Author Topic: The Pump Fake  (Read 2627 times)

The Pump Fake
« on: January 26, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I'm amazed more people don't utilize this move, especially pure shooters. Not only to get themselves a better shot, but to draw fouls, a la Paul Pierce.

Can you imagine how devastating it would be if Ray Allen did this once or twice a game from 3 point range to get himself 3-6 more free throws? People know Ray's a shooter... they'll jump out of the gym the moment they see him lining up to shoot. Honestly, it's almost inexcusable.

Re: The Pump Fake
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Ray uses the pump fake...just not when he has an open 3.  He is such a rhythm shooter that I don't think it would be beneficial for him to use it like that.  Just catch, and use that lightning quick release.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:53:12 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The pump fake is certainly a lost art. However, nothing frustrates me more than the pumpfake foul call, when theres an upfake and the defender jumps into the player, its called everytime and I know Pierce is the master at it but I cant stand the call. I like seeing power forwards and centers use the pump fakes downlow.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:55:49 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There is no reason for Ray to pump fake on his threes. Pierce barely jumps when he shoots from 3. He also has a really slow release so he cannot get off many shots that Ray can. Pierce instead makes do with his pump fakes.

Why would anyone go for a pump fake from Ray where he doesn't jump? Have you ever seen Ray not jump hard on an outside shot?

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Ray need a millisecond to get his shot off and he's a JUMP shooter. Unless the defender has never seen Ray Allen shoot before, they know that unless he leaves his feet, he's not shooting.

He does use a nice mini pump fake to get into the lane. That is why you routinely see Ray get to the cup despite not having much speed.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
The pump fake is certainly a lost art. However, nothing frustrates me more than the pumpfake foul call, when theres an upfake and the defender jumps into the player, its called everytime and I know Pierce is the master at it but I cant stand the call. I like seeing power forwards and centers use the pump fakes downlow.

I agree.  It usually isn't a foul.  They just call it because it's contact.  As long as the defender is jumping straight up, it shouldn't be a foul at least.  I just hate the call, the offensive player initiates the contact, but it's a foul on the defender.  It's unguardable, that's another issue with the NBA.  They really don't let guys play defense, well they allow certain ones to play.  They've always allowed Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen etc to play physical, but when a guy like Tony Allen tries it's a foul.  The league is just so screwed up.
do it

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
Chauncey Billups' game is based on the pump fake. Gets the defender up in the air, then jumps into him "drawing a foul." Most annoying thing ever to watch.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »

Offline Celtics999

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 16
kobe uses it alot!

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 05:31:06 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Actually, now that I think about it, you guys are probably right with regard to the Ray Allen situation; it's a little too hard for him to really "fake" a shot due to the way he naturally shoots.

Interestingly, although Nate also shoots in a very similar way to Ray, I would argue that he could use a pump fake effectively. Here's the difference: people stay down on Ray because they know they're not blocking the shot and at best they'll just be getting a hand in his face. As far as Nate's concerned, though, defenders are more eager to actually try to get up and get a piece of the ball, so they bite more easily. Anybody find this plausible?

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 05:42:26 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't think it would work for Nate either.  The reason why Ray can't do it is because he's always moving and usually is shooting on the catch.  When Nate is getting 3 point opportunities it's usually in the same way.  It works for Pierce, because he's normally dribbling, picks his dribble up and then throws the pump.  A defender is more likely to fall for it then because Pierce doesn't have the option of putting it on the floor.  The other thing with Ray and Nate is when youre coming around a curl for the ball it is tough to stop on a dime.  It's easy to catch and shoot in motion, but to stop, throw a pump then either dribble or shoot it would be extremely difficult to not travel.
do it

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think it's more of perfecting the pump fake. Guys like Pierce, Kobe, Billups have really mastered it but I don't think it's an easy thing to do. I think a lot of guys pump fake but just doesn't fake guys out as much. I also think that there is an art to creating that contact after the fake. Even when Ray or KG do a pump fake and create the body contact it just looks awkward like they are barely drawing the foul.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I agree.  It usually isn't a foul.  They just call it because it's contact.  As long as the defender is jumping straight up, it shouldn't be a foul at least.  I just hate the call, the offensive player initiates the contact, but it's a foul on the defender.  It's unguardable, that's another issue with the NBA.  They really don't let guys play defense, well they allow certain ones to play.  They've always allowed Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen etc to play physical, but when a guy like Tony Allen tries it's a foul.  The league is just so screwed up.

If the defender is jumping straight up, then he can't be jumping into the shooter, as described.  If the shooter is jumping straight up and there is contact, then it should be a foul on the defender.  If neither the shooter nor the defender are jumping straight up, I think that is a foul on the defender.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 09:14:13 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!