you remove?  Love is putting up historic numbers, but so is Griffin - and frankly, the Timberwolves suck, which doesn't help Love's case.  LaMarcus Aldridge deserved a spot too, but the West All-Stars are ridiculously stacked at PF.  There just weren't enough spots for all of the deserving players out there.

There's also the matter of entertainment value.  This isn't necessarily the way that I'd want it, but the All-Star Game is a popularity contest more than a merit contest.  People will enjoy watching Blake Griffin jump into orbit more than they will appreciate Love's positional rebounding prowess.  

I understand the entertainment aspect but the coaches were suppose to pck the reserves. I think the Griffin pick came down from the league to tell you the truth.

There isnt one AS reserve with a better PER that Love. Griffins team has been better as of late but their record isnt THAT much better than Love's.

Love might be the best young boarder the league has ever seen. Oh yeah...he also puts up 21.5 ppg and can bomb it from deep.

I love Griffin and honestly I will probably enjoy the actual game more waiting for Blake to do something special, but Love is having a better season right now.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 02:58:46 AM »

Offline KobeShesNotConsenting!

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 132
These kinda posts are always gonna pop up and they're always subjective. You could easily also be angry about Lamarcus Aldridge, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, or Lamar Odom not makin the team, and those teams happen to have more than THREE more wins than the CAVS (I'm lookin at you, Timberwolves).

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 03:54:34 AM »

Offline KevinConnor

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
If only Love was a Celtic all hell would break loose on this board by him not being in the AS game.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:03:07 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
These kinda posts are always gonna pop up and they're always subjective. You could easily also be angry about Lamarcus Aldridge, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, or Lamar Odom not makin the team, and those teams happen to have more than THREE more wins than the CAVS (I'm lookin at you, Timberwolves).

Are any of those players putting up numbers never seen before in the NBA?

Aldridge is averaging a career high in minutes and cant break 10 rpg. He is playing 40 minutes per game and cant grab 10 boards.

Kevin Love is averaging 36.7 minutes per game and averaging more points and record breaking rebounds (in relation to his scoring)

Nash should have made it granted.

Parker no.

Odom...no Big Baby, no Odom.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 05:41:54 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679

Are any of those players putting up numbers never seen before in the NBA?

Aldridge is averaging a career high in minutes and cant break 10 rpg. He is playing 40 minutes per game and cant grab 10 boards.

Kevin Love is averaging 36.7 minutes per game and averaging more points and record breaking rebounds (in relation to his scoring)

Nash should have made it granted.

Parker no.

Odom...no Big Baby, no Odom.

You act like rebounding is a good reason to insert Kevin Love and leave off Aldridge.  Amare is a subpar rebounder for his position too, but I don't think anybody would argue that he shouldn't be at the game.  

LaMarcus Aldridge is the alpha dog on a playoff team (like Amare).  Portland has had every excuse to fold it in with the losses of Roy and Oden, along with the rest of their injuries.  Aldridge is the main reason why they're still relevant in the West.

Kevin Love's team is awful.  His record-breaking numbers haven't translated to many wins.  Fair or not - and given the number of quality alternatives in the West, I'd say it's fair this time around - good players on bad teams rarely go to the All-Star game.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 07:13:31 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
You guys forgetting that there will be another player in ASG as replacement for Ming Yao. I believe Stern picks Love and correct unjustice. Peace
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 07:15:35 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Can anyone make a serious argument that Tim Duncan played better basketball this year than Love? (I think I made this point in another thread, if I did, my apologies). Duncan has not played at an All-Star level this year. In a loaded conference, he shouldn't be in.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 07:54:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Its not about who is best, its about who can get the most votes.....

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 07:58:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Can anyone make a serious argument that Tim Duncan played better basketball this year than Love? (I think I made this point in another thread, if I did, my apologies). Duncan has not played at an All-Star level this year. In a loaded conference, he shouldn't be in.

Yeah, Duncan got the nod due to reputation a bit, I think, and to reward the Spurs.  He's not having an all-star year.  That said, I expect he's going to move into the West's starting lineup as an injury replacement, which I have no problem with.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 08:12:41 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Please, everyone, there's a tacit understanding that all-star games are for players who play on winning teams.  You cannot be an all-star on an 11-37 team.  I'm sorry, I think Wolves fans should be able to accept that, and I think Mr. Love should be able to accept that, as well.  I understand that some good players are stuck on poor teams, but then it's up to that player to put it on his own shoulders and do something about being on one of the worst teams in the league.  If he's not able to do that, then he's not an All-Star.

The real travesty to me is how Blake Griffin stole a spot from a deserving player like Tony Parker, Lamar Odom, or Lamarcus Aldridge.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 08:23:22 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I can't believe people are questioning Griffin's spot.  He is certainly deserving.  Love should have gotten in over Duncan, but I'm sure the 40-8 record helped Timmy's cause.  Bottom line is there are only so many spots.  You could probably swap positions 9-16 around and make a strong case for all those guys.  I'm sure Love will be Yao's replacement.

LA is playing great now but he's not an AS this year in my opinion.  He'd have no shot if Roy was not injured.  Don't get me wrong; LA is a very good player.  But it just proves the point that even on a bad team somebody has to get the stats. 

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 08:51:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Woj is reporting that Steve Nash is the heavy favorite to replace Yao on the roster:  https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/33312407816249344

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes