Author Topic: Best basketball books  (Read 17412 times)

Best basketball books
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:55:10 PM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Saw the topic about basketball movies.

What about best basketball books?

I just got The Pistol from the library.

But what do you guys recommend?

Give me a book about the Celtics and a book that is non-Celtics related.

Re: Best basketball books
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 03:03:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I read this one ages ago, but it was a fantastic read

Swee'Pea and Other Playground Legends: Tales of Drugs, Violence and Basketball

Of course looking for it on Amazon I see it goes for $83 used!  Better be a hell of a book for that.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 03:10:21 PM »

Offline vw pirate

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Just about finished with "let me tell you a story"  It is a good read.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 03:17:07 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I am mid way through Pistol and it is excellent.   Let Me Tell You a Story by Red Auerbach is a must read if you are looking for a Celtics related book.

Another excellent book is The Last Banner by Peter May (I don't like May but this was a great book)

Unfinished Business by Jack McCallum was also a book I enjoyed. 

Second Wind by Bill Russell is a good one.

If you are a Bird fan, Bird Watching, The Bird Era and Drive are also very good. 

Reggie Lewis:  Quiet Grace was also a good book. 

These are all books I enjoyed a lot and recommend.   

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Fall River Dreams, its about HS Basketball at Durfee when Chris Herren was there, terrific read

Paul Shirley's Can I keep my Jersey was also a great read, very funny and insightful

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 03:31:24 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
why read when you can watch?

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 03:32:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My Losing Season by Pat Conroy

Just an awesome book, not about the NBA but basketball has a solid role in it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 03:34:13 PM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
why read when you can watch?

Oh boy...how do we answer this?

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 03:37:20 PM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
Not to upset the Bassy Haters but the "Through the Fire" book was really good too.

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 03:39:36 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Great thread, Mon....oh, too many...I'm definitely going to have to comeback with a few addendums later, but here's a start...

Miracle of St. Anthony - Adrian Wojnarowski - Incredible insider account of a season with Bob Hurley's team in Jersey City

Anything by John Feinstein, the master of the 'insider account' book - Season on the Brink; The Last Amateurs; I've yet to read his book from the '05 Final Four, but it's supposed to be great as well (and I think he was involved with the Red book, which I have but haven't gotten to yet)

07 Seconds or Less - Jack McCallum - Runnin' with the Suns in 2005-06...Eddie House won my heart over in that book long before he was a Celtic.

The Jordan Rules by Sam Smith and When Nothing Else Matters by Michael Leahy - the first is from MJ's first title season, the second from his comeback with Washington.  In some regards, it really takes away a bit from the "MJ is a god" legend, but I think both books add a very interesting dimension to who he is.

Back for more later...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline Simey1055

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Casa!

That is what they call him in the "7 second or less" very fun book.  Another one that I enjoyed is Loose Balls by Terry Pluto, its about the ABA and different yet interesting sorties within the organization. 

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
"Drive" by Larry Bird changed my life

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 04:48:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
someone mentioned it, but i'll second "can i keep my jersey?" by shirley, really give you insight into how, for guys not making millions guaranteed, basketball is kind of a brutal job.

and, its hilarious. kind of like ball four, the parts about kobe and baron davis are funny as hell.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Books are just like music, there's the mainstream stuff everyone has heard of, but there is also tons of stuff alot of people have never heard of but are still great.  Also the classics never die, a good book 20 years ago is still a good book today.  There is a lot of good basketball books out there if you want to do a little digging.

Foul! : The Connie Hawkins Story - came out in '72 and really thick, but a very good read and a very interesting story, talks about Connie Hawkins growing up poor, in college, the point shaving scandal, playing for the Globetrotters, playing in the ABA, and finally making it to the NBA after being black balled for so many years, very good stuff I think. Also has a good historical perspective on the battles between the ABA and NBA for players and how the players decided to play in which league.  On Amazon it has 14 reviews, and all 14 reviewers gave it 5 stars.  Also contains some classic underground basketball references about guys like Jackie Jackson, Roger Brown, and Jack Molinas (in case you really want to impress your friends with your basketball knowledge  ;)).

Spencer Haywood's Rise, Fall, Recovery- this book first came out in '92.  Talks about Spencer's very poor upbringing, about him playing in the '68 Olympics (which most top tier players like Kareem boycotted), talks about him challenging the NBA's established rule of only drafting players who graduated from college (so if you don't like all the young players in the NBA you can blame Haywood cuz he started the whole thing), and also talks about choosing to play in the ABA, crossing over leagues to the NBA, and Haywood's battle with drugs and recovery.  Good stuff again, and again a good historical perspective on the battles between the ABA and NBA for players and how the players decided to play in which league.

The Fab Five: Basketball Trash Talk the American Dream came out in '93.  I love this book, and I think it realy captures the players and phenomenon that helped transformed the culture of the NCAA and NBA to what we see now.  Basketball meets hip hop (although you have to wonder about its accuracy a little after Webber lied to a grand jury).

Sole Influence: Basketball, Corporate Greed, and the Corruption of America's Youth Came out in 2000, a great book especially if you were into mid 90's high school and college basketball and the behind the scenes recruiting of it all.  Great for the hardcore basketball fan because there are a lot of references to now seldom heard of basketball stars of the mid to late '90's (Felipe Lopez, Korleone Young Jaron Rush, Marcus Taylor, etc.) , and also many current NBA stars and players (Carlos Boozer, Tracy McGrady, Gerald Wallace). Talks about college recruitment and why some players may have chosen the programs they chose.  A lot of players mentioned here, enough noticable names to entice even the casual fan, but it mention tons of players that will really draw the hardcore fans in.

Shark Attack: Jerry Tarkanian and His Battle With the NCAA and UNLV Came out in '93.  You have to be careful when you read this book because it obviously is biased and tells only one side of the story, but it's a great story of how Tark built a powerhouse at UNLV and had that great team in the early '90's with Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, and Greg Anthony.  If you hate the NCAA read this book and you'll hate them even more.  You'll be surprised at how hard and unfairly the NCAA went after Tark (it is only one side of the story though). Also UNLV got a new president during Tark's days and this guy was jealous of Tark so he went after Tark too and tried to get him to quit.  What a witch hunt!  You'll feel sorry for Tark after you read this book.  And if you like Tark then Runnin' Rebel: Shark Tales of "Extra Benefits", Frank Sinatra and Winning It All came out in 2006 is also a very good book and tells Tark's perspective on everything and how he came up.

And the beautiful things about the older boooks is that you can get them used very cheap and build a very impressive library.  The books I mentioned are currently listed on Amazon used at great prices: Sole Influence for $0.10, Spencer Haywood's Rise, Fall, Recovery for $3.02, Fab Five for $0.43, Foul! for $7.99, Shark Attack for $2.50.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 02:37:06 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 10:32:01 AM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Drive by Larry Bird, Hoop Dreams (the book that goes along with the great documentary), or any of the books about Bobby Knight are interesting
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace