Author Topic: Jim O'Brien fired by Indiana  (Read 8073 times)

Re: Jim O'Brien fired by Indiana
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Who steps in? Larry Brown is dying to coach again, I hear.

Doubtful, I think Larry is done wiht Indy if not the entire NBA after this season.

The only way I see him coaching again is if ownership gives him one of those "you made your bed,now sleep in it" kind of orders, which I think Larry would follow out of sense of duty, but not desire.

I think Larry's going to coach again in college if he does.  It's been known that he has been involved in the collegiate game lately with John Calipari and Jay Wright.   
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I wouldn't mind seeing Obie give it a shot at head coach on the college level. 

I think he'd transition well there and be a pretty good coach. 

Same here.  I think he'd make a good college coach.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Doubtful, I think Larry is done wiht Indy if not the entire NBA after this season.

The only way I see him coaching again is if ownership gives him one of those "you made your bed,now sleep in it" kind of orders, which I think Larry would follow out of sense of duty, but not desire.

I think Larry's going to coach again in college if he does.  It's been known that he has been involved in the collegiate game lately with John Calipari and Jay Wright.  

I'd watch games he coached. That would be cool.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Sometimes the coaches are the sacrifices for lousy teams...no matter what you do as a coach if your guys aren't playing to the level they need be to win then its not the coachs' fault. Hibbert development hasn't exactly taken off and reached another level.He's very inconsistent from night to night if you keep up with his stats.Some nights he looks like the next Kareem and the next he will look like Dampier.D.Granger didn't become the player they've expected him to turn into either.They've had injuries hit them a lot in the last couple seasons.Tyler Hansbrough has not stayed in the lineup consistently enough to figure out what he's going to be.Its been one thing after another.Im not sure if the coach is the problem but as usually someone has to take the blame.You can't fire the players so whose next,the coach.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:47:10 PM by housecall »

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 05:42:37 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
The complaints that you hear from Pacers fans about O'bie are the same as the complaints that you heard about him when he was here - a ton of inconsistency with the minutes, and a complete and utter refusal to bend his "system" to fit the talents of his players. 

As to Vogel...  he can't be any worse than that clown that stepped in after O'bie quit here.  What was his name, John Carroll or something? 

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 10:25:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Any word on Frank Vogel? Will he finish out the season as head coach or is he just taking over the team for a few days until they find a replacement head coach?

I think Lawrence Frank would make a very interesting candidate for the Pacers post.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I wouldn't mind seeing Obie give it a shot at head coach on the college level. 

I think he'd transition well there and be a pretty good coach. 

Same here.  I think he'd make a good college coach.
cosign. 

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
He should come here and analyze games for CSN through the playoffs.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This was just a matter of time thing waiting to happen. With the length of how long NBA coaches stick around these days, this was bound to happen, and I thought it would have been a little bit sooner to be honest.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Great news for TJ Ford and Darren Collison. Hopefully they'll be given some freedom to be playmakers under their new head coach instead of Obie trying to turn them into Jarrett Jack / Steve Blake type players.

Good news for Roy Hibbert too. Hopefully, he'll given more consistent playing time.

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
He should come here and analyze games for CSN through the playoffs.

Why?  Tired of Donny Marshall talking about his playing days?

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
JOB's insane rotations and epic stubborness always cost him his coaching jobs. It's as if he likes to PO his GM's by gluing their young players to the pine..

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 12:10:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

I think Larry's going to coach again in college if he does.  It's been known that he has been involved in the collegiate game lately with John Calipari and Jay Wright.  

I'd watch games he coached. That would be cool.

You guys talkin bout two different Larrys  :D

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 12:38:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Great news for TJ Ford and Darren Collison. Hopefully they'll be given some freedom to be playmakers under their new head coach instead of Obie trying to turn them into Jarrett Jack / Steve Blake type players.

Good news for Roy Hibbert too. Hopefully, he'll given more consistent playing time.

should be good news for McRoberts too, he was glued to the bench for a long while with Obie.

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 12:45:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

should be good news for McRoberts too, he was glued to the bench for a long while with Obie.
It sounds like the new Head Coach has been given orders to play Tyler Hansbrough more minutes. That (not enough minutes for Tyler) was a big sticking point between Bird and Obie. He wants Hansbrough to remain in the starting lineup.

Paul George is also set to see more consistent playing time and the guard, I forget his name, the second round pick (Stephenson?), is going to get a run in the rotation to see what he can do (Bird upset he hasn't played at all).

So McRoberts is probably still in a fight with James Posey for backup PF minutes.